Rose Talk Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Watch This Space, more info coming.
by The Lazy Rosarian 21st September 2018, 06:25

» A Rose by any other name ...
by The Lazy Rosarian 17th September 2018, 19:26

» Looking for "St Brigid's Rose"
by The Lazy Rosarian 11th August 2018, 06:50

» And for David while he is away.
by neptune 19th July 2018, 23:57

» Wanting to talk with old roserian friends again, and new roserians friends too !
by rosemeadowtasmania 14th July 2018, 22:54

» Premature Petal dropping- Perth
by rosemeadowtasmania 5th July 2018, 15:27

» Vale: Meryl Constance
by rosemeadowtasmania 5th July 2018, 13:55

» Newbie to roses and forums for that matter!
by Steph 28th June 2018, 09:39

Good small fragrant climber please

+6
muscovyduckling
Debbie G
betsyw
Balinbear
rosebud
maree
10 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Good small fragrant climber please - Page 2 Empty Re: Good small fragrant climber please

Post by betsyw 14th February 2014, 19:22

As the person who threw Celine's name into the hat, I woulod defitely advise you to go with the Crown Princess. On balance, I think Celine may not suit your temperament, maree. She wouldn't have suited mine had she been the only climber on my arbor - I had Reve D'Or alongside, and another Reve on teh opposite side, and the Reves did all the heavy lifting in terms of bloom and speed.

Celine was a bit of a princess in the worst sense. Loved her to pieces, but she didn't work hard for her living, that's for sure Wink))
betsyw
betsyw

Number of posts : 1340
Registration date : 2012-05-01

Back to top Go down

Good small fragrant climber please - Page 2 Empty Re: Good small fragrant climber please

Post by maree 14th February 2014, 19:37

Betsy , i'm sitting here laughing my head off , you seem to know me so well , and we've never met , so so funny , and you are probably right , i would have in a fit of impatience said , gone , gone , gone and pulled it out , when it didn't perform , Lol ha ha !!!   I think Margareta could be it !!!
maree
maree

Number of posts : 1733
Registration date : 2012-05-25

Back to top Go down

Post by AutumnDamask 14th February 2014, 19:40

maree wrote:Thanks Autumn , do you grow Celine ?
No, but 'Lamarque' and 'Crepuscule' and 'Mme Alfred Carriere' do just fine. Smile
Most things do up here - especially when I remember to water and feed them. And the  Tantrum  rose weevils don't take a liking to them.
AutumnDamask
AutumnDamask

Number of posts : 1360
Registration date : 2011-06-08

Back to top Go down

Post by rosebud 14th February 2014, 22:19

I wonder if you could possibly squeeze in both of your final choices? Margareta can get the ball rolling while Celine gets herself settled in...just a thought!!!
rosebud
rosebud

Number of posts : 195
Registration date : 2013-05-03

Back to top Go down

Post by silkyfizz 14th February 2014, 22:42

Girls I'm so enjoying this thread. I don't have an arbour or trellis so I'm not in the market for a climber but enjoy reading your comments and having a giggle. Also taking notes - you never know. Lol
silkyfizz
silkyfizz

Number of posts : 1621
Registration date : 2012-07-21

Back to top Go down

Post by maree 14th February 2014, 23:15

Jump on in Silky , you wouldn't believe how many hours i have spent on the computer , looking up climbing roses , gees lol !!   Rosebud , my poor little arbour couldn't handle it i don't think ... but its a good thought ....
maree
maree

Back to top Go down

Post by betsyw 15th February 2014, 05:58

Do you have a pic of said arbor, maree? Could son upload it?
You underestimate this crowd. We can find ways of sticking four climbers on something you thought could hold only one. Only one rose You hear how wrong that sounds ? Shocked 
betsyw
betsyw

Back to top Go down

Post by maree 15th February 2014, 07:42

Betsy , clever son not here , and i've got a snag with the arbour , i can only plant a rose on one side , which has a garden bed next to it , but on the other side there are water tanks and not enough space for a rose to grow , i have just tried growing a clematis there , but it hasn't done any good , there used to be just enough room but then the posts started to rot and husband concreted around them , taking up the available space , mmnn i'll have to scratch around and have a look .   The arbour measure's 1 metre wide ,and two metres height on each side .  Have to get my thinking cap on here and the shovel ... if i could make enough room on the sqashy side it would be perfect ....
maree
maree

Back to top Go down

Post by betsyw 15th February 2014, 07:55

What goes on underneath the arbor? Is it a walkway, or really just unused space beneath the arch that could take a pot? I grew a Mme Al in a large pot inside an arch some years back, and no probs, even with this big girl, which grew readily into the outside of teh curve. (is this a square or curved arbor, btw?).

But pix necessary. Coem home quickly, maree's son. Mum will give you a cookie, even.
betsyw
betsyw

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lazy Rosarian 15th February 2014, 08:21

Maree, what is on either corner of the garden bed at the base of the posts ?
The Lazy Rosarian
The Lazy Rosarian

Number of posts : 5191
Registration date : 2009-01-11

Back to top Go down

Post by silkyfizz 15th February 2014, 13:42

Betsy you stole my thunder. I was going to suggest planting something in a pot on the other side, either inside the arch, or if there's room on the outside of the arch. Great minds think alike they say. Lol. Good luck Maree, I'm sure you'll turn that arch into a beautiful cascade of fragrant blooms, by hook or by crook.
C'mon clever son, we need you!
silkyfizz
silkyfizz

Back to top Go down

Post by betsyw 15th February 2014, 14:10

Yes, yes silky! And now that we're taking charge of this arbor, how about TWO pots? Balance, of course. Very important ;-)

That would give maree three climbers to play with. When she goes into her executioner mode (and we know she will), she can chop out as many as two, and still have a climber left to do the job.

betsyw
betsyw

Back to top Go down

Post by silkyfizz 15th February 2014, 14:43

Executioner mode...hahaha. Bet Maree's roses quake down to their roots when they see that murderous glint in her eye and sense that determined tread coming down the path.
But yes, I think pots might be the go here Betsy, and balance is sooo important to create a pleasing vista. Just wouldn't have the same allure with a lopsided arbour, sort of like standing on the deck of the Titanic. C'mon Maree, you know you want to....
silkyfizz
silkyfizz

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lazy Rosarian 15th February 2014, 15:30

If it was I, I would place the two climbers in the ground on the same open side, then train them over the arbor and then root them on the other side and retrain them back to "TOTALLY" fill the arbor with fragrance.
The Lazy Rosarian
The Lazy Rosarian

Back to top Go down

Post by maree 15th February 2014, 23:12

Hi guys , been out all day , cause its my birthday , been to the pic's and out for tea too , now the arbour , clever son home , so i'll take some photo's tomorrow , underneath it there are steps , i used to have two red Pierre de Ronstaad over it , but as they had no fragrance i dispensed of them , and then husband put these great concrete circle around each post which really mucked up the squashy side , i had thought of a pot  , but thought it would look funny with one pot , but gosh never thought of a pot each side , what a good idea !!!   A fragrant arbour we shall build !!!  Thanks everyone !!!
maree
maree

Back to top Go down

Post by neptune 16th February 2014, 00:21

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]..   maree
neptune
neptune

Number of posts : 2450
Registration date : 2010-06-26

Back to top Go down

Post by betsyw 16th February 2014, 05:44

Ooooo! Happiest of birthdays to yoo-hoo, dear maree! Gosh,you arer the third person I know who celebrated the same occasion yesterday. Feb 15 produced a bumper crop of terrific people!

Before clever son leaves home again, he can upload pix, and then we can continue the celebrations with talk of fragrant arbor stuff ;-0)))
betsyw
betsyw

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lazy Rosarian 16th February 2014, 06:33

Maree, whilst clever son is at home, get him to write down instructions of how to upload photos and while he is still there , why don't you go through it a couple of times with him.
With the fragrant rose arbor, you might like to re-consider the idea of pots as this will restrict some of the growth of your chosen climbers. Also you will have to change them every couple of years and the potting mix.
A very happy birthday for yesterday.
The Lazy Rosarian
The Lazy Rosarian

Back to top Go down

Post by maree 16th February 2014, 07:28

Thanks Betsy and Roseman , clever son has shown me on numerous occasions how to do it , i even wrote it down , but then still get it wrong , but last time i actually did it , just takes a long time lol !!   Roseman i was thinking the exact thing this morning about pots , how do you repot the rose when its attached to the arbour , i think after all this , i need a rose that will cover it all from one side , just might  have to be patient with Celine or maybe go for Blush Noisette .
maree
maree

Back to top Go down

Post by betsyw 16th February 2014, 08:02

You bunch of wusses. Believe it when I tell you that repotting an arbor rose is pretty easy. I repotted that Mme Al Carriere I was talking about, after three years. It wasn't that hard, and I did it all by myself ! Just required a bit of grunt, and I don't have all that much grunt, I assure you ;-)Tipped the pot on its side, dragged it off to separate it from the rose ball, and the rest is obvious. Picking up the rose root ball to put back in refreshed pot took a little bit of effort, but I have carried bags of groceries that weighed more. Repea in another three years, maybe.

Hey, what happed to the Crown Princess??? Blush Noisette is just lovely, though, and I think it blooms better than Celine. {Probably faster climber, too. It is pink, though. Have you moved past the reds and yellows?
betsyw
betsyw

Back to top Go down

Post by maree 16th February 2014, 08:59

Lol Betsy , just had this mental picture of the rose attached to the arbour and me trying to repot the thing , don't really mind what colour , probably not red or pink , got enough of those colours , thought the Crown Princess would be good with the yellow/orangy colour , clutching at straws here , just gonna go out there with the shovel and see if i can make some more room on one side of this pesky arbour ....
maree
maree

Back to top Go down

Post by muscovyduckling 16th February 2014, 17:14

I can tell you for sure that Noisettes do just fine in Melbourne. This whole suburb is a Crepuscule fest, and it's probably a bit colder that where you are Maree.
muscovyduckling
muscovyduckling

Number of posts : 771
Registration date : 2013-10-29

Back to top Go down

Post by silkyfizz 16th February 2014, 21:58

Happy Birthday for yesterday Maree. It's certainly strange but I also celebrated my birthday yesterday! Unbelievable!
Gee this rose arbour discussion is like a seesaw isn't it? Which rose? Room to plant one or two? Pots or ground? The effort we go through eh?
Hang in there, it will look beautiful when it's finally finished.
silkyfizz
silkyfizz

Back to top Go down

Post by neptune 16th February 2014, 22:05

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Happy Birthday for yesterday, Silky....hope you had a wonderful day
neptune
neptune

Number of posts : 2450
Registration date : 2010-06-26

Back to top Go down

Post by silkyfizz 16th February 2014, 22:24

Thank you Neptune. Yes I had a lovely day.
silkyfizz
silkyfizz

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next