Rose Talk Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Watch This Space, more info coming.
by The Lazy Rosarian 21st September 2018, 06:25

» A Rose by any other name ...
by The Lazy Rosarian 17th September 2018, 19:26

» Looking for "St Brigid's Rose"
by The Lazy Rosarian 11th August 2018, 06:50

» And for David while he is away.
by neptune 19th July 2018, 23:57

» Wanting to talk with old roserian friends again, and new roserians friends too !
by rosemeadowtasmania 14th July 2018, 22:54

» Premature Petal dropping- Perth
by rosemeadowtasmania 5th July 2018, 15:27

» Vale: Meryl Constance
by rosemeadowtasmania 5th July 2018, 13:55

» Newbie to roses and forums for that matter!
by Steph 28th June 2018, 09:39

Just wondering if very pale green seedlings can grow normally?

Go down

Just wondering if very pale green seedlings can grow normally? Empty Just wondering if very pale green seedlings can grow normally?

Post by Guest 30th December 2009, 17:20

Today, while admiring a "normal" 2 day old seedling of "Agnes Bernauer", I looked over & saw a newly emerged seedling of "Remember Me" that is a very washed out greenish-yellow! I have only seen a few rose seedlings from the very beginning so I was wondering if pale seedlings are common & is there any hope for my newest seedling?

Back to top Go down

Just wondering if very pale green seedlings can grow normally? Empty Re: Just wondering if very pale green seedlings can grow normally?

Post by Admin 30th December 2009, 18:43

I tend to get a very wide spectrum of colours in seedling cotyledons. Sometimes they don't match the colour of the first true leaves. They range from dark purple, to orange, to green, to yellow and even white. The white ones are albinistic and usually die. Sometimes their chorophyll production kicks in and they green up and do ok when they get their first true leaves. The yellow/lime/green ones are often weaker. They will sometimes darken up. I personally usually discard ones that stay washed out because they are usually weak anyway. So I guess... just keep an eye on it for now and see whether the new leaves that emerge are darker and watch for overall vigour because there is a good chance it will be weaker.

Admin

Number of posts : 3750
Registration date : 2008-02-08

http://www.rosetalkaustralia.com

Back to top Go down

Just wondering if very pale green seedlings can grow normally? Empty Re: Just wondering if very pale green seedlings can grow normally?

Post by Guest 30th December 2009, 18:52

Thanks for all that info Simon. I will watch it closely & see what it does then (at least there is some hope hahaha). I like all the surprises that come along while raising rose seedlings!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 5th January 2010, 01:13

The seedling stayed pale & is now going brown & withering...it is obviously not long for this world! It did not even hint at growing any true leaves. Oh well.

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin 5th January 2010, 01:15

It's done you a favour then Wink It suicided before you had to cull it!

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 5th January 2010, 01:23

Haha true. I really did feel like helping it on its way...so very ugly but it made the other seedlings look amazingly brilliant in comparison!

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin 5th January 2010, 01:26

Most seedlings will go that way or be culled.. I planted around 1000 seeds in Spring and have weeded them down to about 20 seedlings so far and axe will continue to fall.

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 5th January 2010, 01:37

I am just a silly beginner & in awe of my first-borns...for now! With time, I am sure I will cull like a trooper.

I do need to toughen up because I don't want to keep garbage.

My 4 "Agnes Bernauer' seedlings all have lovely foliage & steadily grow whereas my 2 "Remember Me" seedlings are/were very ordinary. The surviving one grows well enough but its foliage is (TBH) pretty awful/ordinary. It looks like a weed...

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin 5th January 2010, 01:44

maybe it will be good for breeding.. if it fits your goals...

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 5th January 2010, 01:54

Maybe but IMO the days of the HT are over & I - like many others - will head down a different path. I view every seedling I have prior to this years crosses as education only.

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin 5th January 2010, 01:59

maybe... will always be a place for good cut flowers and you never know what links can be made with any rose variety... all my seedlings are in the name of educaton but to learn I believe you need to keep taking it to the next level... so seedlings such as HT seedlings could easily be taken to the next level. For example... Mr Moore worked for a very long time trying to get a fertile bracteata hybrid. It wasn't until he crossed bracteata with the climbing HT 'Guinee" that he was successful resulting in the seedling 'Muriel'. From this start many good bracteata hybrids have come. We can't get 'Muriel' or 'Out of Yesteryear' here so will probably have to reinvent the wheel... your HT seedlings may be just the bridge we are looking for...

Last edited by Simon on 5th January 2010, 02:19; edited 1 time in total

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 5th January 2010, 02:15

I must say it is tempting to put the healthier HT's over other healthy roses of whatever types to see what lies beneath. Your example above nicely explains & justifies there place in the world (& in my backyard LOL).

I was reminded just recently how far roses have come when I really looked closely at 2 HTs growing side by side in my garden. "In Appreciation" is miles ahead of "Kordes Perfecta" in appearance but both offer us breeders (new to the game or more experienced) possibilities. From nothing, good things can come & you are very right Simon, we just need to keep pushing ahead & finding things that work & move the rose onwards & upwards.

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin 5th January 2010, 02:20

That being said, Mr Moore also encountered many problems with this line and we could do well to learn from his mistakes too before making the same ones all over again.

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 5th January 2010, 02:30

I have been reading a lot about Mr Moore of late & what a great & generous man he was...just imagine what he knew about roses! I wish for that knowledge...

Major problems with a line must be very confronting after so much time & effort. I hope I handle it well when/if it happens. LOL

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down