Rose Talk Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Watch This Space, more info coming.
by The Lazy Rosarian 21st September 2018, 06:25

» A Rose by any other name ...
by The Lazy Rosarian 17th September 2018, 19:26

» Looking for "St Brigid's Rose"
by The Lazy Rosarian 11th August 2018, 06:50

» And for David while he is away.
by neptune 19th July 2018, 23:57

» Wanting to talk with old roserian friends again, and new roserians friends too !
by rosemeadowtasmania 14th July 2018, 22:54

» Premature Petal dropping- Perth
by rosemeadowtasmania 5th July 2018, 15:27

» Vale: Meryl Constance
by rosemeadowtasmania 5th July 2018, 13:55

» Newbie to roses and forums for that matter!
by Steph 28th June 2018, 09:39

The Delbards - any good for cutting?

5 posters

Go down

The Delbards - any good for cutting? Empty The Delbards - any good for cutting?

Post by betsyw 8th November 2013, 19:04

Thought I might collect one or two of the 'Painters' from Bunnings, which is now a major Delbard stockist (go figure), but I do need something that won't blow in teh vase after a day.

All opinions and additional info most gratefully appreciated
betsyw
betsyw

Number of posts : 1340
Registration date : 2012-05-01

Back to top Go down

The Delbards - any good for cutting? Empty Re: The Delbards - any good for cutting?

Post by silkyfizz 8th November 2013, 20:18

Can't help with the Painters series but I know I want Henri Matisse! While not in that series, Red Intuition started off as a florist rose and has great lasting qualities. Little perfume so I know it's probably not for you Betsy. Incidentally, The old fellow at Paradise Roses told me they had to chuck all their stock of Red Intuition because it just reverted to plain red instead of its red on red stripes. He asked if mine has come true. So far so good, knock on wood.
silkyfizz
silkyfizz

Number of posts : 1621
Registration date : 2012-07-21

Back to top Go down

The Delbards - any good for cutting? Empty Re: The Delbards - any good for cutting?

Post by betsyw 9th November 2013, 06:08

Yes, Henri was at the top of the Delbard list, subject to the ratings it gets here. That, and Grimaldi I thought would look good together, maybe even a third Delbard. All for the vase, in my case.

Now, that is indeed funny-haha and funny-peculiar about Red Intuition. A few years ago, someone over at USA gardenweb reported that another striped Delbard had reverted on her. I am curious to see if Red Intuition begins to go solid for others, too. Gawd, I hope not - those self-stripes are so smart-looking, a real point of sale differentiation. . Too bad about the scent, though.
betsyw
betsyw

Back to top Go down

Post by jordan71 9th November 2013, 07:08

most of delbards if not all in the painters collection lack scent , the only one I can detect a bit is henri
jordan71
jordan71

Number of posts : 1699
Registration date : 2012-03-02

Back to top Go down

Post by betsyw 9th November 2013, 07:34

True, Dan, and that flaw would normally make me walk past them. My thinking here was that they look so "carnivale', so unusual and exuberant that people will not really expect scent. Also am hoping that Henri will have enough to be pleasing if anyone sticks their nose in a bouquet.
betsyw
betsyw

Back to top Go down

Post by jordan71 9th November 2013, 08:17

henri is beautiful rose Betsy, i'm not a huge fan of painted roses , but it is beautiful when in full bloom . gave my mum few blooms last year for her vase , she said they lasted quite a while , so maybe henri is good for what you want Betsy Smile
jordan71
jordan71

Number of posts : 1699
Registration date : 2012-03-02

Back to top Go down

Post by maree 9th November 2013, 09:15

Betsy to me Henri does have scent , its not overpowering but it is there , a faint sweet smell when you stick your nose in it , its not one i usually pick being a floribunda type rose , but maybe i should, blooms  seem to last on the bush fairly well , its a great streetscape rose for me , like Blackberry Nip , thats a good streetscape rose .  Grimaldi i did have , i didn't like it , no fragrance and blooms for me didn't last , definate floribunda too , but thats just my thoughts , my mum has had Red Intuition for years and it has kept it stripes . Chartreusse de Parme great picking rose , great fragrance , not a great bush , good to grow just for the fragrance alone ....
maree
maree

Number of posts : 1733
Registration date : 2012-05-25

Back to top Go down

Post by betsyw 9th November 2013, 10:46

Grimaldi doesn't last? Grtimaldi is off the list.

CdeP has gotten such a low rating around these parts, I haven't purtsued it. Wanted a wild and colourful thing(s), too, just for a change, Thanks, maree, for the Grimaldi tip!
betsyw
betsyw

Back to top Go down

Post by dannyboy 10th November 2013, 02:29

France Libre is a great Delbard colour is stunning.

dannyboy

Number of posts : 472
Registration date : 2012-06-04

Back to top Go down

Post by betsyw 10th November 2013, 07:39

That is great to know. Thanks, Danny
betsyw
betsyw

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down