Rose Talk Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Watch This Space, more info coming.
by The Lazy Rosarian 21st September 2018, 06:25

» A Rose by any other name ...
by The Lazy Rosarian 17th September 2018, 19:26

» Looking for "St Brigid's Rose"
by The Lazy Rosarian 11th August 2018, 06:50

» And for David while he is away.
by neptune 19th July 2018, 23:57

» Wanting to talk with old roserian friends again, and new roserians friends too !
by rosemeadowtasmania 14th July 2018, 22:54

» Premature Petal dropping- Perth
by rosemeadowtasmania 5th July 2018, 15:27

» Vale: Meryl Constance
by rosemeadowtasmania 5th July 2018, 13:55

» Newbie to roses and forums for that matter!
by Steph 28th June 2018, 09:39

Autumn Roses

5 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Autumn Roses Empty Autumn Roses

Post by The Lazy Rosarian 1st April 2015, 06:44

As I have mentioned in a reply to Gary about "where have all the people gone" I had a thought over the weekend and have just placed a new thread on here to see what others do at this time of year, so my plan for Autumn is to change the way I deal with my roses.
This is the first year which will be the trial year of this plan. I am going to try what we do in the vineyard at work, well lets say for the first time in 20 years at the vineyard where I am, but is common practice in most.
At work we do three things as the vines are going to sleep for Winter.
1. A very long/deep water after harvest.
2. Fertigation or foliar spray  so the plant has nutrients within the vascular system ready for the upcoming Spring.
3. A foliar spray of Dipel to kill off any caterpillars/bugs so the leaves can do thier photosynthesis prior to Winter and then pruning.

I have initiated the first step over the last week and will do so again in about another weeks time.

I will add more later as it is time to go to work. 6.45am.

Last edited by The Lazy Rosarian on 1st April 2015, 20:11; edited 1 time in total
The Lazy Rosarian
The Lazy Rosarian

Number of posts : 5191
Registration date : 2009-01-11

Back to top Go down

Autumn Roses Empty Re: Autumn Roses

Post by Alya 1st April 2015, 07:38

Heloooo, I am here!

What made you choose "The Lazy Rosarian" nic k name? From the list you do not sound like it at all.

I have been soo busy planting 9.5m by 4m rose bed for someone. Designed plotted and planted 164 roses.

Now I should go back to my own roses and garden. It is ever so windy in here. At the back garden the wind was swirling around like a hurricane or a cyclon and the clouds were so low I really got scared and got indoors! I thought the Oak trees were going to crush down with the wind...opportunity to to tidy and dust the indoors....

I have a question:

What is the height and spread of Rose Rosa Hulthemia Edward Hyams?

I bought this rose from Davids Austin last November. I paid in advance and waited 6 months. I hope they sent me the right one. We shall see.

As soon as I got the rose, for now, I planted it in a pot until I figure out the best place in the gardens for it to thrive. 'cose I do not know what it likes and dislikes and it is easier to move it in the pot.  It is staying in the pot until I know more about it.

Roger's roses gives some info about it but says nothing about the height and the spread.

I asked this question at Royal National Rose Society in February. So far I got no answer.

Anyone from Rose Talk Australia could help?  

Alya

Number of posts : 159
Registration date : 2015-01-25

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lazy Rosarian 1st April 2015, 12:42

Alya, I am having lunch, the best I can do is this at the moment.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
The other thing is can you get a copy of ROSES by Phillips & Rix 1988, it mentions it on Page 19

The rest I will answer tonight our time.
The Lazy Rosarian
The Lazy Rosarian

Back to top Go down

Post by muscovyduckling 1st April 2015, 19:25

Well autumn is catch-up time here generally. I don't like the hot weather one little bit. My gran used to say "men sweat, girls perspire, but ladies merely glow", but I didn't get the message - I sweat! So I basically do nothing all summer, and now it's time to get going again.

The garden is a big mess. I really want to get some veggies happening this spring, so I'm starting work on a whole garden plan incorporating edibles and ornamentals. It's a bit daunting really. I've basically just been a 'plonker' up until now. But come June I want to know exactly where the veg beds will be so that I can build them over winter and get cracking in spring.

When I have drawn up my plan I'll put it up here for the good folks of RoseTalk to critique Smile

Last edited by muscovyduckling on 1st April 2015, 19:28; edited 1 time in total
muscovyduckling
muscovyduckling

Number of posts : 771
Registration date : 2013-10-29

Back to top Go down

Post by muscovyduckling 1st April 2015, 19:26

And as to autumn roses, Munstead Wood is still flowering it's guts out, and the apricot thing that's not Charles Rene Mackintosh has a few blooms, but everything else is looking a bit sad. I'm hoping for another show before pruning/moving time.
muscovyduckling
muscovyduckling

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lazy Rosarian 1st April 2015, 20:33

Ayla, the name of "The Lazy Rosarian" came about from a post a little while ago. I was originally know as "roseman" a tittle which was give to me when I first moved to Mudgee 22 years ago by a barman as everyone in this town has a "nick" name. as I worked in a rose nursery, it seemed logical to have that name. As for "The Lazy Rosarian" it came about one day when I mentioned I will get around to it one day. I mentioned that I will get around to it as I am a lazy gardener, it will get done in time, so Neptune(John) changed it one night and it has stuck. Call me anything Ayla, I will answer to it.
The Lazy Rosarian
The Lazy Rosarian

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lazy Rosarian 1st April 2015, 20:44

As for info on "Edward Hyams" I can only find this name, ".E. F. Allen" amongst the references, not much joy. I can ask DAR roses for help, but as you are closer it pay for you to contact them. I have a friend in the USA which is into breeding 'Hulthemia's he might be able to help. The other option which has just come to mind is two of your own breeders of Hulthemia's named, [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] and [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
The Lazy Rosarian
The Lazy Rosarian

Back to top Go down

Post by neptune 1st April 2015, 21:15

The Lazy Rosarian wrote:Ayla, the name of "The Lazy Rosarian" came about from a post a little while ago. I was originally know as "roseman" a tittle which was give to me when I first moved to Mudgee 22 years ago by a barman as everyone in this town has a "nick" name. as I worked in a rose nursery, it seemed logical to have that name. As for "The Lazy Rosarian" it came about one day when I mentioned I will get around to it one day. I mentioned that I will get around to it as I am a lazy gardener, it will get done in time, so Neptune(John) changed it one night and it has stuck. Call me anything Ayla, I will answer to it.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
neptune
neptune

Number of posts : 2450
Registration date : 2010-06-26

Back to top Go down

Post by Alya 2nd April 2015, 19:11

The Lazy Rosarian wrote:Ayla, the name of "The Lazy Rosarian" came about from a post a little while ago. I was originally know as "roseman" a tittle which was give to me when I first moved to Mudgee 22 years ago by a barman as everyone in this town has a "nick" name. as I worked in a rose nursery, it seemed logical to have that name. As for "The Lazy Rosarian" it came about one day when I mentioned I will get around to it one day. I mentioned that I will get around to it as I am a lazy gardener, it will get done in time, so Neptune(John) changed it one night and it has stuck. Call me anything Ayla, I will answer to it.

I wish I had such a lovely story attached to my nickname.

I shall carry on with the Lazy Roarian name too.

Alya

Back to top Go down

Post by Alya 2nd April 2015, 19:20

Neptune (John), again, I shall go out and carry on moving/repostioning my roses before the spring ends with a big smile and chuckle as i remember your cartoon.

Are you cartoonist/animator by the way?

Alya

Back to top Go down

Post by Alya 2nd April 2015, 19:49

The Lazy Rosarian wrote:As for info on "Edward Hyams" I can only find this name, ".E. F. Allen" amongst the references, not much joy. I can ask DAR roses for help, but as you are closer it pay for you to contact them. I have a friend in the USA which is into breeding 'Hulthemia's he might be able to help. The other option which has just come to mind is two of your own breeders of Hulthemia's named, [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] and [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

This morning I rung David Austin again and asked about the height and spread of the rose. I hope that this time I have more lock and got the correct info. Time will tell:

David Austin said that Edward Hyams grows about 2.5 ft = 75cm high and 2ft = 60cm wide and that although EH will live in a pot because it is a dwarf wild rose  it prefers the ground.

So I am tempted to plant it on top of the builders rubble and let doits own thing. or shall I not risk it and be gentle to it?!?

I wonder if it is worth askin the friend in the USA to confirm that.

Thanks for your very kind and dedicated support "The Lazy Rosarian". If ever I manage to breed my own roses "The Lazy Rosarian" name is  a candidate quirky funky name.

I shall get back to my garden and carry on digging it upside down move my roses around before the spring is over... I have been soo...whotsit... moving the roses that are almost fully dressed with their leaves..but I want them to be in the right place this summer...

Alya

Back to top Go down

Post by Balinbear 2nd April 2015, 21:21

Yeah "The Lazy Rosarian".

Immune to BS, mildew and any other fungal problems, poisonous to all insects, grows quickly up to 1 metre x 1 metre (unless you want the climbing sport with grows as big as the structure you are growing it on) and is constantly covered in flowers and the old flowers drop off by themselves after their 20 days flowering period.

Lush green foliage and did I mention the perfume and the fact that it is available in whatever colour you want except pink??????
Balinbear
Balinbear

Number of posts : 1459
Registration date : 2010-01-30

Back to top Go down

Post by neptune 2nd April 2015, 22:58

Alya wrote:Neptune (John), again,  I shall go out and carry on moving/repostioning my roses before the spring ends with a big smile and chuckle as i remember your cartoon.

Are you cartoonist/animator by the way?

Sorry Alya.....that I am not...played around with it, but it is very time consuming and at the time a programming course was coming up.......
neptune
neptune

Number of posts : 2450
Registration date : 2010-06-26

Back to top Go down

Post by muscovyduckling 3rd April 2015, 08:31

Balinbear wrote:Yeah "The Lazy Rosarian".

Immune to BS, mildew and any other fungal problems, poisonous to all insects, grows quickly up to 1 metre x 1 metre (unless you want the climbing sport with grows as big as the structure you are growing it on) and is constantly covered in flowers and the old flowers drop off by themselves after their 20 days flowering period.

Lush green foliage and did I mention the perfume and the fact that it is available in whatever colour you want except pink??????

I'll take 40 of those, please.
muscovyduckling
muscovyduckling

Back to top Go down

Post by Balinbear 3rd April 2015, 09:03

Oh I forgot to add it also releases a non toxic environmentally friendly weed killer so the ground around it is forever free of weeds.
Balinbear
Balinbear

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lazy Rosarian 3rd April 2015, 09:26

Balinbear wrote:Yeah "The Lazy Rosarian".

Am I guessing right, is this directed at me or am I imagining it ?, if so, I feel honoured.
The Lazy Rosarian
The Lazy Rosarian

Back to top Go down

Post by Balinbear 3rd April 2015, 15:09

No if I was directing it at you the flowers would have been yellow instead of not being JAP.
Balinbear
Balinbear

Back to top Go down

Post by Alya 4th April 2015, 02:56

Balinbear wrote:Oh I forgot to add it also releases a non toxic environmentally friendly weed killer so the ground around it is forever free of weeds.

When I come round from LOL I shall try to comment...

How do you insert a smile in here?...[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Alya

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lazy Rosarian 4th April 2015, 07:02

Hi Ayla, if you look to the right of the box that you type in there is a yellow face,   Very Happy click on it and all our smilies are on there, click on the one you want and "hey Presto"
The Lazy Rosarian
The Lazy Rosarian

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lazy Rosarian 4th April 2015, 08:50

An update of what to do in Autumn, or what I am upto today. As we are getting  >8@ Pouring Rain Autumn Roses 3405458542 or more to the point, "Drizzle", but I/we will take what the rain gods deem. If I we lived 200ks further we would have had 54mls, not our turn. So back to the subject I am going out in the "Drizzle" to poor our home made 'Worm Juice" on all our roses so it can b incorporated with the "Drizzle".
The Lazy Rosarian
The Lazy Rosarian

Back to top Go down

Post by Balinbear 5th April 2015, 08:15

This weeks 200mm Drizzle is still coming down though it is a bit quiet on the roof so it may have stopped for a break.

I was hoping to mow the lawn today but it may still be a bit wet.
Balinbear
Balinbear

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lazy Rosarian 5th April 2015, 09:34

That's not fair Gary, our "Drizzle" turned out to give a measly 7ml for two days, but the so called promise of some Monday of 10 to 20 mls
The Lazy Rosarian
The Lazy Rosarian

Back to top Go down

Post by Balinbear 5th April 2015, 18:43

An hour after I posted the above the sky turned blue and its been sunny all afternoon. I ended up cleaning up some of the garden and mowed the grass.
Balinbear
Balinbear

Back to top Go down

Post by Alya 7th April 2015, 05:31

Today I potted 100 roses. 75 of them Laxa to be used as a rootstock and the rest is the bareroots  I got  a while ago but could not get round to plant yet. Used the compost in the compost heap...two years ago we put all of the sticky clay into the compost heap... Now we have a reasonably good soil..but stlll have to mix it with some chicken manure or last years dead leaves... Hard work to dig it out though..'cose we really never bothered to turn the contents of the compost heap upside down as we are supposed to... we did not have time to do so really...So have a bit of discomfort in the muscle.. getting old... But the good news is we turned 10 cubic meters of horrid soil into a useable one....

Alya

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lazy Rosarian 7th April 2015, 06:33

Ayla are the 'Laxa' cutting grown or seed grown ? Just out of curiosity, how many roses might you have.
The Lazy Rosarian
The Lazy Rosarian

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next