Rose Talk Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Watch This Space, more info coming.
by The Lazy Rosarian 21st September 2018, 06:25

» A Rose by any other name ...
by The Lazy Rosarian 17th September 2018, 19:26

» Looking for "St Brigid's Rose"
by The Lazy Rosarian 11th August 2018, 06:50

» And for David while he is away.
by neptune 19th July 2018, 23:57

» Wanting to talk with old roserian friends again, and new roserians friends too !
by rosemeadowtasmania 14th July 2018, 22:54

» Premature Petal dropping- Perth
by rosemeadowtasmania 5th July 2018, 15:27

» Vale: Meryl Constance
by rosemeadowtasmania 5th July 2018, 13:55

» Newbie to roses and forums for that matter!
by Steph 28th June 2018, 09:39

Pre-callousing cuttings...

+11
Abbi
Meryl
OzRose
Dave
Alee
Barbara B
Ozeboy
The Lazy Rosarian
orchid40
Bemo
Admin
15 posters

Page 5 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Go down

Pre-callousing cuttings... - Page 5 Empty Re: Pre-callousing cuttings...

Post by Admin 10th July 2011, 16:13

One thing I'd like to know, however, is just how much of a problem are nematodes to roses here in Australia? Do we even need to worry about this?

Thought I'd show you some pretty amazing results I got today:

Photo one is of two cuttings of an Australian bred rose called 'Tarrawarra'. These were sent to me by Patricia Routley in WA less than 2 weeks ago and today I found roots like this already reaching 2cm long. This is the fastest results I have had yet. It makes sense, however, that these would be fast. It's a John Nieuwesteeg seedling thought to be from Rosa multiflora 'nana' (though the references on HMF vary a bit in the exact details) so it is essentially a multiflora hybrid (see: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] I have managed to get multiflora understocks to this stage in around 18 days in spring... but have never got a result this strong this fast from any other rose.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

This second photo is of cuttings of my ogr 'Leda'. 'Leda' is a Damask rose and for a very long time all the cuttings failed on me. Then I tried this method on it last season and managed to get about 10 plants. These we all sold or givene to friends and seemed pretty popular so this season I made a bigger batch of cuttings to sell and so far, these three week old cuttigns all seem to be well on their way. With roses like this I could easily make several hundred a year like this for very little trouble. I've potted these all up and in a few weeks will put them into teh ground to grow until next winter when I will dig them up, clean them up and sell them bare root to help off-set the cost of buying new breeding plants and build new fences and beds for trialling.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Admin

Number of posts : 3750
Registration date : 2008-02-08

http://www.rosetalkaustralia.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozeboy 12th July 2011, 08:50

Simon, have chip budded 6 Fortuniana on Multiflora this week. The Fortuniana has very little rhind and as hard as hell but the buds look OK.

Have also budded about 40 HT's two weeks back and they are doing very well.

Who said you can't get good results budding in mid winter.

Greatest problem is finding Sion new growth buds on a growing cane.

Ozeboy

Number of posts : 1673
Registration date : 2008-12-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozeboy 16th July 2011, 19:24

Simon, I find Multiflora callus so quickly and if left in the hessian the roots start to grow into the hessian. Best temperature is 20 to 25 degrees C to get cuttings callusing quickly. The Tarrawarra you pictured obviously calluses without fungus problems.
The Fortuniana cuttings are starting to shoot well with some 10mm long but no callusing starting yet. They are not showing any damping off so have my fingers crossed commercial quantities can be propagated in this way. There would be about 50 cuttings ,some too thin to use for putting buds on.

It's early days but feeling a little confident

Ozeboy

Number of posts : 1673
Registration date : 2008-12-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin 16th July 2011, 19:49

Good to hear, Bruce. Do you intend to sell them as 'Fortuniana' or do you intend to graft onto the 'Fortuniana' and use it as an interstock?

Admin

Number of posts : 3750
Registration date : 2008-02-08

http://www.rosetalkaustralia.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5