Rose Talk Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Watch This Space, more info coming.
by The Lazy Rosarian 21st September 2018, 06:25

» A Rose by any other name ...
by The Lazy Rosarian 17th September 2018, 19:26

» Looking for "St Brigid's Rose"
by The Lazy Rosarian 11th August 2018, 06:50

» And for David while he is away.
by neptune 19th July 2018, 23:57

» Wanting to talk with old roserian friends again, and new roserians friends too !
by rosemeadowtasmania 14th July 2018, 22:54

» Premature Petal dropping- Perth
by rosemeadowtasmania 5th July 2018, 15:27

» Vale: Meryl Constance
by rosemeadowtasmania 5th July 2018, 13:55

» Newbie to roses and forums for that matter!
by Steph 28th June 2018, 09:39

Sunburnt canes , how have you fared ?

+5
The Lazy Rosarian
Debbie G
Ausrose
silkyfizz
maree
9 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Sunburnt canes , how have you fared ? - Page 2 Empty Re: Sunburnt canes , how have you fared ?

Post by Balinbear 9th February 2014, 21:51

I remember reading that you should water in the morning to wash the spores off but not in the evening as the cool wet leaves helps the spores to germinate.
Balinbear
Balinbear

Number of posts : 1459
Registration date : 2010-01-30

Back to top Go down

Sunburnt canes , how have you fared ? - Page 2 Empty Re: Sunburnt canes , how have you fared ?

Post by Ausrose 9th February 2014, 22:34

The evaporation is higher later in the morning but it suits me to have the sprinklers on at that time.

In the recent hot weather the 4 o'clock spray doesn't leave the foliage moist going into the cool nights.

Ausrose

Number of posts : 1318
Registration date : 2012-01-26

Back to top Go down

Post by curdle1 11th February 2014, 00:56

I have often wondered about the whole "no over head watering" thing myself. Logically, isn't that how roses would normally get watered through rainfall? And quite a few sources recommend foliar feeding- doesn't that make the leaves wet?

Does it has more to do with the humidity in the air?  Late Spring here (at least in Melb) has consistently wet and warmish air..I had a wonderful early flush, before it warmed up a bit more and then blackspot hit). Now its Summer, and the air is drier, and BS is gone altogether.

I don't tend to water until fairly late (not an early morning person, so not much before work watering here - and its been far too hot to water until early evening, usually around 7.30 -8.30 pm) and I have been regularly watering the leaves as well, as a possible control for spider mites.  I still have spider mites, but no black spot as yet.

What do you guys usually do with sun scalded canes? I have a fair few of those Sad I guess trim them off, but is there any way I can help the plant to recover?

curdle1

Number of posts : 25
Registration date : 2013-10-29

Back to top Go down

Post by silkyfizz 11th February 2014, 13:40

Curdle, like you I have often wondered about how roses love a nice shower yet overhead watering is deemed such a no-no. Now I'm a little confused.
Re sunburned canes, luckily I've been spared so far, but if it was me, I'd leave them for a while to protect the rest of the foliage from burning.
silkyfizz
silkyfizz

Number of posts : 1621
Registration date : 2012-07-21

Back to top Go down

Post by maree 11th February 2014, 13:52

Curdle Neutrog GOGO juice , is supposed to be good for plant vigor , i've only just started using it , otherwise good old Seasol .
maree
maree

Number of posts : 1733
Registration date : 2012-05-25

Back to top Go down

Post by silkyfizz 11th February 2014, 14:43

I'll be interested in how GOGO Juice compares Maree. Can you please keep us updated as time goes by?
silkyfizz
silkyfizz

Number of posts : 1621
Registration date : 2012-07-21

Back to top Go down

Post by maree 11th February 2014, 18:46

Sure thing Silky , GOGO juice is different to Seasol , its a soil conditioner ,full of good microbes they say , good for plant vigour and preventing BS they say , you wouldn't use it as a foliar spray.  The idea is to use Seamungus year around , use GOGO juice on the soil once a month and Sudden Impact during the growing season , all Neutrog products . You can us GOGO on everything in the garden ...  We'll see ....
maree
maree

Number of posts : 1733
Registration date : 2012-05-25

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2