Rose Talk Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Watch This Space, more info coming.
by The Lazy Rosarian 21st September 2018, 06:25

» A Rose by any other name ...
by The Lazy Rosarian 17th September 2018, 19:26

» Looking for "St Brigid's Rose"
by The Lazy Rosarian 11th August 2018, 06:50

» And for David while he is away.
by neptune 19th July 2018, 23:57

» Wanting to talk with old roserian friends again, and new roserians friends too !
by rosemeadowtasmania 14th July 2018, 22:54

» Premature Petal dropping- Perth
by rosemeadowtasmania 5th July 2018, 15:27

» Vale: Meryl Constance
by rosemeadowtasmania 5th July 2018, 13:55

» Newbie to roses and forums for that matter!
by Steph 28th June 2018, 09:39

Sunburnt canes , how have you fared ?

+5
The Lazy Rosarian
Debbie G
Ausrose
silkyfizz
maree
9 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Sunburnt canes , how have you fared ? Empty Sunburnt canes , how have you fared ?

Post by maree 7th February 2014, 19:52

This brutally hot summer has caused a bit of damage with the new roses , mainly one new climbing Nahema , the canes did get sunburnt , i have had to cut them off as they were severely damaged .   I'm going to  cover it up for the remaining hot days of this dreadful summer , hoping this Nahema recovers .    How has everyone else fared ?
maree
maree

Number of posts : 1733
Registration date : 2012-05-25

Back to top Go down

Sunburnt canes , how have you fared ? Empty Re: Sunburnt canes , how have you fared ?

Post by silkyfizz 7th February 2014, 23:16

Sorry to hear about Nahema Maree. Hope it recovers. This summer has been horrific, taking its toll on not just the garden but me as well. Fortunately I haven't had much damage beyond frizzled blooms. I also haven't done any summer pruning, just snipping off spent blooms, so there is as much foliage protection as possible. Keeping up the water is hard though.
silkyfizz
silkyfizz

Number of posts : 1621
Registration date : 2012-07-21

Back to top Go down

Sunburnt canes , how have you fared ? Empty Re: Sunburnt canes , how have you fared ?

Post by Ausrose 8th February 2014, 05:19

Always a problem for me. This year I have kept it to a minimum by ensuring I have maintained my preventative spray program thus retaining much foliage.

Ausrose

Number of posts : 1318
Registration date : 2012-01-26

Back to top Go down

Post by Debbie G 8th February 2014, 06:40

It's so sad and such a waste, all those roses that are frizzled as soon as they poke a petal out. But Autumn is coming!! Hurray!

Debbie G

Number of posts : 104
Registration date : 2013-10-29

Back to top Go down

Post by Ausrose 8th February 2014, 06:51

The roses I have in pots are automatically watered once a day and I have found the flowers don't frizzle up for want of a better term even during the hottest days.

Ausrose

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lazy Rosarian 8th February 2014, 07:05

Foliage and water are very important with the heat at present.
Doug the roses you have in the garden, are they on drip irrigation and timers or what ?
The Lazy Rosarian
The Lazy Rosarian

Number of posts : 5191
Registration date : 2009-01-11

Back to top Go down

Post by maree 8th February 2014, 08:44

Most of the other roses except for frizzeled blooms are okay , a bit of sunburn , but no real damage , giving the garden lots of water (OMG the water bill)and just tip dead heading , the Nahema got burnt where the canes where exposed from training them and it was the 44 degree day that did it , should have thought to cover it up .     Silky it has been a harsh summer thats for sure , sooner it ends the better ..
maree
maree

Back to top Go down

Post by silkyfizz 8th February 2014, 11:08

Another day of 40 degrees today. Roses have lots of buds but I'm wilting! Roll on glorious autumn!
Water bill ...I feel your pain Maree, I nearly keeled over when I opened ours a couple of days ago.  OMG!!! 
silkyfizz
silkyfizz

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lazy Rosarian 8th February 2014, 12:06

Can I trade your water bill for our Electricity bill as that is how we get our water, Maree or Silky
The Lazy Rosarian
The Lazy Rosarian

Back to top Go down

Post by silkyfizz 8th February 2014, 12:11

Touche Roseman. Lol
silkyfizz
silkyfizz

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lazy Rosarian 8th February 2014, 12:17

silkyfizz wrote:Touche Roseman. Lol

Which is worse, electricity or water
The Lazy Rosarian
The Lazy Rosarian

Back to top Go down

Post by muscovyduckling 8th February 2014, 14:26

My Renae and New Dawn are very crispy, don't know if they will make it. But Kathleen Harrop is looking good, although all her little flower buds got cooked.

I don't know what the difference is. Perhaps I didn't mulch the other two enough or perhaps the soil there is too clay-like and doesn't soak up the water. Hmmm.
muscovyduckling
muscovyduckling

Number of posts : 771
Registration date : 2013-10-29

Back to top Go down

Post by Ausrose 8th February 2014, 15:56

David a combination of drip irrigation and in one section overhead sprays hooked to an automatic timer. It is interesting to note the ones under the sprays virtually didn't have spider mite. For next summer I am designing a watering system based on my present overhead spraying system that at this stage, I believe will eliminate red spider mite.

Ausrose

Back to top Go down

Post by maree 9th February 2014, 00:02

Ausrose , are you saying that the sprays wash off the spider mites , better keep us tuned on this one ...
maree
maree

Back to top Go down

Post by Ausrose 9th February 2014, 02:26

You can wash off the mites with a jet of water on a regular basis however with respect to my sprays it would be the continuous presence of that keeps the mites off the bushes.

Ausrose

Back to top Go down

Post by silkyfizz 9th February 2014, 10:03

Very interesting Ausrose. I've always thought that overhead spraying leads to fungal diseases, with the damp foliage creating the environment for black spot and mildew to flourish. How do you get around that?
silkyfizz
silkyfizz

Back to top Go down

Post by Balinbear 9th February 2014, 12:17

Generally I believe that the idea of overhead watering is that it washes off the spores that cause the problems. Once on the ground they die.

Up here if we have a wet spring we don't get anywhere near as much mildew as we do if we do not have the rain.
Balinbear
Balinbear

Number of posts : 1459
Registration date : 2010-01-30

Back to top Go down

Post by neptune 9th February 2014, 12:21

silky...have you noticed that all nurseries use overhead spraying and then you can't count out the rain.....as Gary said ...great washing effect
neptune
neptune

Number of posts : 2450
Registration date : 2010-06-26

Back to top Go down

Post by silkyfizz 9th February 2014, 13:37

Hmmm... maybe I need to rethink things. I'm always so careful not to wet any foliage when watering and diligently pick up dead leaves underneath the bushes and pick off any spotty leaves still on the bush, as I do the rounds. I still get BS though and even rust! I thought the spores that fall can survive for ages so you have given me food for thought.
Re nurseries. My local ones seem to water by hand. Rose growers I assumed used irrigation or trickle systems. But then my experience is pretty limited.
silkyfizz
silkyfizz

Back to top Go down

Post by maree 9th February 2014, 16:19

I'm like you Silky , have been brainwashed into thinking that you absolutely do not wet the leaves of  roses , have we made things too difficult for ourselves i wonder , maybe i'll use the sprinkler a bit more instead of standing there for hours with the hose ..
maree
maree

Back to top Go down

Post by neptune 9th February 2014, 16:56

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
neptune
neptune

Back to top Go down

Post by Ausrose 9th February 2014, 17:22

It is a dilemma with respect to fungal diseases however I must admit the roses under the sprinklers haven't had any more fungal diseases than the roses on a drip system in another part of the block.

Ausrose

Back to top Go down

Post by silkyfizz 9th February 2014, 17:45

What you say is very encouraging Ausrose.
I wonder if it matters what time of day the foliage gets wet? Early morning? Crack of dawn? Ahem...I don't do early morning.
Hear hear maree. Maybe we've been conned all these years. Using a sprinkler would save sooo much time, not to mention all the mozzies I'd avoid.
silkyfizz
silkyfizz

Back to top Go down

Post by Ausrose 9th February 2014, 18:30

The sprays come on at 9 a.m. and 4 p.m.

Ausrose

Back to top Go down

Post by neptune 9th February 2014, 20:50

Doug, do you find that on hot days the water evaporates much quicker when you put it on at 9am as say compare to coming on at 6am when evaporation is less
neptune
neptune

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next