Rose Talk Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Watch This Space, more info coming.
by The Lazy Rosarian 21st September 2018, 06:25

» A Rose by any other name ...
by The Lazy Rosarian 17th September 2018, 19:26

» Looking for "St Brigid's Rose"
by The Lazy Rosarian 11th August 2018, 06:50

» And for David while he is away.
by neptune 19th July 2018, 23:57

» Wanting to talk with old roserian friends again, and new roserians friends too !
by rosemeadowtasmania 14th July 2018, 22:54

» Premature Petal dropping- Perth
by rosemeadowtasmania 5th July 2018, 15:27

» Vale: Meryl Constance
by rosemeadowtasmania 5th July 2018, 13:55

» Newbie to roses and forums for that matter!
by Steph 28th June 2018, 09:39

Billndee and Tasv, sucess with your cuttings !

5 posters

Go down

Billndee and Tasv, sucess  with your cuttings ! Empty Billndee and Tasv, sucess with your cuttings !

Post by rosemeadow 27th March 2009, 19:24

I have got to the stage of having the lids off the bottles ( thanks go to Justus2 for telling us this clever way ) and one of your Marilyn Monrole and quite a few Carabella seemed to have taken, thankyou Billndee. All of your varieties you sent me Tasv have taken, except for Cherosome or whatever its called, and the Pegasus. So thats fanstatic I mught have those varieties, have still to take the whole bottles off and see how they fare. Leda has a tiny leaf on it butit still looks good after having the lid off.
My second lot of rose cuttings from Lynette's with the bottles off are getting some good new growth now. I will have to get lots of bottles to replace the bottles I have got the wrong way round.
Billndee I was wondering if you would have enough growth on The Tassie Laura you have and some of your others again ?
And I will get my act together and send those ones you mentioned you would like.
Better go !

rosemeadow

Number of posts : 902
Registration date : 2009-01-11

Back to top Go down

Billndee and Tasv, sucess  with your cuttings ! Empty Re: Billndee and Tasv, sucess with your cuttings !

Post by Billndee 27th March 2009, 20:00

Hello Rosemeadow! Good to see you online again. Sadly I have lost nearly all the cuttings you sent me. They started off ok but then they went mouldy. next time I will use perlite only as a rooting medium. Hopefully I will get better results next time.
Yes to Laura. PM me with a list of what you want and I will do my best to get them for you.

Billndee

Number of posts : 403
Registration date : 2008-02-23

Back to top Go down

Billndee and Tasv, sucess  with your cuttings ! Empty Re: Billndee and Tasv, sucess with your cuttings !

Post by rosemeadow 28th March 2009, 21:27

I will send you some more when you want.
I haven't had much mold on mine. Well I have thrown quite alot out that didn't make it but there are lots that have gone on to grow. And there is only the odd bit of mold I find while checking the bottles. Was it maybe too hot in the little shed you said you had them in, also the bottles may be better than the plastic bags over the top as it wouldn't touch the leaves as much.
I have stopped pulling them up now to see if they are callousing, like Tasv suggested I should stop doing. It was too time consuming and mighty stupid of me, I have too many now and I only have time to look under the bottle. You can pretty well tell whats going on by looking at the top of the cutting I realise now, and its not really a long period to wait. So the next lot of cuttings you send me I will leave in peace. I was amazed to see Marilyn still going after I left it for some time, and all the Carabella seems to have struck. I didn't realise that my friend did actually have Carabella, anyway it proves that cuttings can strike after being sent throug the mail. And I can say my Carabella rose come from one of my friends in Tasmania.
Where did you buy Tassie Laura from ? I might just buy it to save you any trouble and me disappointment if it didn't strike the next time too. I have decided to buy some roses this year. I will buy Valencia too so I might not worry about cuttings after all, unless you have a rose that I can't get, like Tassie Laura.

rosemeadow

Back to top Go down

Post by Billndee 28th March 2009, 22:06

Tassie Laura is a registered rose bred by my late friend Les. It has not been sold commercially. Les did not get to doing anything commercial with it. It was bred from a seedling of Pink Perpetue and looks very much like it but is a shorter bush.
I will send you some cuttings after next week because I am having an open garden next Saturday and the place is a mess so I have a lot of work to do this week.
I just have to remember to send you the cuttings. I'll write it down somewhere.

Billndee

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lazy Rosarian 29th March 2009, 06:47

Dee, I know you have a lot to do for your open garden. If you have some spare time. Could you answer these few questions. Is it registered under "PBR" and if so do you know all the details, registered name, registered breeder, application date and approval date. After your big day will do.
The Lazy Rosarian
The Lazy Rosarian

Number of posts : 5191

Back to top Go down

Post by orchid40 29th March 2009, 16:01

Oh good luck with your open garden, Dee!! I hope the weather is kind to you and all your plants look at their best.
Smile
Val

orchid40

Number of posts : 622
Registration date : 2008-02-10

http://orchid40-valsobsession-orchid40.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Billndee 29th March 2009, 19:05

orchid40 wrote:Oh good luck with your open garden, Dee!! I hope the weather is kind to you and all your plants look at their best.
Smile
Val
Thanks Val, I certainly need it. This is the first time I have had a bus-load of strangers come to inspect my garden so I am a bit nervous about it. We are flat out weeding and tidying up this week. We were not able to start earlier because of mainland family visiting us for a week, but they have gone home now.
I am realising the benefit of having an open garden. Areas that have been left in a mess because they are not very obvious are now getting a make-over. Along the shadey side of the house is the main beneficiary.
When our son was here we asked him to walk around the garden like a visitor and point out to us the things that he did not like. There were things we had not thought of like straighten up the pots of propagated roses, tidy up the mulch/pulled weeds under the fruit tree, put away stakes and odd bricks that are not propping anything up at present.
So even if we are rained out and nobody comes i will enjoy my nice tidy garden very much!

Billndee

Back to top Go down

Post by orchid40 29th March 2009, 19:19

Oh you will benefit greatly Dee! I'm sure you'll get lots of visitors too. My garden needs an inspection by someone other than me, although I can see hoses lying around and empty pots waiting for a home - or rather a plant. I got 2 roses for my birthday Smile Julia's rose and Kronenbourg Smile There goes 2 big pots soon.

All the best Dee!

orchid40

Number of posts : 622
Registration date : 2008-02-10

http://orchid40-valsobsession-orchid40.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lazy Rosarian 29th March 2009, 20:20

You should have been smart and said to your son, now you have found the problems - can you put them right for your poor overworked parents. he! he! he ! We have a son too and if yours is anything like ours you would have a long wait roflmao Good luck with your open garden flower I am sure it will be a great success. Carole Thumbsup
The Lazy Rosarian
The Lazy Rosarian

Number of posts : 5191

Back to top Go down

Post by rosemeadow 8th April 2009, 13:44

Hi Dee,
when is your Open day ? Have you had it yet ? Please tell us how it went.
I have been staying right off the computer and waitting for the 240 to get hooked up but there was a fellow here about it the other day and it is still going to be 2 months away yet. I was hoping it would only be a month left to go yet.
I just wanted to say that I should have said to you when you said about how your cuttings had gone, "which ones had survived and as long as you get one or a few to go that it has been worth the effort and postage because I would rather have a own root rose than a grafted one of the same variety. Well one that does well on its own roots, anyway. So which ones have survived ?"
I still have one Marilyn Munrole growing very nicely and four Carabella with the bottles off which have been off some days now. So I am very happy and I look forward to trying again with cuttings from your late friend's rose. There is definitely no hurry, they can be Winter cuttings. In a week's time I will be going away for a week with my girls to visit my parents. My partner is staying at home to look after our place and animals, and water my baby plants.
Simon, I have got the cuttings of R. Lavigata, Anemone, and Red Cascade to grow. I am not sure about Vivid yet. The bottles have been off for the same time as Dee's cuttings. I lost the Leda one. I will buy a grafted one this year. The other 2 little rooted pieces are growing very nicely now.
How are your cuttings going ?

rosemeadow

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin 11th April 2009, 21:05

Hi Karen,

Not as well as I was hoping actually. I went through the tub to check them today and unfortunately I have lost most the tea cuttings. They were green on top but black just underneath so in a last ditch effort I whipped off some buds that might do ok and budded them onto some multiflora cuttings. The 'Tuscany Superb' that I thought was going well weren't doing well at all. Lots of new growth on top but they hadn't even calloused. So I did about 7 stents of them too, and of 'FDY'. Some had just shrivelled. Two 'Souvenir de MME Leonie Viennot' struck and were potted this afternoon and one of the 'Angela' cuttings had taken and was potted on. Of the 'Phyllis Bide' cuttings, 5 took and have formed quite large root systems already. I've potted these into larger pots to grow on till next season. 'Violette' has struck really well and I have about 8-9 plants potted on into tubes so will have some to give away in a few weeks along with some 'Phyllis Bide' plants. I'll bud a few 'Vivd' up and send them out next spring for you.

Admin

Number of posts : 3750
Registration date : 2008-02-08

http://www.rosetalkaustralia.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down