Rose Talk Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Watch This Space, more info coming.
by The Lazy Rosarian 21st September 2018, 06:25

» A Rose by any other name ...
by The Lazy Rosarian 17th September 2018, 19:26

» Looking for "St Brigid's Rose"
by The Lazy Rosarian 11th August 2018, 06:50

» And for David while he is away.
by neptune 19th July 2018, 23:57

» Wanting to talk with old roserian friends again, and new roserians friends too !
by rosemeadowtasmania 14th July 2018, 22:54

» Premature Petal dropping- Perth
by rosemeadowtasmania 5th July 2018, 15:27

» Vale: Meryl Constance
by rosemeadowtasmania 5th July 2018, 13:55

» Newbie to roses and forums for that matter!
by Steph 28th June 2018, 09:39

Trialling climbers

2 posters

Go down

Trialling climbers Empty Trialling climbers

Post by Admin 2nd March 2009, 20:26

I've been trying to think of the best way to trial climber seedlings (because I am anticipating a few this year) in terms of space efficiency and structures and so far the best option I can come up with is to plant them in beds against a few strands of wire strained between a few star pickets... any bright ideas... space is not really an issue as I can always put them in the back paddock but I still want to be efficient as I can see they might be there for a few years and the numbers will increase over the years... Rolling Eyes

Admin

Number of posts : 3750
Registration date : 2008-02-08

http://www.rosetalkaustralia.com

Back to top Go down

Trialling climbers Empty Re: Trialling climbers

Post by Guest 2nd March 2009, 22:25

Was at an old nursery and that is how they did it. had a large display bed of about 5 rows of climbers, and maybe 12 ft wide paths between the rose. Looked nice and good way for people to look at them.

Only a star picket and plain wire would not be strong enough nor tall enough for climbers. The will end up being way to big and fall back over on themselves or wave big arms around in the sky. That will make them difficult to handle and take care of. I would sugest at least 8 ft tall and 10 would be better, and cable instead of wire. Also end stays like they do on vineyards. (my Sally Holmes tore apart her heavy gauge wire grid on the fence this year, she got too heavy and she is a polite climber) Some climbings, teas cl and noisettes will rip concret grid iron off the supports and take it up with them as they grow...Monsters some of them can be.

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin 2nd March 2009, 22:35

Shocked

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Billndee 3rd March 2009, 09:10

Can you source some old or not so old sheep and lamb fencing mesh? Concrete reinforcing mesh would hold anything but it is dearer.
How high do you want the climbers to grow? You are only trialling them aren't you? If you can keep them low along a fencing wire then height is not a problem. You will probably be culling a few before they reach the sky and that will leave room for the others.

Billndee

Number of posts : 403
Registration date : 2008-02-23

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin 3rd March 2009, 19:07

Yeah... I'd like to think that I would trial anything for quite a few years before making many rash decisions... there will be obvious culls... I'm thinking more long term when more are added to the ranks.

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down