Rose Talk Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Watch This Space, more info coming.
by The Lazy Rosarian 21st September 2018, 06:25

» A Rose by any other name ...
by The Lazy Rosarian 17th September 2018, 19:26

» Looking for "St Brigid's Rose"
by The Lazy Rosarian 11th August 2018, 06:50

» And for David while he is away.
by neptune 19th July 2018, 23:57

» Wanting to talk with old roserian friends again, and new roserians friends too !
by rosemeadowtasmania 14th July 2018, 22:54

» Premature Petal dropping- Perth
by rosemeadowtasmania 5th July 2018, 15:27

» Vale: Meryl Constance
by rosemeadowtasmania 5th July 2018, 13:55

» Newbie to roses and forums for that matter!
by Steph 28th June 2018, 09:39

How much sunshine in autumn?

+3
betsyw
neptune
silkyfizz
7 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

How much sunshine in autumn? Empty How much sunshine in autumn?

Post by silkyfizz 18th March 2013, 22:15

HELP!! I am now second guessing myself and driving myself mad. How much sun do roses need in autumn? I have been working hard digging and enriching quite a large bed down the back. In summer it was bathed in sunshine for much of the day,nice and sheltered, but now with the lower angle of the sun, next door's trees are casting their shadow across the bed for the majority of the day. Now I'm worried. The only positive is that rose Susan Hampshire is growing in that area and growing really well, healthy and lots of flowers. I don't know if she is particularly shade tolerant though. Clear sky overhead, but is this enough? Please don't tell me all that work has been in vain?
silkyfizz
silkyfizz

Number of posts : 1621
Registration date : 2012-07-21

Back to top Go down

How much sunshine in autumn? Empty Re: How much sunshine in autumn?

Post by neptune 18th March 2013, 22:40

exactly how much sun is that bed getting?
neptune
neptune

Number of posts : 2450
Registration date : 2010-06-26

Back to top Go down

Post by silkyfizz 18th March 2013, 22:45

Probably 2-3 hrs per day Neptune.
silkyfizz
silkyfizz

Back to top Go down

Post by neptune 18th March 2013, 22:53

that is now at present and will get worse as weeks go buy thru to at least October or November.....would my assumption be far off silky?
neptune
neptune

Back to top Go down

Post by silkyfizz 18th March 2013, 23:01

No, that's about right I think Neptune. Maybe a bit more than 3 hours at present, but the amount of sunlight it receives has decreased markedly. I started work on this bed in the spring and hours of sunlight seemed a lot more at the time I began work. I remember monitoring amount of sunlight then and thinking, yep, good spot. Now, disaster!!!! Maybe I'll just plant them and hope for the best.
silkyfizz
silkyfizz

Back to top Go down

Post by neptune 18th March 2013, 23:07

I have read that the minimum should be about 5 hours if it must, but 6-8hrs+ is the general consensus as to how much there should be....now having said that....there maybe members on here who grow in the shade for long periods.....
neptune
neptune

Back to top Go down

Post by silkyfizz 18th March 2013, 23:32

Yes, up 6-8 hrs sunlight is the ideal I know. So this is why I'm now freaking out, can't believe I have miscalculated so badly. I wonder if there is anyone else out there, maybe in a suburban situation in which shadows from adjoining properties is common, who has had this problem and if they have to grow their roses in less than ideal conditions. How do your roses cope?
silkyfizz
silkyfizz

Back to top Go down

Post by neptune 18th March 2013, 23:35

my roses are on the north side of the property, so they get sun , summer and winter
neptune
neptune

Back to top Go down

Post by silkyfizz 19th March 2013, 00:04

Neptune are you in suburbia or on a larger property? Even my roses on the northern side are partly shaded by trees overhanging from next door. Sigh
silkyfizz
silkyfizz

Back to top Go down

Post by neptune 19th March 2013, 00:33

on the sea front in suburbia
neptune
neptune

Back to top Go down

Post by betsyw 19th March 2013, 06:22

Silky, don't despair! Half my roses live in shadow from April to September, and they get 2 hrs a day in the cooler and cold months. They don't give a hoot - they are back and lively come the Spring when the Sun begins its arc upwards, and the roses waken from their snooze.

All of my roses were bred in Germany or France or the Uk or the USA - they are creatures of the loooong, dark northern winters. Lack of sun for several months means nothing to them. Sort of like putting on eye masks during a long-haul flight ;-)

betsyw
betsyw

Number of posts : 1340
Registration date : 2012-05-01

Back to top Go down

Post by maree 19th March 2013, 08:46

Betsy , that brings up a good question , i too have Silkys problem , suburbia , and have often wondered how do roses survive in England's climate , they must get a lot less sun , probably why DA's go crazy here and throw out their octopus arms . Silky i think if you don't plant them too close , give them a 1200-1400 spacing , so that they don't overshadow each other they should be fine . I've planted some of mine too close and a couple are fighting for the sunlight , will have to pull out two and replace with one rose . Chartreusse is one rose that being small is bullied by the bigger roses for sunlight i think..
maree
maree

Number of posts : 1733
Registration date : 2012-05-25

Back to top Go down

Post by AutumnDamask 19th March 2013, 08:53

I agree with Betsy Smile One of the main things is that the roses aren't actually UNDER something else - ie. they have CLEAR SKY above them.

And don't forget that the Aussie sun is pretty strong compared to some parts of Europe where all our "instructions" often come from.... Wink

Just choose varieties that are a little more shade tolerant (and there are quite a few).
AutumnDamask
AutumnDamask

Number of posts : 1360
Registration date : 2011-06-08

Back to top Go down

Post by silkyfizz 19th March 2013, 11:40

Oh thank you, thank you for putting my mind at rest, a bit at least.
How much sunshine in autumn? 2023066572
I hadn't thought about northern hemisphere conditions before but it makes sense. The amount and intensity of sun would be far less over there where most of our roses have been bred. Probably explains why the solitary rose in that area that had been neglected, is growing so strongly and happily. Well with the soil now enriched and friable, with thousands of worms, it's a matter of sunlight that will determine the success of the roses that will go in there. Time will tell. Thanks Maree for the spacing tip, which I will do. Autumn, yes clear sky above I think is an important factor.
Neptune I know you are right about maximum sunlight for best results but when the reality is less than ideal conditions, the only alternative is to forgo the pleasure of our roses, or just having one or two lonely specimens. It would break my heart. I'll just keep my Fingers Crossed and make some updates from time to time.
silkyfizz
silkyfizz

Back to top Go down

Post by maree 19th March 2013, 13:35

Silky i did the same thing when i planted a row of Japonica Camellias along the back fence , watched and watched the sun , yep its okay ,looks good not to much sun , but didn't watch in the summer and now the camellias are too hot with the summer sun , ggrrhh , stupid me , had to put shade cloth on them this summer .....
maree
maree

Back to top Go down

Post by silkyfizz 19th March 2013, 18:41

This garden caper can be so stressful sometimes Maree. Ironic really when we try hard to create these blissful havens of peace and beauty, and wear ourselves out in the making. Talking of japonica camellias, I have one facing north affraid Its healthy enough but not as many flowers as my others placed better. Lack of water in summer affects flower production so it gets regular watering and mulch. They are really tough plants. I'm about to plant 4 more out the front, pale yellow flowers.
silkyfizz
silkyfizz

Back to top Go down

Post by betsyw 19th March 2013, 18:57

Tell me about it, silky. I planted one eremophila nivea, four punnets of dorky white primula and several punnets of even dorkier spreading pansies today. The planting took 10 minutes, calculating sun and shade and phosphorus content took seven hours. On balance, I think roses are onedamnsight easier.

Emotionally drained. Immediately I have to reach for the sherry bottle and a straw.
betsyw
betsyw

Back to top Go down

Post by silkyfizz 19th March 2013, 19:21

roflmao
You crack me up Betsy. Sure need a sense of humour otherwise we'd go mad. Make sure the straw is a long one, bloody tricky when you get to the bottom of the bottle!!
silkyfizz
silkyfizz

Back to top Go down

Post by maree 19th March 2013, 19:27

Lol ha ha Betsy , you poor thing ,sherry and a straw , now thats bad , is the straw cause you'r too tired to drink ? Silky the sun burnt heaps of little buds on my camellias , so i raced over to Bunnings and bought some shade cloth , which has saved the day , except that its a bloody nuisance putting it up and down , i did suggest to husband maybe we should pull em out and put in natives , he muttered some expletives and shook his head and walked off , not a good idea i think lol !!!!
maree
maree

Back to top Go down

Post by maree 19th March 2013, 19:29

Oh now i get it , Silky you'r just too clever , a straw to get to the bottom of the bottle !!!!
maree
maree

Back to top Go down

Post by betsyw 19th March 2013, 19:29

When I got to the bottom of the bottle, silky, I smashed the bottle and licked the pieces.

When winter comes, we must pull up a cyber chair and set a spell . Would love to know what you've done to cheer up the garden in the dark time.)

All are invited! I'll bring the sherry, the straws and the hammer.
betsyw
betsyw

Back to top Go down

Post by betsyw 19th March 2013, 19:33

BTW: Don't worry about those camellias. Mine were planted by sonebody about 10 years ago. In full sun.

They are now 2 1/2 storeys high .In fact, they block the sun. I will take pix of them soon. Beautiful trees now, but the flowers are like used Kleenex.
betsyw
betsyw

Back to top Go down

Post by maree 19th March 2013, 21:31

Winter is FOOTY time Betsy , i'll bring my footy hat, scarf , jumper , jacket , bag , wallet and of course hot chocolate in thermos lo !!!
maree
maree

Back to top Go down

Post by betsyw 19th March 2013, 21:49

Oh god, footy tragics..
Okay, I have a scarf somewhere.

go swannies
betsyw
betsyw

Back to top Go down

Post by maree 19th March 2013, 22:16

Swannies BAH HA !!! GO CATS lol !!! Betsy love your enthusiasm ...
maree
maree

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next