Rose Talk Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Watch This Space, more info coming.
by The Lazy Rosarian 21st September 2018, 06:25

» A Rose by any other name ...
by The Lazy Rosarian 17th September 2018, 19:26

» Looking for "St Brigid's Rose"
by The Lazy Rosarian 11th August 2018, 06:50

» And for David while he is away.
by neptune 19th July 2018, 23:57

» Wanting to talk with old roserian friends again, and new roserians friends too !
by rosemeadowtasmania 14th July 2018, 22:54

» Premature Petal dropping- Perth
by rosemeadowtasmania 5th July 2018, 15:27

» Vale: Meryl Constance
by rosemeadowtasmania 5th July 2018, 13:55

» Newbie to roses and forums for that matter!
by Steph 28th June 2018, 09:39

How to get roses to ' sprout 'new canes when they have stopped producing them ..

+6
AutumnDamask
Ausrose
SueH
silkyfizz
Alee
maree
10 posters

Go down

How to get roses to ' sprout 'new canes when they have stopped producing them .. Empty How to get roses to ' sprout 'new canes when they have stopped producing them ..

Post by maree 18th August 2013, 16:04

Just started this topic to follow on from the last ' How long do modern roses live ' topic . If you have any tips on getting stubborn roses to sprout new canes from the base , please share .... thanks ...
maree
maree

Number of posts : 1733
Registration date : 2012-05-25

Back to top Go down

How to get roses to ' sprout 'new canes when they have stopped producing them .. Empty Re: How to get roses to ' sprout 'new canes when they have stopped producing them ..

Post by Alee 18th August 2013, 16:45

I have read that Epsom Salt (Magnesium Sulphate) promotes new basal shoots on rose plants.

Alee

Number of posts : 239
Registration date : 2009-02-06

Back to top Go down

How to get roses to ' sprout 'new canes when they have stopped producing them .. Empty Re: How to get roses to ' sprout 'new canes when they have stopped producing them ..

Post by silkyfizz 18th August 2013, 16:47

Hi Maree, sorry can't help here, but maybe you can help me! My Edmund E Rothschild planted bareroot June has me a bit worried. It hasn't shown any sign of sprouting yet, stems still green bit tiny bit black/brown on ends of its rather spindly stems. All around it in that bed new roses are sprouting. Is this a "slow" rose to get going? What's your experience?
Input from anyone else is welcome too of course.
silkyfizz
silkyfizz

Number of posts : 1621
Registration date : 2012-07-21

Back to top Go down

Post by SueH 18th August 2013, 17:53

Sorry Maree, didn't see this new topic until I ha posted on the "How long do modern....". I've had good success with using a wire brush on the bud union. One old "inherited" rose, no have 4 - 5 new buds on it, after I had pruned and carefully wire brushed it's union! Try it.

SueH

Number of posts : 737
Registration date : 2013-06-06

Back to top Go down

Post by maree 18th August 2013, 21:51

Thanks Alee , thanks Sue , Silky my Baron de Rothschild was a normal growing rose , not slow , definately not , hope yours is okay , where did you buy it from ?
maree
maree

Back to top Go down

Post by silkyfizz 18th August 2013, 22:09

Magic Gardens. All the ones I got from them were sturdy but the Baron was quite spindly I thought, compared to the others. I'll just wait and see and hope for the best.
silkyfizz
silkyfizz

Back to top Go down

Post by maree 18th August 2013, 22:56

Good luck , maybe let them know ...
maree
maree

Back to top Go down

Post by Ausrose 19th August 2013, 04:44

New canes eminating from the bud union are often referred to as water shoots and from my experience that is exactly what they are. A couple of years back Sydney experienced a big wet and in a three months period we had somewhere in the vicinity of 800 mm of rain. During this period I ran out of stakes to stake the water shoots and had to purchase more. In a normal year I would use about a dozen during the wet I staked in excess of 50 water shoots. My conclusion from this experience is the more water the more water shoots. So based on this evidence  when a rose is being rejuvenated it should be hit with extra water.

Ausrose

Number of posts : 1318
Registration date : 2012-01-26

Back to top Go down

Post by AutumnDamask 19th August 2013, 06:48

Well then. The rain we've been getting the last couple of months might be useful.
Pouring Rain 
AutumnDamask
AutumnDamask

Number of posts : 1360
Registration date : 2011-06-08

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lazy Rosarian 19th August 2013, 07:05

Maree, I do not grow standards, But I inherited a weeping standard which was in poor health(suckers, rose wheel), I removed the suckers and rose wheel, poured water and food into it. I reduced it back basically to the union stump, wire brushed it and with lots more water and food it recovered. It is over twenty years old as we sold it to the lady which owned this house when I was at the rose nursery. The thing with standards in my opinion is they are further away from the "food chain". By this I mean the circle to which the supply of food comes from the roots system and the the desired rose form/the atmosphere. Abush rose has one bud, a standard has two, a weeping standard three. If you notice the pattern the further from the ground the more buds are used. You will also notice it takes longer for the plant to grow into anything resembling a bush rose. So if you have followed my rambling to this point you will see the pattern of growth in relation to the type of rose you have. If you prune your standard back to the bud unions it will come back with new shoots(water shoots) in my opinion, but with time because of the "food chain" I previously spoke of, again as Doug(Ausrose) said about the water aspect you will need to do similar., Hope this helps in some way.
The Lazy Rosarian
The Lazy Rosarian

Number of posts : 5191
Registration date : 2009-01-11

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lazy Rosarian 19th August 2013, 07:07

Yes I believe it will be Wendy, and if you get some rain in the future , venture out in it and feed the roses and anything else you feed the plants will respond to both elements rain water with all it's goodies and then the food will interact with it.
The Lazy Rosarian
The Lazy Rosarian

Number of posts : 5191
Registration date : 2009-01-11

Back to top Go down

Post by jordan71 19th August 2013, 08:53

silkyfizz wrote:Magic Gardens. All the ones I got from them were sturdy but the Baron was quite spindly I thought, compared to the others. I'll just wait and see and hope for the best.
silky if its still showing green there might be hope yet , I would suggest give it a hard prune back to where you see a healthy eye

if nothing happens after that I would be a bit concerned , I guess I would pull it out and see if the roots still okay

good luck
jordan71
jordan71

Number of posts : 1699
Registration date : 2012-03-02

Back to top Go down

Post by maree 19th August 2013, 22:19

Thanks Ausrose and Roseman , what you say certainly makes a lot of sense , standards , i'm starting to think they are more trouble than they are worth , but i do like the vertical element they give to the garden , i'm going to try all of your little tricks and keep fingers crossed ...
maree
maree

Back to top Go down

Post by Ausrose 20th August 2013, 05:57

Silkyfizz's problem of having a rose that doesn't perform isn't uncommon as over the years I have received a rose in batch of rose that have done extremely well that just didn't perform and I many cases slowly died. There are many theories about what cause the problem one of which is the rose dries out at some stage of its journey from the padlock to the home gardener.

Ausrose

Number of posts : 1318
Registration date : 2012-01-26

Back to top Go down

Post by silkyfizz 20th August 2013, 11:09

Thanks Jordan and Ausrose for advice. I will cut it back a little (not much to cut) to encourage it further. I know it didn't dry out once I got it, maybe it was just a dud. I'm loathe to dig it up to check roots at this stage. I'll just be patient and let nature take its course. A few words spoken gently might help! Lol
silkyfizz
silkyfizz

Back to top Go down

Post by Dimity Cottage 5th September 2013, 17:53

I have a Standard Weeping 'Buff Beauty' that has never looked good, since the day I bought it. The stem has always looked very Old, Grey, Splitting & Rough. I never complained about it as so many of my roses were like that, that I bought from this nursery. I bought Potted roses from quite a big Nursery & Online Rose seller who only sells potted roses.
My question is do you think I could apply the Wire Brush Method to the stem to clean it up a bit & then cut it well back on the top to Stop it & me (Weeping Sad Tears).
Dimity Cottage
Dimity Cottage

Number of posts : 333
Registration date : 2013-09-01

Back to top Go down

Post by neptune 5th September 2013, 19:00

Give it a go , but do it at pruning time
neptune
neptune

Number of posts : 2450
Registration date : 2010-06-26

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down