Rose Talk Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Watch This Space, more info coming.
by The Lazy Rosarian 21st September 2018, 06:25

» A Rose by any other name ...
by The Lazy Rosarian 17th September 2018, 19:26

» Looking for "St Brigid's Rose"
by The Lazy Rosarian 11th August 2018, 06:50

» And for David while he is away.
by neptune 19th July 2018, 23:57

» Wanting to talk with old roserian friends again, and new roserians friends too !
by rosemeadowtasmania 14th July 2018, 22:54

» Premature Petal dropping- Perth
by rosemeadowtasmania 5th July 2018, 15:27

» Vale: Meryl Constance
by rosemeadowtasmania 5th July 2018, 13:55

» Newbie to roses and forums for that matter!
by Steph 28th June 2018, 09:39

Another way to treat ramblers/climbers

+5
orchid40
Abbi
Billndee
Barbara B
Admin
9 posters

Go down

Another way to treat ramblers/climbers Empty Another way to treat ramblers/climbers

Post by Admin 18th May 2009, 23:06

I had to share this link.... I love everythng about this: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]. Beautifully photographed and inspirational. No excuse not to put some climbers in now hey...

Admin

Number of posts : 3750
Registration date : 2008-02-08

http://www.rosetalkaustralia.com

Back to top Go down

Another way to treat ramblers/climbers Empty Re: Another way to treat ramblers/climbers

Post by Barbara B 19th May 2009, 08:10

Hi Simon,
very interesting. I might try that with a couple of mine and see what happens. It might solve the problem of climbers with nowhere to put them, too.
Barbara B

Barbara B

Number of posts : 429
Registration date : 2009-05-14

Back to top Go down

Another way to treat ramblers/climbers Empty Re: Another way to treat ramblers/climbers

Post by Billndee 19th May 2009, 08:36

Aha! Thank you Simon for highlighting that link.
Articles I have seen in the past show roses pegged out to the ground, spreading widely. The concept shown in this link could solve a few problems for me because that is pegging with a difference.
Mme. Hardy and Crocus Rose are two roses I have that hit out across the path every summer no matter how hard I have pruned them. So I think I will have a look at them now and tie them down instead. Idea

Billndee

Number of posts : 403
Registration date : 2008-02-23

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin 11th June 2009, 19:13

I have seen this method before, but not done on roses. I've seen it done with bouganvillea and they call it cartwheeling and it's the first step in making a standard boug... you wrap it around on itself until you get a strong vertical leader shoot up after which you trim the wrapped up portion off to make the new straight strong leader the 'trunk' of the standard. Looks pretty effective on roses doesn't it?

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Abbi 11th June 2009, 19:52

Hey that looks great. thanks for the link. Can't wait to have a climber big enough to do it with! Exclamation

Abbi

Number of posts : 254
Registration date : 2008-02-24

Back to top Go down

Post by orchid40 12th June 2009, 10:34

I thought I'd done that with Just Joey, who suddenly threw out a long cane. Lots of new growth appeared and lots of buds. I got quite excited until the buds opened - it was Dr Huey - rootstock. Doh!!
I'll try it with Othello, and maybe Falstaff, next.

orchid40

Number of posts : 622
Registration date : 2008-02-10

http://orchid40-valsobsession-orchid40.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Billndee 12th June 2009, 15:35

Today I worked around my New Dawn rambler and instead of chopping off everything that was reaching out to grab me, I tucked them back into the bush. It will be interesting to see how it flowers next spring.
I imagine this method of control will tame the rambler so that it produces less huge canes.

Billndee

Number of posts : 403
Registration date : 2008-02-23

Back to top Go down

Post by Ripley 12th June 2009, 17:23

Definitely going to try it with my Mme Hardy like you suggested Simon, and my Heritage has thrown out 2 lovely big canes just begging to be tied down.
Ripley
Ripley

Number of posts : 184
Registration date : 2009-06-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Carole 12th June 2009, 17:41

Give this some thought, we Bonica and it throws out some long canes, what do the members think.
Carole
Carole

Number of posts : 1034
Registration date : 2009-04-16

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin 12th June 2009, 18:02

My Bonica doesn't send out long canes Carole... I'd be checking it out as a possible rootstock candidate too.

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin 12th June 2009, 18:06

Billndee wrote:I imagine this method of control will tame the rambler so that it produces less huge canes.

Maybe... on the other hand it might cause it to form a whole lot more too as each of the laterals that are awakened by the horizontal stems will each turn into a long leader. Maybe because it has to divide its resources between all the laterals their individual growth of each will be reduced too... will be interesting to see how it turns out.

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Alee 13th June 2009, 03:46

I've tucked my Don Juan and Jeanne La Joie.

Alee

Number of posts : 239
Registration date : 2009-02-06

Back to top Go down

Post by ChristieB 29th August 2011, 12:10

Embarassed I'm a bit embarrassed to resuscitate such an old thread, but I spent a good hour and a half on the weekend trying this technique on an over-exuberant rambler (no idea re: precise identification, but it would take over the whole fence and next door's garden if it could!).

It was not an easy job, and the idea of simply twining the canes on themselves did not really work, (I resorted to rubberised wire but would use twine in the future) but the result is much tidier than the original sprawl. I will be interested to see how it goes over summer. Very Happy

ChristieB

Number of posts : 6
Registration date : 2011-03-20

Back to top Go down

Post by Barbara B 29th August 2011, 13:35

Hi Christie,
send in a photo of the rambler - I'm sure there'll be someone here who can identify it for you.
Barbara B

Barbara B

Number of posts : 429
Registration date : 2009-05-14

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down