Rose Talk Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Watch This Space, more info coming.
by The Lazy Rosarian 21st September 2018, 06:25

» A Rose by any other name ...
by The Lazy Rosarian 17th September 2018, 19:26

» Looking for "St Brigid's Rose"
by The Lazy Rosarian 11th August 2018, 06:50

» And for David while he is away.
by neptune 19th July 2018, 23:57

» Wanting to talk with old roserian friends again, and new roserians friends too !
by rosemeadowtasmania 14th July 2018, 22:54

» Premature Petal dropping- Perth
by rosemeadowtasmania 5th July 2018, 15:27

» Vale: Meryl Constance
by rosemeadowtasmania 5th July 2018, 13:55

» Newbie to roses and forums for that matter!
by Steph 28th June 2018, 09:39

climbing rose Nahema and a Clematis

+3
jordan71
betsyw
maree
7 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

climbing rose Nahema and a Clematis  Empty climbing rose Nahema and a Clematis

Post by maree 24th January 2014, 11:09

Here is my attempt at growing a clmbing rose and a clematis together , seems to be going okay , except for the extreme hot weather which burnt the stems of the rose and frizzled the leaves , all in all though Nahema stood up well for a first year rose , have two of these ...[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
maree
maree

Number of posts : 1733
Registration date : 2012-05-25

Back to top Go down

climbing rose Nahema and a Clematis  Empty Re: climbing rose Nahema and a Clematis

Post by betsyw 24th January 2014, 16:58

They look sensational, quite likely even scent- sational ;-) Tell us about Nahema's perfume. I knwo it's named for teh perfume Nahema (Guerlain???)but always wondered what was marketing-naming hype and what might be the reality.

Nice bit of fer-forge for them to climb on, too. Looks very European.
betsyw
betsyw

Number of posts : 1340
Registration date : 2012-05-01

Back to top Go down

climbing rose Nahema and a Clematis  Empty Re: climbing rose Nahema and a Clematis

Post by maree 24th January 2014, 17:35

Betsy , i would say it has a light sweet scent , but mine are very young plants , so next year will probably be better ....  Pierre de Ronstaad probably a easier rose to train but absolutely no scent , such a shame ,  the frame is just reo , my husband made into a arch and we put a pathway in between ..
maree
maree

Back to top Go down

Post by betsyw 24th January 2014, 18:12

I think I will pass on Nahema, then. Hangin' out for that climbing Kathleen now Smile)))))

When do we normally start our SERIOUS shopping lists for June on this board? I forget stuff if i start too early.
betsyw
betsyw

Back to top Go down

Post by maree 24th January 2014, 18:38

Got mine worked out already Betsy lol !!
maree
maree

Back to top Go down

Post by betsyw 24th January 2014, 18:50

Insufficient information, maree Exclamation 
betsyw
betsyw

Back to top Go down

Post by jordan71 24th January 2014, 18:53

Maree your nahema will smell much stronger once its establish and few years older , I love mine , then I love all roses , no comments betsy please LOL
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
jordan71
jordan71

Number of posts : 1699
Registration date : 2012-03-02

Back to top Go down

Post by silkyfizz 24th January 2014, 19:07

Maree your planting looks fantastic. Nahema will look sensational against that colour. And the fragrance will be a knockout passing under that arch. I can vouch for its very strong fragrance, having smelled a very long established plant at a rose nursery nearby. The only reason I didn't get it and opted instead for Pierre last year was because I was a bit nervous at the training part, being totally inexperienced with climbers.
Jordan your Nahema flowers are jaw droppingly beautiful.
silkyfizz
silkyfizz

Number of posts : 1621
Registration date : 2012-07-21

Back to top Go down

Post by jordan71 24th January 2014, 19:14

thanks silky Smile
jordan71
jordan71

Number of posts : 1699
Registration date : 2012-03-02

Back to top Go down

Post by silkyfizz 24th January 2014, 19:23

Jordan can you tell me where you got your support/arch thing?
silkyfizz
silkyfizz

Back to top Go down

Post by maree 24th January 2014, 19:31

OMG !! Jordan your Nahema looks amazing , mine is in the full sun , so copped it full blast from that ghastly , ghastly weather .   Silky the clematis is a very dark purple , so should be a good contrast .     Betsy i'm supposed to be doing the ghastly ironing , but here we go , my list is Gruss an Aachen ,  Amazing Grace , Fionas Wish , Cote d Azur , Chartreusse de Parme ( AGAIN ) Neptune standard .. climbing rose Nahema and a Clematis  988953566
maree
maree

Back to top Go down

Post by silkyfizz 24th January 2014, 19:34

Maree you've got the right idea - ditch the ironing and let your mind wander amidst the roses. I always knew you were a kindred spirit.
silkyfizz
silkyfizz

Back to top Go down

Post by maree 24th January 2014, 19:38

Lol ha ha Silky , got the ironing looking at me , the iron steeming away , the cat snoring on the back of the chair and rose books scattered about everywhere lol !! Yes i think we are kindred spirits Silky ...
maree
maree

Back to top Go down

Post by betsyw 24th January 2014, 20:42

Ironing. Making beds. Oh please. To borrow Joan Rivers's quip: What's the point in making beds when three months later you have to make them all over again? lol

The Kentucky Derby is not a run for the steam iron, it is a run for the roses. Go for the glory! Nobody's ever going to say "What divine ironing!"
betsyw
betsyw

Back to top Go down

Post by maree 24th January 2014, 20:46

Joan Rivers, she is such a amazingly funny person , i love her !!
maree
maree

Back to top Go down

Post by muscovyduckling 25th January 2014, 10:30

Hah ironing is something I just can't bring myself to do. I am so very jealous of your Nahema's! Can't wait til I have a spot for one. Maree please keep us updated with the progress (pics!).

Seriously though, regarding 2014 ordering lists... I need some serious help with mine from all you old hats. My list is about as long as my arm and I need to cull cull cull. But I can't bring myself to do it. Hah. When can we start talking about it?
muscovyduckling
muscovyduckling

Number of posts : 771
Registration date : 2013-10-29

Back to top Go down

Post by maree 25th January 2014, 12:12

Better start a new topic Muscovy , cause now seems as good as time as any !!
maree
maree

Back to top Go down

Post by muscovyduckling 25th January 2014, 19:28

Lol, will do!
muscovyduckling
muscovyduckling

Number of posts : 771
Registration date : 2013-10-29

Back to top Go down

Post by paulh 26th January 2014, 23:18

Maree, I have had my Nahema for 9 months, it was a slow grower initially, but soon found its feet, I must say the blooms are awesome, it has an intense fragrance and the blooms last a fare while. Overall I am happy with Nahema, the only issues I have is (1) the canes are quite stiff, so I haven't been able to train it they I wanted. (2) The foliage shape isn't as nice with its tendency to curl. Anyways here's a couple of photos
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
paulh
paulh

Number of posts : 1065
Registration date : 2012-09-11

http://livingwithroses.weebly.com

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lazy Rosarian 27th January 2014, 07:19

Paul in the first shot, is the wire where you want to train it ? if so the canes will give a bit, if they don't, wait till it is pruning time and cut it back to below the wires and as it shoots in Spring start the training process then as they will be more supple.
The Lazy Rosarian
The Lazy Rosarian

Number of posts : 5191
Registration date : 2009-01-11

Back to top Go down

Post by maree 27th January 2014, 19:47

Thanks Paul , my two Nahema's in their first year have been exposed to brutal heat here in Victoria , and they are surviving quite well except for some sunburnt canes , i'm just wondering do you just leave those canes , cause you don't prune climbers for 2-3 years i think ... is that right Roseman ?
maree
maree

Back to top Go down

Post by paulh 27th January 2014, 23:35

roseman wrote:Paul in the first shot, is the wire where you want to train it ? if so the canes will give a bit, if they don't, wait till it is pruning time and cut it back to below the wires and as it shoots in Spring start the training process then as they will be more supple.

Thanks roseman, that was the plan, I did at one stage have some canes going along the wire, but they had to be forced to tie them down, it seems even the thinner canes are not supple. Nothing of any great substance would shoot out, but when I moved it a little way from the fence the plant took off. I do take your points though, and will at pruning cut it back, not a good move for climbers a guess, I am going to move it next to a post at the house side and grow it as a pillar climber, keep its height to under the eaves size.
paulh
paulh

Back to top Go down

Post by paulh 27th January 2014, 23:41

maree wrote:Thanks Paul , my two Nahema's in their first year have been exposed to brutal heat here in Victoria , and they are surviving quite well except for some sunburnt canes , i'm just wondering do you just leave those canes , cause you don't prune climbers for 2-3 years i think ... is that right Roseman ?

Thanks maree, imo, as a general rule, as I understand it you don/t cut back climbers, you only do maintenance work on them, cutting out dead canes etc, but I guess if you have no choice to cut them back, you just have to do it and hope they don't punish you for it. My nahema has had to cope with Perths continuing extreme heat as well, like your it has stood up pretty well.
paulh
paulh

Back to top Go down

Post by maree 28th January 2014, 18:52

Thanks Paul , i'm finding my Nahema isn't too hard to train , but then i do have it going over a arch .  Pierre de Ronstaad was definately a easier rose to train , but definately no fragrance ...
maree
maree

Back to top Go down

Post by silkyfizz 28th January 2014, 22:34

Those two would look nice growing together I think. Both beautiful flowers and Nahema's fragrance would disguise Pierre's lack in that department.
silkyfizz
silkyfizz

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next