Rose Talk Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Watch This Space, more info coming.
by The Lazy Rosarian 21st September 2018, 06:25

» A Rose by any other name ...
by The Lazy Rosarian 17th September 2018, 19:26

» Looking for "St Brigid's Rose"
by The Lazy Rosarian 11th August 2018, 06:50

» And for David while he is away.
by neptune 19th July 2018, 23:57

» Wanting to talk with old roserian friends again, and new roserians friends too !
by rosemeadowtasmania 14th July 2018, 22:54

» Premature Petal dropping- Perth
by rosemeadowtasmania 5th July 2018, 15:27

» Vale: Meryl Constance
by rosemeadowtasmania 5th July 2018, 13:55

» Newbie to roses and forums for that matter!
by Steph 28th June 2018, 09:39

FOUND - 'Many Happy Returns'

4 posters

Go down

Case Closed FOUND - 'Many Happy Returns'

Post by Admin 24th March 2009, 20:11

I'm on the lookout for a rose called 'Many Happy Returns'. It's a floribunda that is bred from 'Mermaid' which is meant to have enormous health and vigour in a low shrubby rose. This makes it, technically, a hybrid bracteata I guess. If anyone has it, or knows someone who might be happy to post some budwood I would love to hear from them Thumbsup Very happy to pay for budwood.

Last edited by Simon on 5th June 2010, 23:45; edited 2 times in total

Admin

Number of posts : 3750
Registration date : 2008-02-08

http://www.rosetalkaustralia.com

Back to top Go down

Case Closed Re: FOUND - 'Many Happy Returns'

Post by davidk 24th March 2009, 23:45

Hi Simon,
I had at least one of them last year, got them from Nationwide Roses, but I'm not sure if they all survived. I'll have a look tomorrow if I can. I've been trying to get hold of Natasha from Nationwide Roses but it seems their server is down or something.
Will let you know.

davidk

Number of posts : 55
Registration date : 2008-08-22

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin 24th March 2009, 23:49

I'm not familiar with Nationwide Roses... or 'Natasha'... where are they? What's 'Natasha' like? I'm off to HMF to see Thumbsup

EDIT: 'Natasha' doesn't seem to have any photos or much information on HMF. I'm particularly interested in 'Many Happy Returns' because Viru and Girija recommended it as a healthy floribunda descended from Rosa bracteata (via 'Mermaid') that may be useful in breeding more healthy warm climate roses. So I'll try and get one or two (or some budwood) and grow it for a while to see how it does here and test its fertility by seeing if it forms OP hips.

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by davidk 25th March 2009, 00:09

Oops, my mistake, Natasha is the lady who owns Nationwide roses, I guess I didn't make that distinction in my previous message. Sorry about that.

Nationwide Roses is in South Australia, she apparently gets some of her stock from Knights Roses, as she told me to see what they had and she could get it for me from them.
Am trying to get in touch with her, so will let you know more when I can speak with her.
Sorry for the misunderstanding.

davidk

Number of posts : 55
Registration date : 2008-08-22

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozeboy 25th March 2009, 09:59

TasV, Rustons have it page 45 their catalogue, listed as Florabunda, light pink bred by Meilland 1990.

Might be one to add to your bud order next spring.

Ozeboy

Number of posts : 1673
Registration date : 2008-12-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin 25th March 2009, 17:05

lol! That's pretty funny! I misinterpretted Natasha as a rose... Embarassed

Yep... I think so Bruce. I've asked Viru and Girija about fertility of MHR because Mermaid has very poor fertility.

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 24th May 2009, 10:03

Simon - sorry for my absence. I have 3 'Many Happy Returns" planted as I was so impressed with it at the tour of Susan Irvine's garden. The blooms are simply stunning and it is constantly blooming - must have half a dozen blooms now on my 3 baby bushes. Happy to send you some stems that you can extract budwood from. I am the most forgetful person in teh world with addresses so send me a SAE and I will send.

I dug up and replanted 'Gigantea' on the hill above my place under a big gum tree and added a hose line to it and sprinkler and it survived teh end of summer. It is c0-planted with 'Mermaid' and I just hope it/ they survive. Very hot and dry up there but the soil is good although any water would be taken by the gum. I have also built a little fence around them so that the horses cannot decimate them. About to Seamungus and mulch them.

Pamela

Back to top Go down

Post by Barbara B 24th May 2009, 11:57

Hi Simon,
I also have MHR. Glad to pass on a couple of pieces.
Barbara B

Barbara B

Number of posts : 429
Registration date : 2009-05-14

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin 24th May 2009, 14:54

Hi Guys... I found a place that stocks it and I've actually ordered it this year already and am hoping to test-run it as a both a pollen parent and a seed parent next season... How's your bracteata going Pamela?

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down