Rose Talk Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Watch This Space, more info coming.
by The Lazy Rosarian 21st September 2018, 06:25

» A Rose by any other name ...
by The Lazy Rosarian 17th September 2018, 19:26

» Looking for "St Brigid's Rose"
by The Lazy Rosarian 11th August 2018, 06:50

» And for David while he is away.
by neptune 19th July 2018, 23:57

» Wanting to talk with old roserian friends again, and new roserians friends too !
by rosemeadowtasmania 14th July 2018, 22:54

» Premature Petal dropping- Perth
by rosemeadowtasmania 5th July 2018, 15:27

» Vale: Meryl Constance
by rosemeadowtasmania 5th July 2018, 13:55

» Newbie to roses and forums for that matter!
by Steph 28th June 2018, 09:39

Climbing Rose Care

3 posters

Go down

Climbing Rose Care Empty Climbing Rose Care

Post by heartofhush 28th July 2009, 11:04

Hi all
I have a climbing rose or maybe its a weeping or rambler, I dont really know.
It has like burgundy-maroon coloured roses on it, it grows up.I will take some embarrassing photos of what it looks like.

But what i wanted to ask is this,
I have read that now is the time to cut roses back.

I have heard on gardening shows you cant hurt a rose plant by not knowing exactly how to cut back a rose plant, so i have in the past just cut it back.

Is NOW the time to cut it back and then is there anything else i should be doing for this rose plant.
I have ordered some rose food or can any plant food be used that may include feeding roses.

Can i use the parts I cut back to try my hand at propagating them.

I have read also that just a piece of stem will grow, i am not sure of the correct wording, but to me when you cut it to size it looks like a stick, a pencil sort of..sorry.

I have read also that it is best to use a piece of plant that looks like a Y.
I am not sure of the correct term but thats how i see it and understand it.

Anyways if you wouldnt mind letting me know is there anything i should be doing after i cut it back or before spring comes in.

Thank you for any help you can offer.
Lu

[left]
heartofhush
heartofhush

Number of posts : 29
Registration date : 2009-07-21

Back to top Go down

Climbing Rose Care Empty Re: Climbing Rose Care

Post by rosemeadow 29th July 2009, 00:20

Hi Lu,
I am not really into prunning much yet and I don't know if I ever will be. My friend Jenny once said that it can destroy the natural shape of a bush.
I have pruned my cut roses that were in my hot house and they grew back beatifully. I have since moved them out into the garden and I will just be cutting off the dead wood this time.
Also I have pruned minatures right to the ground years ago, because I read or heard you should do this, and they come back beautifully. But I definnitely won't be doing that to my minatures now. I reckon why cut the growth off so the plant has to grow it all over again. I just cut dead wood out, and dead head. Dead head the dead roses and stalks after every blooming and that will keep the bush repeating its bloom, which happens about every 6 weeks. Unless you would rather keep the hips for seeds to grow your own roses from.
Up here, because of late frost they prune latter in August.
Someone else here could tll you the benifits of prunning.
I don't fertilize my roses, not let anyway, there is too many and I do have good soil. I have in prevous years mulched with Lucerne dust that I collected for free from the prodce mill.
When you do cuttings, cut just below a shoot or bud. That is where the growing hormones are. I only take cuttings from the tops of the rose canes that have a dead rose on it. You cut the dead bloom off, and in winter strip the leaves off. I use creek sand for them to start growing in, my ownroot yyoung roses have lived in this sand in the pots for a year when it was too dry to plant them out. Keep the pots of cuttings in a shade house or deep shade and keep moist. Some cuttings will look like they are growing because they shoot new leaves, but that doesn't mean they have struck roots.

rosemeadow

Number of posts : 902
Registration date : 2009-01-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin 29th July 2009, 18:58

Hi Lu,

What Karen has said is right on the money. Something that Dee once told me was that she takes her cue from the rose; if it was dead it was removed and if it was in the way it was removed... but apart from that it was pretty much just a clean up/dead head/etc and not a full on prune. I do this mostly as well. You've mentioned before that your climber is once flowering. Pruning it now could mean you might prune off all the new flowers because often the once flowerers do so on old wood. To prune a climber like that successfully, so that you still get flowers, you need to wait until after it has flowered then prune it how you want it and then leave it again until it has flowered next year etc. If it is a repeat flowering climber then you can prune lightly now but you can also not do anything and get equally good results. If it is newly planted don't touch it for a few years until it is very established. If you cut your rose back after it has flowered you have, as Karen said, the perfect pieces for cuttings. That is a stem that has just flowered. On another note... it also depends what state the rose is in now and how you ultimately want it to look too. If you want it trained flat against a wall then you could wait until it has flowered this season and then cut it back hard and then begin training it by pegging down the new shoots so they grow out horizontally (you'll get heaps of flowers this way). If you want it to grow up around a pillar then you can wind the new stems around the pillar as they lengthen. If you want to to grow up a tree you can choose the strongest leader to run up the tree and then let it go and do its thing... so I guess it depends how you want it to look and how it is growing now.

My hunch is this... your rose is 'Dr Huey'. 'Dr Huey' is a rose variety often used as an understock because it strikes really easily, has a strong root system and is very vigorous. Often what happens is the rose grafted onto it dies and the understock shoots producing these lovely dark burgundy coloured flowers. It's a really lovely rose in its own right and it is a vigorous climbing rose that can also be grown as a large shrub because it has a layering growth habit. I've seen the most amazing photos of this rose being grown over arches and pergolas covering them in a mass of lovely red/burgundy flowers. It is a once-flowering rose with non-rambler-like foliage... the foliage gets mildew very easily here in Tasmania and it does poorly on acidic soil preferring neutral to slightly alkaline soils. If it IS 'Dr Huey' you shouldn't prune it now. You should wait until it has flowered or not at all. If it IS 'Dr Huey' you will have no trouble striking a few plants but you will have trouble selling the plants because it is most often associated with being an understock. You can, however, strike as many as you want and then have a go at budding other roses onto it to increase your collection. This is a rewarding and relatively cheap way of increasing your collection, you can trade plants with your friends, and is pretty easy to do... even I can do it! So... that's my hunch. I photo would confirm it but I'd be prepared to put $5 on it Wink

Admin

Number of posts : 3750
Registration date : 2008-02-08

http://www.rosetalkaustralia.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down