Rose Talk Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Watch This Space, more info coming.
by The Lazy Rosarian 21st September 2018, 06:25

» A Rose by any other name ...
by The Lazy Rosarian 17th September 2018, 19:26

» Looking for "St Brigid's Rose"
by The Lazy Rosarian 11th August 2018, 06:50

» And for David while he is away.
by neptune 19th July 2018, 23:57

» Wanting to talk with old roserian friends again, and new roserians friends too !
by rosemeadowtasmania 14th July 2018, 22:54

» Premature Petal dropping- Perth
by rosemeadowtasmania 5th July 2018, 15:27

» Vale: Meryl Constance
by rosemeadowtasmania 5th July 2018, 13:55

» Newbie to roses and forums for that matter!
by Steph 28th June 2018, 09:39

DO RUGOSA ROSES COPE IN A HOT CLIMATE?

+3
jordan71
maree
rosebud
7 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

DO RUGOSA ROSES COPE IN A HOT CLIMATE? Empty DO RUGOSA ROSES COPE IN A HOT CLIMATE?

Post by rosebud 24th January 2014, 15:58

I have been reading Peter Beales' 1988 book on Twentieth Century Roses. A fabulous read where he describes his visit to the epic David Ruston rose nursery in the 1980s. He later mentions the Rugosa roses and their dislike of the heat, stating that they will not cope with intense heat (not that our heat is as intense as in some southern parts of Australia).

I was planning to put in a hedge of Rugosas this winter to mitigate some of the hot winds our rose garden is exposed to. I have not been able to find any local or other mention of Rugosa roses growing well or otherwise in our cooler sub-tropical climate in the hinterland.

Does anyone have any knowledge/experience of Rugosas as a hedge, how they cope with exposed, windy sites and if they would suffer with longer periods of warmth, wet feet and alternative seasons of drought? I have also considered Hybrid Musks but don't know if they will be tough enough for the exposure to warm winds.

Perhaps I should abandon the idea and just put in a hedge of callistemon?
rosebud
rosebud

Number of posts : 195
Registration date : 2013-05-03

Back to top Go down

DO RUGOSA ROSES COPE IN A HOT CLIMATE? Empty Re: DO RUGOSA ROSES COPE IN A HOT CLIMATE?

Post by maree 24th January 2014, 17:40

Rugosa's i think are pretty much indestructible , but very, very, thorny , good if you want to keep out rabbits i think as a hedge .  Callistemons are great for the birds , bees and as a hedge .  I love Callistemon , but you do need to prune off the old flowers after they flower ,i wouldn't plant Callistemon and roses together either ....
maree
maree

Number of posts : 1733
Registration date : 2012-05-25

Back to top Go down

DO RUGOSA ROSES COPE IN A HOT CLIMATE? Empty Re: DO RUGOSA ROSES COPE IN A HOT CLIMATE?

Post by jordan71 24th January 2014, 18:57

my rugosa's did okay in the heat, then again our heat and climate are different to yours rosebud.
jordan71
jordan71

Number of posts : 1699
Registration date : 2012-03-02

Back to top Go down

Post by silkyfizz 24th January 2014, 19:28

Rosebud, from my understanding, rugosas are the toughest of plants and I have heard of them planted in virtual sand dunes and not only surviving but thriving in those conditions. I don't have any experience of growing them myself but I do love them.
silkyfizz
silkyfizz

Number of posts : 1621
Registration date : 2012-07-21

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lazy Rosarian 25th January 2014, 06:08

Rosebud, they should grow in your area, as Silky has mentioned sand, they have been used for stabilization in dunes. Have you got any idea which one/one's you might use for the hedge, I can do some research on specific one's with HMF
The Lazy Rosarian
The Lazy Rosarian

Number of posts : 5191
Registration date : 2009-01-11

Back to top Go down

Post by muscovyduckling 25th January 2014, 10:10

Rosebud, I have been told by a certain 'Reliable' source that Rugosa's make the BEST hedge due to their upgright bushy growth, thorns, and because they're tough as old boots. However due to their upright growth apparently they mostly flower on the top of the plants, rather than all the way to the ground. Perhaps it would be a good idea to plant a smaller growing hedge in front of them to give some interest down low too (this is getting expensive I know... Maybe next year?)

I don't know what your microclimate is like in the Hinterlands but if it's anything like the Melbourne climate they should be fine- there are a few old Rugosa hedges around town here that look great. Another one that is used quite a lot down here for hedging is Crepuscule. The Crepuscule hedge around the corner from my place has held up really well to our week of 40+ degrees and is covered in blooms again.
muscovyduckling
muscovyduckling

Number of posts : 771
Registration date : 2013-10-29

Back to top Go down

Post by rosebud 25th January 2014, 10:13

Thank you all for your help. I will do a little more research and re-consider the rugosas. Although your mention of the birds and bees loving the callistemon hedge, Maree, makes me want to go out and purchase/plant some callistemons straight away!
Thanks, roseman, the rugosas I was looking at were Roseraie deL'Hay as I wanted the flowers to be pickable and perfumed and I also love Agnes, despite it's single flowering season. Others under consideration are, Sarah Van Fleet, Mrs Doreen Pyke and Svnr de Philemon Cochet.
Again, thank you all for your suggestions.
rosebud
rosebud

Back to top Go down

Post by muscovyduckling 25th January 2014, 10:23

Oh I do love callistemon, especially the pink flowered variety, but it makes me sneeze a LOT when it's in flower and it's windy. Wattle too. Just something to consider if you have allergies.
muscovyduckling
muscovyduckling

Back to top Go down

Post by rosebud 25th January 2014, 10:32

Yes, I really am considering the callistemon hedge. I can always have two hedges, right?  Very Happy 
rosebud
rosebud

Back to top Go down

Post by muscovyduckling 25th January 2014, 14:05

Why stop at two?
muscovyduckling
muscovyduckling

Back to top Go down

Post by rosebud 25th January 2014, 15:45

Love the way you're thinking muscovyduckling ... the sky's the limit!
rosebud
rosebud

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lazy Rosarian 26th January 2014, 06:56

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
This is the story from HMF on your 4 roses rosebud
The Lazy Rosarian
The Lazy Rosarian

Number of posts : 5191
Registration date : 2009-01-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Balinbear 26th January 2014, 07:45

I vaguely remember someone telling me that they did not do all that well up our way. Can't remember the reason but it may have something to do with the humidity and the roots. Not sure and we have never tried them.
Balinbear
Balinbear

Number of posts : 1459
Registration date : 2010-01-30

Back to top Go down

Post by jordan71 26th January 2014, 18:00

ROSERAIE DE L'HAY
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

SARAH VAN FLEET

MRS DOREEN  PIKE

R.RUGOSA ALBA

SCABROSA

BELLE POITEVINE

DELICATA

FRAU DAGMAR HASTRUP

HANSA

MME GEORGES BRUANT

PARFUM DE L'HAY

PINK GROOTENDORST

VANGUARD

there are others but not sure where I placed the pics on the pc
jordan71
jordan71

Back to top Go down

Post by muscovyduckling 26th January 2014, 20:19

Wow Dan! I love love love Mme Georges Bruant! And Vanguard is stunning! Where did these little beauties come from? I haven't seen Mme Georges in any of the catalogues.
muscovyduckling
muscovyduckling

Back to top Go down

Post by silkyfizz 26th January 2014, 21:01

So much beauty Dan. The perfume wafting around your yard must be amazing! Madame George and Parfum de L'Hay I think are my favourites but then it's hard to choose between such gorgeous blooms.
silkyfizz
silkyfizz

Back to top Go down

Post by jordan71 26th January 2014, 21:17

muscovyduckling wrote:Wow Dan! I love love love Mme Georges Bruant! And Vanguard is stunning! Where did these little beauties come from? I haven't seen Mme Georges in any of the catalogues.

cant remember where I got Mme Georges from sorry
jordan71
jordan71

Back to top Go down

Post by jordan71 26th January 2014, 21:18

silkyfizz wrote:So much beauty Dan. The perfume wafting around your yard must be amazing! Madame George and Parfum de L'Hay I think are my favourites but then it's hard to choose between such gorgeous blooms.

thanks silky, rugosas are very hardy roses and free of diseases and the perfume is a big bonus Smile
jordan71
jordan71

Back to top Go down

Post by silkyfizz 26th January 2014, 21:24

Every single time I've gone to a nursery where a rugosa is in bloom, I find myself loitering around it just to enjoy the perfume and those amazing green felted leaves. There's just something very alluring about them I think.
silkyfizz
silkyfizz

Back to top Go down

Post by jordan71 26th January 2014, 21:28

yeah I agree the foliage is beautiful silky, and the perfume is very inviting , I wish I could ad more to my collection , most of them get way too big to grow in pots Sad
jordan71
jordan71

Back to top Go down

Post by maree 26th January 2014, 21:51

I had Scabrosa for quite a few years and i really liked it , but no one knew what it was , i would always get asked what sort of plant it was and i would knowingly say well its a rose of course ....
maree
maree

Back to top Go down

Post by jordan71 26th January 2014, 21:54

Scabrosa is a beauty maree, what happened to it ?
jordan71
jordan71

Back to top Go down

Post by maree 26th January 2014, 22:00

Well , i was like you Jordan , i had roses everywhere , front and back and then i diversified and culled all but about 22 , the garden bed that Scabrosa was in i turned into a native garden , have found its better to have a varied garden , less disease and better for the bugs and bees and birds ....  The roses i have now have to perform or they get the heave ho ...
maree
maree

Back to top Go down

Post by jordan71 26th January 2014, 22:01

fair enough maree
jordan71
jordan71

Back to top Go down

Post by silkyfizz 26th January 2014, 22:10

Maree I agree with you about having diversity in the garden. I have found it really makes a difference in attracting birdlife, bees and other insects and all that activity brings the whole garden to life. Less disease is an added bonus.
How big did your scabrosa get Maree?
silkyfizz
silkyfizz

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next