Rose Talk Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Watch This Space, more info coming.
by The Lazy Rosarian 21st September 2018, 06:25

» A Rose by any other name ...
by The Lazy Rosarian 17th September 2018, 19:26

» Looking for "St Brigid's Rose"
by The Lazy Rosarian 11th August 2018, 06:50

» And for David while he is away.
by neptune 19th July 2018, 23:57

» Wanting to talk with old roserian friends again, and new roserians friends too !
by rosemeadowtasmania 14th July 2018, 22:54

» Premature Petal dropping- Perth
by rosemeadowtasmania 5th July 2018, 15:27

» Vale: Meryl Constance
by rosemeadowtasmania 5th July 2018, 13:55

» Newbie to roses and forums for that matter!
by Steph 28th June 2018, 09:39

Few Roses In The Heat

+3
maree
The Lazy Rosarian
jordan71
7 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Few Roses In The Heat  - Page 2 Empty Re: Few Roses In The Heat

Post by AutumnDamask 13th March 2013, 06:39

Nope...
AutumnDamask
AutumnDamask

Number of posts : 1360
Registration date : 2011-06-08

Back to top Go down

Post by silkyfizz 13th March 2013, 11:27

Yep, unfortunately.
silkyfizz
silkyfizz

Number of posts : 1621
Registration date : 2012-07-21

Back to top Go down

Post by betsyw 13th March 2013, 14:09

Okay, I have to confess, too...
betsyw
betsyw

Number of posts : 1340
Registration date : 2012-05-01

Back to top Go down

Post by silkyfizz 13th March 2013, 17:18

Why do you ask Jordan? I know smoking impairs taste to some extent, but sniffing roses? I find some roses renowned for lack of scent actually have a sweet, but not strong, fragrance. Case in point Kardinal early morning blooms have a moderate perfume, even Red Intuition has a soft fragrance when buds are opening up, although nothing much later and you really have to stick your nose up close. Just Joey on the other hand, is said to be well perfumed but I can't detect much at all with mine. I'd like a myrrh perfumed rose, just for the novelty value. Any suggestions anyone?
silkyfizz
silkyfizz

Back to top Go down

Post by betsyw 13th March 2013, 17:40

For myrrh, I think Tamora is the strongest of the repeaters. For classic DA myrrh, the once bloomer Constance Spry (Steve Jobs's favourite rose, so it is said, based on the CS hedge at Pixar)
betsyw
betsyw

Back to top Go down

Post by silkyfizz 13th March 2013, 18:18

Hmm, Tamora might go well with Abraham Darby I'm thinking. It's small isn't it. Constance Spry too big for me and once blooming only.
silkyfizz
silkyfizz

Back to top Go down

Post by betsyw 13th March 2013, 18:24

Tamora is indeed small. Whether you want to to invest time, space and money in her is another matter. I liked her very much when I had her. That said, I've moved on, and Tam isn't part of the bandwagon. DAs aren't my thing in general, but Tam was a seriously sweet thing. Strong frag too! You can def try this one in a pot.
betsyw
betsyw

Back to top Go down

Post by jordan71 13th March 2013, 19:10

silkyfizz wrote:Why do you ask Jordan? I know smoking impairs taste to some extent, but sniffing roses? I find some roses renowned for lack of scent actually have a sweet, but not strong, fragrance. Case in point Kardinal early morning blooms have a moderate perfume, even Red Intuition has a soft fragrance when buds are opening up, although nothing much later and you really have to stick your nose up close. Just Joey on the other hand, is said to be well perfumed but I can't detect much at all with mine. I'd like a myrrh perfumed rose, just for the novelty value. Any suggestions anyone?

i asked cause i am a smoker .. i have my mum and sis come over and point at roses that smell so great and i cant smell them lol
jordan71
jordan71

Number of posts : 1699
Registration date : 2012-03-02

Back to top Go down

Post by betsyw 13th March 2013, 19:12

Not so much smoking, but genetic factors. Also gender
betsyw
betsyw

Back to top Go down

Post by maree 13th March 2013, 21:24

Smoke good heavens no , gave that up 30 years ago , now the smell of cigarette smoke makes me feel ill , honestly , chocolate how about chocolate , thats my vice . Silky i had a pink Delbard that had a anise myrhh fragrance , it was Sister Emanuel , the blooms were really nice too , only problem it was the stingiest bloomer out , i got so frustrated waiting for it to produce some blooms that i yanked it out one day , i think that spot is cursed , i've had three roses in that spot i haven't been happy with lol !!!!
maree
maree

Number of posts : 1733
Registration date : 2012-05-25

Back to top Go down

Post by silkyfizz 13th March 2013, 22:04

Maree I must tell you how happy I am with Jubilee Celebration, which I got due to your recommendations, among others here. What a beauty it is. Still in its little black pot, it has produced quite a few beautiful flowers already. I love its delicate foliage and its rich pink flowers. Medium pleasant scent at this stage. Sitting beside Pierre de Ronsard at present, both in flower and what a pairing they make. They will be next door neighbours and I will love them both. So thank you for singing JC's praises and leading me to her.
Now you can have a choccie! Lol
silkyfizz
silkyfizz

Back to top Go down

Post by maree 13th March 2013, 22:49

Fantastic Silky , where have you got her ,in full sun or part shade ? i'm planting another this year , but it will have to go in full sun , never mind , the blooms might be a lighter pink in the summer , but thats okay , its a very good bloomer too , good for floating the blooms in a glass bowl too .. the scent is about right too as you describe, not light , not heavy , just enough to say to yourself , yes i like this rose , its a winner ...
maree
maree

Number of posts : 1733
Registration date : 2012-05-25

Back to top Go down

Post by silkyfizz 14th March 2013, 11:42

Well at the moment JC is in pretty much in full sun, except I moved her into some shade in the hottest part of afternoon sun on those stinking hot days. Her place in the garden will have about the same amount of sun. Despite the full sun, her flowers are rich pink tending towards salmon hue, full petalled and quite large for a small plant still in its original pot. She seems quite a happy girl as long as she gets her water, as she droops when I don't keep the water up. (I water pots thoroughly daily, sometimes twice).
silkyfizz
silkyfizz

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2