Rose Talk Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Watch This Space, more info coming.
by The Lazy Rosarian 21st September 2018, 06:25

» A Rose by any other name ...
by The Lazy Rosarian 17th September 2018, 19:26

» Looking for "St Brigid's Rose"
by The Lazy Rosarian 11th August 2018, 06:50

» And for David while he is away.
by neptune 19th July 2018, 23:57

» Wanting to talk with old roserian friends again, and new roserians friends too !
by rosemeadowtasmania 14th July 2018, 22:54

» Premature Petal dropping- Perth
by rosemeadowtasmania 5th July 2018, 15:27

» Vale: Meryl Constance
by rosemeadowtasmania 5th July 2018, 13:55

» Newbie to roses and forums for that matter!
by Steph 28th June 2018, 09:39

Recommend me some pale yellows and apricots please :)

+2
The Lazy Rosarian
muscovyduckling
6 posters

Go down

Recommend me some pale yellows and apricots please :) Empty Recommend me some pale yellows and apricots please :)

Post by muscovyduckling 2nd November 2014, 17:06

So I'm going to make a bed for pale yellow, pale apricot and white roses. This is entirely David's fault, and I will be suing for expenses, emotional distress, and loss of sanity, as well as seeking an injunction for Carole to put him in the doghouse for a bit on my behalf. Hahaha!

Seriously though, I'd like to hear about your best pale pastel yellows and apricots please.  Only condition is they be fragrant! And must be happy on a west facing slope, in the hot afternoon sun.

I've asked the same question on a different forum, so if I get any suggestions from there I'll let you know too, and you can tell me what you think.

Thankyou, enablers of Australia Smile
muscovyduckling
muscovyduckling

Number of posts : 771
Registration date : 2013-10-29

Back to top Go down

Recommend me some pale yellows and apricots please :) Empty Re: Recommend me some pale yellows and apricots please :)

Post by The Lazy Rosarian 3rd November 2014, 06:10

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
This should give you a start Zoe
The Lazy Rosarian
The Lazy Rosarian

Number of posts : 5191
Registration date : 2009-01-11

Back to top Go down

Recommend me some pale yellows and apricots please :) Empty Re: Recommend me some pale yellows and apricots please :)

Post by Barbara B 3rd November 2014, 07:59

Apricot Nectar
Grandpa Dickson
Elina

Barbara B

Number of posts : 429
Registration date : 2009-05-14

Back to top Go down

Post by betsyw 3rd November 2014, 08:50

Whites and yellow are one of the most elegant combinations of all time, Zoe. You will be the envy of all.

Have I mentioned Valencia lately? Probably, but I'm a broken record on the subject.

Not a pale yellow, not quite an apricot (see avatar), but close enough, and looks stunning nestled among white flowers, IMO. Lots of substance - thick petals - and shoudl last on teh bush, although mine mostly go in the vase.

The fragrance. Prepare to swoon.
betsyw
betsyw

Number of posts : 1340
Registration date : 2012-05-01

Back to top Go down

Post by silkyfizz 3rd November 2014, 13:02

Ha Betsy, you beat me to it! Following your strong recommendations, I planted Val this year as a bareroot and I am amazed at the beauty of her blooms. How huge are they! And the fragrance....delicious! So thank you for steering me towards her.
Zoe I heartily endorse Valencia too (can't you tell? Lol)
silkyfizz
silkyfizz

Number of posts : 1621
Registration date : 2012-07-21

Back to top Go down

Post by Barbara B 3rd November 2014, 17:51

In whites - try Virgo, Pascali, Frau Karl Drushki, Winchester Cathedral. Off-white, try Edelweiss, it's a ripper of a rose. It does so well here.

Barbara B

Number of posts : 429
Registration date : 2009-05-14

Back to top Go down

Post by SueH 4th November 2014, 12:47

How about Charles Darwin. Another new rose (fabulous imo!), Winter Sun. Pale gold going to white on the edges. Memoire - white - is lovely too! Pongs beautifully!! Wave

SueH

Number of posts : 737
Registration date : 2013-06-06

Back to top Go down

Post by muscovyduckling 4th November 2014, 20:20

I do love the pongers Sue! All awesome suggestions, thanks everyone Smile Charles Darwin is a good idea- do you have him? I'll have to sniff him on the weekend.

Betsy, how could I forget your one true love, Valencia? Great idea. 

And Gary, I saw (and sniffed) the lovely Frau in Perth, I did love her a lot.

Does anyone grow Just Joey? I know he's really common, my sister just loved him, and I thought the fragrance was pretty great. Is he worth his spot in the Hall of Fame?
muscovyduckling
muscovyduckling

Back to top Go down

Post by muscovyduckling 4th November 2014, 20:37

Oh Gary, do you grow Alexander Hill Gray?
muscovyduckling
muscovyduckling

Back to top Go down

Post by betsyw 4th November 2014, 21:32

You know, Zoe, I love Just Joey more than I love Valencia. The world loves JJ, and voted it their favourite in 1994. Its voluptuous flowers are heartstoppinglybeautiful and almost orchid-like in some opening stages. The soft sweet fragrance is unparalled. The shadings are as wonderfully changeable as the weather - rosey tones and deep peach in the cold, apricot to soft buff  gradings in high summer. And the petals are ruffled -not silly-frilly, but as if they were a fine fabric crimped and scalloped in a Parisian bridal atelier.

Enough rhapsodic twaddle. The big problem with JJ is that she (yes, named for one of Cants's owners' wives) has been cloned to death, I love JJ,but I've loved about 15 JJs: after a few years, each plant has just lost vigour, and wasted away. Not my singular problem - many friends here and in the USA report the same problem. But here especially.

I still say that hybridisers should take a chunk of the development money they throw away on JAPs and JAWs, and inexcusably flawed roses like Sweet Intoxication, and genetically modify JJ to produce SUPER JOEY. JMO

Of course, if you could fund such GMO pursuits, they would call the super-rose JUST ZOE
betsyw
betsyw

Number of posts : 1340
Registration date : 2012-05-01

Back to top Go down

Post by silkyfizz 4th November 2014, 22:20

Have you looked at Warm Wishes Zoe? It's a lovely creamy apricot, strong perfume, very healthy. I really wanted to get it but ran out of room. I took a photo of it at Werribee last year.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
As for Just Joey, I have 3 and agree with Betsy it can lose vigour over time. Magnificent in full flush but mine not too prolific after their spring extravaganza which is all too short. For some reason I only detect a faint fragrance.
silkyfizz
silkyfizz

Number of posts : 1621
Registration date : 2012-07-21

Back to top Go down

Post by muscovyduckling 17th November 2014, 16:11

Well. I bought Jude the Obscure last weekend at the rose show. Anna Olivier seems to be VERY apricot here, and my so-called Charles Rennie Mackintosh turned out to be some pale apricot imposter too. Abe Darby has only produced one bloom for me, but that was definitely on the apricot side of pink, and my Reve d'Or was on the yellowish side of cream. So! I think I've just about got the apricot side of things covered, although I will probably still get Crepuscule, and a couple of the darker apricot/orange ones like Lady of Shallot or Crown Princess Marg.

Now for some yellows! Exciting! I very nearly bought a Teasing Georgia at the show too...
muscovyduckling
muscovyduckling

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down