Rose Talk Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Watch This Space, more info coming.
by The Lazy Rosarian 21st September 2018, 06:25

» A Rose by any other name ...
by The Lazy Rosarian 17th September 2018, 19:26

» Looking for "St Brigid's Rose"
by The Lazy Rosarian 11th August 2018, 06:50

» And for David while he is away.
by neptune 19th July 2018, 23:57

» Wanting to talk with old roserian friends again, and new roserians friends too !
by rosemeadowtasmania 14th July 2018, 22:54

» Premature Petal dropping- Perth
by rosemeadowtasmania 5th July 2018, 15:27

» Vale: Meryl Constance
by rosemeadowtasmania 5th July 2018, 13:55

» Newbie to roses and forums for that matter!
by Steph 28th June 2018, 09:39

Advice for a Climber

4 posters

Go down

Advice for a Climber Empty Advice for a Climber

Post by Guest 3rd May 2009, 14:12

The west ( back) of our house has a narrow passage or alley, this is backed onto by the council walking track which runs along our fence line. We tend to store things like the wheelie bin, old plant pots, cement mixer, gravel pile and other junk there and it isn't the prettiest part of the garden. Bob has erected a trellis and a gate into this area - the trellis faces north and I'd like suggestions for a FAST growing vigorous climber that perhaps has perfume so that the walkers that use the track can get some pleasure out if it too. It will be fairly sheltered from our beastly east winds because it is next to the house.

Sorry not to post for ages - been having some health stuff, but better now.

Back to top Go down

Advice for a Climber Empty Re: Advice for a Climber

Post by Admin 3rd May 2009, 17:54

How fast does Crepuscle grow? I have a feeling I've read somewhere that it's not overly fast and gradually builds up mass over a few years. Violet has a lovely one (made up of four bushes) growing at her place that is growing on a verandah railing and she said it took four years to build up to what it is now (BUT it's about 14m long now)... that's pretty good going I reckon. Might go a little slower in Tas though. You can see it here in her thread on another (now disused) forum here : [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

I've only just planted mine and I hope to grow it as a shrub but it doesn't have a huge number of thorns, has nice fragrance, blooms non-stop, healthy, and is a lovely mid-light orange colour.

Admin

Number of posts : 3750
Registration date : 2008-02-08

http://www.rosetalkaustralia.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Billndee 3rd May 2009, 19:02

If you want a fast rose climber Cosmic you could look at a rambler. Go for New Dawn. Pale pink, repeats, gorgeous perfume, vigorous, thorny. It grows so fast you may even catch a walker or two if they dawdle.
I hope you are soon feeling much better. I am sorry you are not feeling too good. Sad

Billndee

Number of posts : 403
Registration date : 2008-02-23

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lazy Rosarian 3rd May 2009, 21:44

Blossom, have you got access to "Botanica Roses" the CD, in there you can place all or most of your criteria and come up with some options, I have it, talk to me if you like by that "PM" thing and we "will" be able to sort something out.
The Lazy Rosarian
The Lazy Rosarian

Number of posts : 5191
Registration date : 2009-01-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 3rd May 2009, 22:00

Pinkie Cl, thornless and will cover a typical garden arch in 2 years. Canes are flexable and easy to train. Flowes in flushes all year. Charming cottage look.

Marie Nabonnand is also mosty thornless and would cover an arch in 2 years. Flowers spring through summer. Evergreen, fragrant. Would need pruning to keep in check.

Renee is a thornless climber with soft pink flowers. Flexiable canes and easy to train. Repeats. Cottage look.

Kathleen Harrop, soft pink double, thornless climber. Good repeat, very vigerous, flexable canes. Would cover an arch in a year but would need pruning to keep it in check. Very fragrant. Dark pink parent Zephy is ditto to above, but less rebloom. Some blackspot.

Aimee Vibert is a thornless climber with flexable canes, would cover an arch in 2 years. Pink bud white flowers, summer through to winter frosts, ever green. Fragrant.

Reine Des Violettes is thornless, very fragrant mauve purple flowers. Would need one on each side, but makes a great small climber. Some blackspot.

Larmarque, soft creamy white hint of yellow fragrant blooms. Might be a bit big for a small arch but if there is room this is a lovely rose.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 4th May 2009, 09:33

Wow - thanks a lot - I think I have to get my rose books out and visualise some of these in place. Dee, I'm getting better slowly. Doing my exercises. Didn't come to Hobart last week as it is so close to due date we'll be coming to mind the boys very soon. We put a heat pump in for them instead.

Back to top Go down

Post by Billndee 4th May 2009, 16:47

i have not had much success with Reine de Violettes or Pinkie down here. They are both struggling. Could be the cold.

Billndee

Number of posts : 403
Registration date : 2008-02-23

Back to top Go down

Post by Carole 4th May 2009, 21:59

Blossom, It is great to see you on the forum but please get well again before you do to much. Now the real point of this post is that you didn't say the type of rose you would prefer e.g. H.T. like Peace . Floribunda or Old Rose or D.A. or any other type. Don't forget David (Roseman) said to let him know if you don't have Botanica of Roses. Keep well. Carole.
Carole
Carole

Number of posts : 1034
Registration date : 2009-04-16

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down