Rose Talk Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Watch This Space, more info coming.
by The Lazy Rosarian 21st September 2018, 06:25

» A Rose by any other name ...
by The Lazy Rosarian 17th September 2018, 19:26

» Looking for "St Brigid's Rose"
by The Lazy Rosarian 11th August 2018, 06:50

» And for David while he is away.
by neptune 19th July 2018, 23:57

» Wanting to talk with old roserian friends again, and new roserians friends too !
by rosemeadowtasmania 14th July 2018, 22:54

» Premature Petal dropping- Perth
by rosemeadowtasmania 5th July 2018, 15:27

» Vale: Meryl Constance
by rosemeadowtasmania 5th July 2018, 13:55

» Newbie to roses and forums for that matter!
by Steph 28th June 2018, 09:39

Can we talk yellow/peach/salmon/apricot climbers?

5 posters

Go down

Can we talk yellow/peach/salmon/apricot climbers? Empty Can we talk yellow/peach/salmon/apricot climbers?

Post by muscovyduckling 5th July 2014, 21:37

Particularly very smelly ones that are not too thorny? I want two to cover our little carport, and husband will be very unforgiving if he gets mauled by thorns on a weekly basis.

As you all probably know, I'm very into the old fashioned roses, but I'm open to anything. As long as it's smelly!

I've got the hots for Juane Desprez and Mme Jules Gravereaux at the moment, so anything you can tell me about those two would be nice. Mme Berard and E Veyrat Hermanos look nice too, and so does Cl. Lady Hillingdon. I love Adam but I think he might be too wimpy to get over the carport.

Also, for Crepuscule lovers - can this rose be grown as an actual climber, or is it really just a big bushy sprawly shrub that can crawl over things? I'm wondering if it might fit the bill, or if it will just eat the ute? Hehe.
muscovyduckling
muscovyduckling

Number of posts : 771
Registration date : 2013-10-29

Back to top Go down

Can we talk yellow/peach/salmon/apricot climbers? Empty Re: Can we talk yellow/peach/salmon/apricot climbers?

Post by The Lazy Rosarian 6th July 2014, 06:50

Hi Zoe, Crepuscule "will" grow like a climber, "BUT" it does take a minimum of three years to establish it's self, IMO it is worth the wait, ours have just finished flowering, I think patience with this one will reward you.

Juane Desprez has been on my radar for a while, I would give it a go,
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
The Lazy Rosarian
The Lazy Rosarian

Number of posts : 5191
Registration date : 2009-01-11

Back to top Go down

Can we talk yellow/peach/salmon/apricot climbers? Empty Re: Can we talk yellow/peach/salmon/apricot climbers?

Post by muscovyduckling 6th July 2014, 10:17

Thanks David, perhaps Crepuscule might be a good one then, since it's not very thorny. I never get much fragrance from it though Sad

Re: Juane Desprez, I'm intrigued about its fragrance. Sounds really fantastic from what others describe.
muscovyduckling
muscovyduckling

Back to top Go down

Post by SueH 6th July 2014, 16:21

Hi Zoe.  I grew Crepuscule as a climber and it was gorgeous.  It flowered it's head off from the first Spring.  I grew it along side Gold Bunny and the scent was lovely.  Looked fabulous together too!

SueH

Number of posts : 737
Registration date : 2013-06-06

Back to top Go down

Post by muscovyduckling 6th July 2014, 17:52

Good to hear Sue Smile And I reckon you're right - Creps would look pretty with a nice clear yellow alongside it.

PS. I saw Diggers have bare root Creps available now at $15 for members (I'm a member). Shall I get you one, or are you happy to wait for a potted one in spring from your friend?
muscovyduckling
muscovyduckling

Back to top Go down

Post by Balinbear 6th July 2014, 21:15

E Veyrat Hermanos is the only one of the list that has climbed for us. Our Crepuscule never did much and passed away a year or so back. It may have been the rootstock as there was one that covered a carport over at Landsborough (QLD) which is a few kilometres from our place and it was fantastic. So it does grow in our climate.

We are getting another one this year as it is too nice a rose to give up on.
Balinbear
Balinbear

Number of posts : 1459
Registration date : 2010-01-30

Back to top Go down

Post by muscovyduckling 6th July 2014, 22:07

Thanks Gary Smile Do you grow Juane Desprez? Perhaps you could weigh in on it for David and I?

(PS. While I've got you Gary - I have a bit of a crush on Mrs B R Cant. Am I crazy? Will she eat my dogs?)
muscovyduckling
muscovyduckling

Back to top Go down

Post by muscovyduckling 6th July 2014, 22:22

PPS: Gary, also can you tell us about your yellow climbing tea called Mrs Graham Hart? I remember seeing it in one of your picture posts and it looked so pretty, but I have never seen or heard of it anywhere else! Are you hoarding it from the rest of the world?
muscovyduckling
muscovyduckling

Back to top Go down

Post by AutumnDamask 7th July 2014, 05:03

If I was convinced that Crepuscule would reach 4m+ I'd plant one ... it's gorgeous Smile
AutumnDamask
AutumnDamask

Number of posts : 1360
Registration date : 2011-06-08

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lazy Rosarian 7th July 2014, 06:46

Wendy, Crepuscule is one that needs patience, I think it also needs to come from an old plant(material wise) one of the older nurseries selling it and good rootstock.

Zoe we have Mrs B R C somewhere in a garden, we love it. Ours is neglected and does ok, with love I am sure it will reward you.
The Lazy Rosarian
The Lazy Rosarian

Number of posts : 5191
Registration date : 2009-01-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Balinbear 7th July 2014, 15:14

Zoe

The rose I have the photos of is a foundling that is believed to be Mrs Graham Hart. It was found in Northern NSW (not sure where) and there are not a lot of them about. There is one now growing in the Heritage Rose Collection in New Farm Park in Brisbane (where I first saw it), in Tea Collection at Renmark and also the Victorian State Rose Garden.

Its a nice clear yellow rose and grows quite well up our way (it was breed in Brisbane) without too many problems. Mine originated in Queensland from someone who knew someone and I am all for spreading foundlings about to ensure their survival but I think it is the case of waiting for it to be identified before it goes too far.

We have a few (all grown from the one original cutting grown plant that someone gave us) BR Cants as they are a great Tea rose. Nearly always in flower with good healthy foliage. Most of ours are grown as climbers that are up to about 4 - 5 metres tall though we are trying to grow a couple as shrubs which is does do and quite nicely though they can be large.

It is one of the reasons we like Teas so much.

Balinbear
Balinbear

Back to top Go down

Post by Balinbear 7th July 2014, 15:29

I have threatened to pull our Juane Desprez out so many times and whenever I get around to it there is flowers on it.

In its defence it is planted on a trellis under some huge (taking a couple of metres diameter) gum trees so it does not get any real sun and the soil is bloody horrible for roses so it may get shifted rather than disposed of to see how it goes with a bit more attention. In saying that we have Rev d'or, Safrano, White Mamon Cochet and Mutablis growing there and they are not doing too bad. I think some roses just need a bit more care and more exact soil etc than others.

I have seen it at Renmark in full flower and it was magnificent. I think this is it.

Balinbear
Balinbear

Back to top Go down

Post by SueH 9th July 2014, 12:55

sorry for the delay Zoe.  Rosie has been very poorly - is with the vet hospital still.  Yes please would love a Crep!  I love Diggers, must join too!  Have you been to their place on the Peninsular?  Ooops - sorry OT!!!!

SueH

Number of posts : 737
Registration date : 2013-06-06

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down