Rose Talk Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Watch This Space, more info coming.
by The Lazy Rosarian 21st September 2018, 06:25

» A Rose by any other name ...
by The Lazy Rosarian 17th September 2018, 19:26

» Looking for "St Brigid's Rose"
by The Lazy Rosarian 11th August 2018, 06:50

» And for David while he is away.
by neptune 19th July 2018, 23:57

» Wanting to talk with old roserian friends again, and new roserians friends too !
by rosemeadowtasmania 14th July 2018, 22:54

» Premature Petal dropping- Perth
by rosemeadowtasmania 5th July 2018, 15:27

» Vale: Meryl Constance
by rosemeadowtasmania 5th July 2018, 13:55

» Newbie to roses and forums for that matter!
by Steph 28th June 2018, 09:39

Duchesse de Brabant

3 posters

Go down

Duchesse de Brabant Empty Duchesse de Brabant

Post by bri-cal 2nd June 2013, 13:52

Would anyone here know if there are different/better forms circulating. We seem to have 2 -one has a better form to the bloom and seems to be more floriferous .

bri-cal

Number of posts : 33
Registration date : 2010-09-14

Back to top Go down

Duchesse de Brabant Empty Re: Duchesse de Brabant

Post by The Lazy Rosarian 2nd June 2013, 15:16

Question time.
Were they bought from the same place.
Are they grafted.
Planting location/soil
The Lazy Rosarian
The Lazy Rosarian

Number of posts : 5191
Registration date : 2009-01-11

Back to top Go down

Post by bri-cal 2nd June 2013, 15:24

One came from the sunshine coast in qld - had it for years -the other from a nursery here in qld both on own roots,both in good soil etc

bri-cal

Back to top Go down

Post by bri-cal 2nd June 2013, 15:58

Sorry,I forgot to mention that both plants are only a couple of years old -I took the first one as an air layer from a bush which was purchased from the sunshine coast years ago. Both are growing in a new garden under good growing conditions -not my garden. I don't have any pictures to share as yet.

bri-cal

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lazy Rosarian 2nd June 2013, 17:13

So the plants you have are from two different plants, this could be part of the reason
The Lazy Rosarian
The Lazy Rosarian

Number of posts : 5191
Registration date : 2009-01-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Balinbear 2nd June 2013, 17:39

We probably have about 70 of these in our garden (I kid you not) as, apart from the white mites (scale), they would have to be the best rose to grow up here.

I think we purchased 2 of them from a shop (not even a nursery) at Montville as they had adopted it as their own and labelled then as The Montville Rose (I guess as the there was no growers registration on it). The rest have been grown from cuttings. It generally strikes like a wharfie and flowers virtually continuously.
We even had one growing in clay beside a large Blue Quondong tree. We decided to pull the tree out as it as getting too big and it was near the house so we dug the rose out in a big lump of clay and shifted it over out of the sun under another tree (it was the middle of summer) and promptly forgot about it. A few weeks later I found it, cut it back, hosed off the clay and replanted it. It is still growing and was cut right back again last year and re grew no worries. It is one of the tea roses that don't mind a good haircut.

Then there is the perfume. When ours are in flower the lady on the farm next door can smell them from her house a hundred metres or so up the hill.

We've given away so many over the years that I hope you did not get the bad one from us. Every now and again we get a dodgy plant (not restricted to this variety though due to the higher numbers that we have done it has shown up more often. Even though it has plenty of roots and has started off growing well for some reason it just does not grow as well as the rest. We usually just toss it way as we usually have plenty to replace it with. Funny thing is we have not grown any for a couple of years and probably don't have any in pots at present. I must remember to do some as they are great ones to give away to people visiting the garden.

Anyway it is a great rose for Queensland and should be renamed "QUEENSLANDER!!!!!!!!"

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Balinbear
Balinbear

Number of posts : 1459
Registration date : 2010-01-30

Back to top Go down

Post by bri-cal 2nd June 2013, 18:11

Yes two different plants. The nursery bought one has an overall better flower form -appears to have more petals and holds its shape well. Don't get me wrong the other is still very lovely,just there appears to be a visible difference.
I will take pictures when I visit next.

I agree with you Balinbear,it is a beautiful fragrant rose well suited to Queensland. Yours are looking beautiful. My couple are still doing well also.

bri-cal

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down