Rose Talk Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Watch This Space, more info coming.
by The Lazy Rosarian 21st September 2018, 06:25

» A Rose by any other name ...
by The Lazy Rosarian 17th September 2018, 19:26

» Looking for "St Brigid's Rose"
by The Lazy Rosarian 11th August 2018, 06:50

» And for David while he is away.
by neptune 19th July 2018, 23:57

» Wanting to talk with old roserian friends again, and new roserians friends too !
by rosemeadowtasmania 14th July 2018, 22:54

» Premature Petal dropping- Perth
by rosemeadowtasmania 5th July 2018, 15:27

» Vale: Meryl Constance
by rosemeadowtasmania 5th July 2018, 13:55

» Newbie to roses and forums for that matter!
by Steph 28th June 2018, 09:39

Hi Rose lovers

+5
Barbara B
LouiseJB
neptune
The Lazy Rosarian
NEILMRITCHIE
9 posters

Go down

Hi Rose lovers Empty Hi Rose lovers

Post by NEILMRITCHIE 17th October 2015, 12:45

Hello to all out there. I'm new to the forum. I have a few rose plants in my garden. Some are doing well, some are duds. Have joined the forum to learn more about rose gardening. Happy gardening to all!

NEILMRITCHIE

Number of posts : 22
Registration date : 2015-10-17

Back to top Go down

Hi Rose lovers Empty Re: Hi Rose lovers

Post by The Lazy Rosarian 17th October 2015, 13:03

Welcome Neil, we all started out as novices, but we learn something from all the members in one way or other, whether it be roses or life.  Just ask a question and I am sure someone will have the answer or find it for you.
Regards David.

P.S. we have Victorianites on here so you are not alone.
The Lazy Rosarian
The Lazy Rosarian

Number of posts : 5191
Registration date : 2009-01-11

Back to top Go down

Post by NEILMRITCHIE 17th October 2015, 13:13

Thanks The Lazy Rosarian, you make me feel at home. I have a problem. Not one but two. My rose buds are getting chewed up by earwigs ( have a lot roamig about in the night) and also recently my roses are swarmed with thrips. I am spraying the garlic/chilly powder/soap/oil solution with little effect. Sad to see my roses getting damaged after all my hard work in the garden. Any suggestions?

NEILMRITCHIE

Back to top Go down

Post by neptune 17th October 2015, 19:03

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] to the Forum, Neil.....

for the earwigs, try a softly wrapped up damp  newspaper and place it at the base of the rose bush at night time...... In the morning , pick it up and tap it out in a bucket. Boiling water should fix the crawlies.....let me know if this works.....
neptune
neptune

Number of posts : 2450
Registration date : 2010-06-26

Back to top Go down

Post by LouiseJB 17th October 2015, 22:21

Hello Neil and welcome!
I have learnt a lot since joining. I stick to the belief you can always learn something from anyone.

LouiseJB

Number of posts : 121
Registration date : 2012-06-01

Back to top Go down

Post by Barbara B 18th October 2015, 08:06

Hi Neil and welcome to the forum. I'm down near Frankston. Loads of rose information and expertise available for the asking on this forum.

Barbara B

Number of posts : 429
Registration date : 2009-05-14

Back to top Go down

Post by NEILMRITCHIE 18th October 2015, 13:46

neptune wrote:[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] to the Forum, Neil.....

for the earwigs, try a softly wrapped up damp  newspaper and place it at the base of the rose bush at night time...... In the morning , pick it up and tap it out in a bucket. Boiling water should fix the crawlies.....let me know if this works.....

Thanks Neptune, it does work very well. I'm doing this for some time now. But I have many of these crawlies. Even have the olive oil traps set up. Catch a few in them too. Guess they have a good hiding place beneath the rose plants because I have pebble mulch. I heard they die for soap water I wonder if I blast the pebbles with soap water, I can reduce the numbers but I'm scared of the soap affecting the plants. Any suggestions?

NEILMRITCHIE

Back to top Go down

Post by NEILMRITCHIE 18th October 2015, 13:48

LouiseJB wrote:Hello Neil and welcome!
I have learnt a lot since joining. I stick to the belief you can always learn something from anyone.

Thanks LouiseJB.

NEILMRITCHIE

Back to top Go down

Post by NEILMRITCHIE 18th October 2015, 13:49

Barbara B wrote:Hi Neil and welcome to the forum.  I'm down near Frankston.  Loads of rose information and expertise available for the asking on this forum.

Thanks Barbara B

NEILMRITCHIE

Back to top Go down

Post by NEILMRITCHIE 18th October 2015, 14:18

NEILMRITCHIE wrote:
Barbara B wrote:Hi Neil and welcome to the forum.  I'm down near Frankston.  Loads of rose information and expertise available for the asking on this forum.

Thanks Barbara B

I have a few pictures of my rose plants but I do not know how to post them. Could you please guide me? Thanks.

NEILMRITCHIE

Back to top Go down

Post by neptune 18th October 2015, 14:28

NEILMRITCHIE wrote:Thanks Neptune, it does work very well. I'm doing this for some time now. But I have many of these crawlies. Even have the olive oil traps set up. Catch a few in them too. Guess they have a good hiding place beneath the rose plants because I have pebble mulch. I heard they die for soap water I wonder if I blast the pebbles with soap water, I can reduce the numbers but I'm scared of the soap affecting the plants. Any suggestions?

The soap water won't affect the plants if you don't use too much and too often, but will help with water penetration........

as for the photos upload....you will be able to do that after seven days membership and if you use the search function on top right there is a whole article on uploading photos.....if you still trouble, don't hesitate to ask.....
neptune
neptune

Number of posts : 2450
Registration date : 2010-06-26

Back to top Go down

Post by NEILMRITCHIE 19th October 2015, 13:21

neptune wrote:
NEILMRITCHIE wrote:Thanks Neptune, it does work very well. I'm doing this for some time now. But I have many of these crawlies. Even have the olive oil traps set up. Catch a few in them too. Guess they have a good hiding place beneath the rose plants because I have pebble mulch. I heard they die for soap water I wonder if I blast the pebbles with soap water, I can reduce the numbers but I'm scared of the soap affecting the plants. Any suggestions?

The soap water won't affect the plants if you don't use too much and too often, but will help with water penetration........

as for the photos upload....you will be able to do that after seven days membership and if you use the search function on top right there is a whole article on uploading photos.....if you still trouble, don't hesitate to ask.....

Thanks again Neptune. I'll use a mild soap solution. Didn't know that it helps in water penetration! Good information! Guess I'll be able to follow your advice on the photo uploads too after a week.

NEILMRITCHIE

Back to top Go down

Post by SueH 19th October 2015, 13:45

P.S. we have Victorianites on here so you are not alone.[/quote] Thanks David!!

Hi Neil,  I'm one of David's "Victorianities"!!!! LOLOL  Dance   Actually, I live not far from you in Narre Warren North!  another of the "gang" - or Victorianities - lives in Belgrave!!  So NO.... you are not alone!
Seriously, welcome to the forum.  You will gain much from it and hopefully new friends.  We are a friendly lot (and mad - well, some of us!)
Welcome!
Cheers,
SueH.  Wave

SueH

Number of posts : 737
Registration date : 2013-06-06

Back to top Go down

Post by AutumnDamask 19th October 2015, 20:29

Hi Neil,
I'm in Victoria also. Smile

And earwigs are the bane of my gardening life. Hi Rose lovers 2117723795

I haven't been organised enough to do all the traps (they do like some soy sauce in their olive oil tho...). Chooks work too. Although they make a right mess of my mulch. Razz
AutumnDamask
AutumnDamask

Number of posts : 1360
Registration date : 2011-06-08

Back to top Go down

Post by silkyfizz 19th October 2015, 23:36

Hi Neil, welcome to the forum. As others have said, this is a good place to learn and share all things "rosy". And to have a laugh too sometimes.
Sorry about your earwig and thrip problems. Haven't had those problems thank goodness so I can't offer any advice.
What roses do you have?
silkyfizz
silkyfizz

Number of posts : 1621
Registration date : 2012-07-21

Back to top Go down

Post by NEILMRITCHIE 21st October 2015, 11:14

SueH wrote:P.S. we have Victorianites on here so you are not alone.
Thanks David!!

Hi Neil,  I'm one of David's "Victorianities"!!!! LOLOL  Dance   Actually, I live not far from you in Narre Warren North!  another of the "gang" - or Victorianities - lives in Belgrave!!  So NO.... you are not alone!
Seriously, welcome to the forum.  You will gain much from it and hopefully new friends.  We are a friendly lot (and mad - well, some of us!)
Welcome!
Cheers,
SueH.  Wave[/quote]

Thanks SueH. Happy to get one more friend.

NEILMRITCHIE

Back to top Go down

Post by NEILMRITCHIE 21st October 2015, 11:39

silkyfizz wrote:Hi Neil, welcome to the forum. As others have said, this is a good place to learn and share all things "rosy". And to have a laugh too sometimes.
Sorry about your earwig and thrip problems. Haven't had those problems thank goodness so I can't offer any advice.
What roses do you have?

Hi Silkyfizz. Thanks for making me feel at home. I have many unkown ones which came with the house. But last year I went crazy and planted quite a few.
I have Iceberg, Dublin Bay climbing (doing extremely well here), Sympathie climbing, Lamarque climbing twined around a self made obelisque/tripod (earwigs and thrips are having a go at the buds),two of the climbing Tangerine (so says the label, but looks awesome), a climbing Black Boy, a climbing Westerland, a Mr.Harry Wentworth, a climbing Altissimo, a climbing Dortmund which is a dud, 3 of the Delbard roses which are also duds.
This year I planted two Climbing Gold Bunnies, 1 climbing Crepuscule and a Simplicity lavender. They are all spread out in the front and back yard.

NEILMRITCHIE

Back to top Go down

Post by NEILMRITCHIE 21st October 2015, 11:41

NEILMRITCHIE wrote:
silkyfizz wrote:Hi Neil, welcome to the forum. As others have said, this is a good place to learn and share all things "rosy". And to have a laugh too sometimes.
What roses do you have?

Hi Silkyfizz. Thanks for making me feel at home. I have many unkown ones which came with the house. But last year I went crazy and planted quite a few.
I have Iceberg, Dublin Bay climbing (doing extremely well here), Sympathie climbing, Lamarque climbing twined around a self made obelisque/tripod (earwigs and thrips are having a go at the buds),two of the climbing Tangerine (so says the label, but looks awesome), a climbing Black Boy, a climbing Westerland, a Mr.Harry Wentworth, a climbing Altissimo, a climbing Dortmund which is a dud, 3 of the Delbard roses which are also duds.
This year I planted two Climbing Gold Bunnies, 1 climbing Crepuscule and a Simplicity lavender. They are all spread out in the front and back yard.

How about you, what is your list?

NEILMRITCHIE

Back to top Go down

Post by NEILMRITCHIE 21st October 2015, 12:01

AutumnDamask wrote:Hi Neil,
I'm in Victoria also. Smile

And earwigs are the bane of my gardening life.  Hi Rose lovers 2117723795

I haven't been organised enough to do all the traps (they do like some soy sauce in their olive oil tho...). Chooks work too. Although they make a right mess of my mulch. Razz

Think that machine gun will work AutumnDamask! Laughing

NEILMRITCHIE

Back to top Go down

Post by muscovyduckling 21st October 2015, 12:11

Hi Neil!

Another Victorian here - just up the road in Belgrave. Welcome to the forum!

You have heaps of great roses there! Lamarque is my favourite, and I bet you will love Crepuscule Smile You have heaps of red roses - are they your favourite?

I don't have any advice about earwigs, sorry. I am a lazy rosarian and just let the bugs have some, but there are plenty left for me to enjoy this year.
muscovyduckling
muscovyduckling

Number of posts : 771
Registration date : 2013-10-29

Back to top Go down

Post by NEILMRITCHIE 22nd October 2015, 10:48

muscovyduckling wrote:Hi Neil!

Another Victorian here - just up the road in Belgrave. Welcome to the forum!

You have heaps of great roses there! Lamarque is my favourite, and I bet you will love Crepuscule Smile You have heaps of red roses - are they your favourite?

I don't have any advice about earwigs, sorry. I am a lazy rosarian and just let the bugs have some, but there are plenty left for me to enjoy this year.

Thanks Muscovyduckling. Yes, I do have a lot of them. Guess I bit off more than I can chew! Reds are my wife's fav, so need to please her you know! Laughing

NEILMRITCHIE

Back to top Go down

Post by muscovyduckling 22nd October 2015, 18:25

Lol, good man Smile
muscovyduckling
muscovyduckling

Number of posts : 771
Registration date : 2013-10-29

Back to top Go down