Rose Talk Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Watch This Space, more info coming.
by The Lazy Rosarian 21st September 2018, 06:25

» A Rose by any other name ...
by The Lazy Rosarian 17th September 2018, 19:26

» Looking for "St Brigid's Rose"
by The Lazy Rosarian 11th August 2018, 06:50

» And for David while he is away.
by neptune 19th July 2018, 23:57

» Wanting to talk with old roserian friends again, and new roserians friends too !
by rosemeadowtasmania 14th July 2018, 22:54

» Premature Petal dropping- Perth
by rosemeadowtasmania 5th July 2018, 15:27

» Vale: Meryl Constance
by rosemeadowtasmania 5th July 2018, 13:55

» Newbie to roses and forums for that matter!
by Steph 28th June 2018, 09:39

PRINCE CAMILLE DE ROHAN- ROGER LAMBELIN- JENNY DUVAL- JOHN HOPPER-HONOR- LOLITA- MME ISSAC PRERRIE-GOLD BUNNY- THE DARK LADY-POTTER AND MORE

+5
dannyboy
silkyfizz
AutumnDamask
betsyw
jordan71
9 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

PRINCE CAMILLE DE ROHAN- ROGER LAMBELIN- JENNY DUVAL- JOHN HOPPER-HONOR- LOLITA- MME ISSAC PRERRIE-GOLD BUNNY- THE DARK LADY-POTTER AND MORE   - Page 2 Empty Re: PRINCE CAMILLE DE ROHAN- ROGER LAMBELIN- JENNY DUVAL- JOHN HOPPER-HONOR- LOLITA- MME ISSAC PRERRIE-GOLD BUNNY- THE DARK LADY-POTTER AND MORE

Post by jordan71 20th November 2012, 20:32

Smile
jordan71
jordan71

Number of posts : 1699
Registration date : 2012-03-02

Back to top Go down

PRINCE CAMILLE DE ROHAN- ROGER LAMBELIN- JENNY DUVAL- JOHN HOPPER-HONOR- LOLITA- MME ISSAC PRERRIE-GOLD BUNNY- THE DARK LADY-POTTER AND MORE   - Page 2 Empty Re: PRINCE CAMILLE DE ROHAN- ROGER LAMBELIN- JENNY DUVAL- JOHN HOPPER-HONOR- LOLITA- MME ISSAC PRERRIE-GOLD BUNNY- THE DARK LADY-POTTER AND MORE

Post by maree 20th November 2012, 21:15

Thanks everyone , i'm really not one for spraying roses , except for Seasol , and definately not chemicals , so maybe i might have to give MIP a miss , thanks again ...
maree
maree

Number of posts : 1733
Registration date : 2012-05-25

Back to top Go down

Post by maree 23rd November 2012, 09:57

Mmmnn just starting to think today , since i have been regularly foliar spraying the leaves of my roses with seasol , the BS has improved , so maybe i will try MIP , and try this regime on her ......
maree
maree

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozeboy 25th November 2012, 10:38

Maree, I don't like to kill your fun but be aware that nearly all HT roses have to be looked after exceptionally well with some spraying to keep them looking at their best. Modern English roses also fall into this category. If they take your fancy buy them but be aware they are high maintainence. Exhibition HT roses are for the experts but it's no coincidence the majority of shows are on in Spring before the fungus diseases start to take hold.

I'm a lazy gardener so am very particular all roses here will perform well with neglect. David (Roseman's) pet HT is Camp David and at the moment all it's growth is starting to twist due to mildew. By mid January it will probably drop all it's Blackspot leaves looking like mid winter.
But I won't pick up all the fungus infected leaves as recomended or resort to spraying for I know the Spring and Autumn blooms will be great.

Exhibition people get great satisfaction from beating the odds and having a better rose than their opposition. One has to admire the work and knowledge that goes into benching perfect exhibits.
If you do buy these roses would suggest checking Help me Find to check each roses health statis. Only buy the ones that are listed as "Very Disease Resistant" and not listed as suffering Rust, mildew or blackspot.
Being shade tolerant is a good guide as to their health.

The breeders (Myself included) have a lot of work to do regarding health. What's healthy west of the Blue Mountains can be not worth growing in the east. Until a trial garden be set up within 20 klm of the coast in NSW I can't see any great progress being made.

Ozeboy

Number of posts : 1673
Registration date : 2008-12-28

Back to top Go down

Post by maree 25th November 2012, 11:20

Thanks Ozeboy , i'll do the checks you recommend and hope for the best , i realise that to get a fragrant , disease free rose is a bit tricky , but thats what i grow them for , primarily fragrance , i just can't see the point of a rose with no fragrance , might as well grow a camellia , thinks me . I'm not so concerned about how long they last in a vase , i'm shut up in a building four days a week , so i like to get outside in my free time and smell the roses on the bushes and admire them there. . Theres always that dilemma, the roses i like for fragrance ,and the not so good health of the plant , hope you strike it rich one day with the perfect plant Ozeboy !!!
maree
maree

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozeboy 25th November 2012, 12:09

Maree, try some of the Tea, China and Noisette roses. Pick the ones closest to your needs. I would buy a 'Devonensis' Bush Tea Rose, definately not the climber, and start there. They are slow growers, not house eaters and have a fragrance to die for.

Pick a spot where there hasn't been any Glysophate spray for at least 6 months. Buy a bag of Lucerne Chaff and bagged cow manure.
Mix 1 part lucerne chaff to 2 parts old cow manure and this to 5 parts your soil. Put a 2" layer of lucerne in the bottom of the hole together with half a handful of Seamungus and plant your rose end of May. Do not fertilise for 3 months after planting then use Seamungus and Sudden Impact for Roses half quantity in Spring. Then full quantity before Christmas, then again in Autumn. Deep water twice a week, spraying won't be necessary.

Ozeboy

Back to top Go down

Post by maree 25th November 2012, 15:37

I have a spot where i could put one of those , a rose i planted there isn't doing any good , my fault , i planted it too deep , come winter will try one . Do you know Aloha ? I'm looking for a fragrant , long flowering perfumed healthy tea, china , or noisette climbing rose , actually two of them , but not too big ...
maree
maree

Back to top Go down

Post by silkyfizz 26th November 2012, 19:14

Ozeboy, I found your advice for preparing before planting helpful, especially the use of seamungus and lucerne in the hole for the rose to grow in. I have a Pierre de Ronsard rose I was about to plant out, but your comments have led me to think twice. Should I leave it in its pot and plant out in autumn rather than plant now and nurse it through summer's heat? I'd appreciate your opinion and that of others who might have opinions. Thanks.
silkyfizz
silkyfizz

Number of posts : 1621
Registration date : 2012-07-21

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozeboy 26th November 2012, 19:41

Potted roses can be planted anytime but end of Autumn gives the new plant time to consolidate well before the next lot of extremely warm next summer. If you already have the potted rose then move it to a spot away from midday summer heat. You could plant it in the ground now but be sure to not let it dry out and check it regularly. Every thing is possible but I do like late Autumn or early winter planting.

Maree I have never grown Aloah. Regarding your wanting a climber with plenty of fragrance. Some of the Clg Tea's probably won't have the fragrance you are looking for. However, Lorraine Lee Clg can be a little large for small gardens but the fragrance is brilliant. If this is too large then try Don Juan a climbing HT very suitable for smaller suburban. It will satisfy your need for plenty of fragrance.

Ozeboy

Back to top Go down

Post by maree 26th November 2012, 21:11

Ozeboy , had a look on helpmefind , Don Juan looks gorgeous , could be too big though , my archs about a metre wide by about five metres long , could it be trimmed to size ? How about Blush Noisette ? thanks
maree
maree

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozeboy 27th November 2012, 07:50

Maree, I don't think it will become a monster. All the ones I see growing in this district are very suitable for small suburban gardens. Don Juan doesn't mind a trim where as Tea's China's and Noisettes have to be pruned very slowly as they don't totally go dormant like others.

The blooms on DJ are best viewed from above so it's very suitable for planting below a high balcony. My two are viewed from ground level and I am constantly sniffing the blooms. It would appear I am not very sensative to fragrance but DJ is one I find very strong. I sent one to a friend in Tassie and have had many comments of approval, health included.

Ozeboy

Back to top Go down

Post by betsyw 27th November 2012, 08:27

Ozeboy wrote:The blooms on DJ are best viewed from above so it's very suitable for planting below a high balcony. My two are viewed from ground level and I am constantly sniffing the blooms...

And that's just one of the reasons I love the noisettes as climbers - they don't nod and loll weakly like some DAs, but they do look down a bit, and often they look sideways; as they grow higher, one is still always looking into the faces of these big beautiful blooms. There are some smaller noisette-teas, but even the robust Mme Al Carriere isn't a crazy house-eater like, say, New Dawn. I've never had an issue of space-hogging with noisies, and I've grown them in some terrace-house gardens. Very fragrant, too, and healthy. Only downside is colour choice - it's white, pink or yellow, that's it.
betsyw
betsyw

Number of posts : 1340
Registration date : 2012-05-01

Back to top Go down

Post by maree 27th November 2012, 11:39

Thanks everyone , sounds good !!!
maree
maree

Back to top Go down

Post by maree 27th November 2012, 17:36

Oh Ozeboy , forgot to ask , do you have Don Juan and what about Blush Noisette for the other arbour , any good and can i buy these from you ?
maree
maree

Back to top Go down

Post by jordan71 27th November 2012, 18:02

maree why dont you try nahema? its a delbard climbing rose with a beautifull scent
jordan71
jordan71

Back to top Go down

Post by maree 27th November 2012, 19:13

Thanks , i'll look it up Jordan ...
maree
maree

Back to top Go down

Post by maree 27th November 2012, 20:37

Jordan, Nahemma , looks great , thanks , do you know Aloha ? Ozeboy , your recipe for planting looks great , does that apply to all roses ?
maree
maree

Back to top Go down

Post by jordan71 28th November 2012, 06:25

maree, i dont have aloha . but i believe it is a great rose.. thats on my list when i buy my own place
jordan71
jordan71

Back to top Go down

Post by maree 28th November 2012, 07:09

I have the Ross Roses catalogue , they describe it as ( sustained display of large double blooms , fragrant , small climber ) sounds good ... Jordan , are you looking at buying , i'm guessing you'll need something with some land ...
maree
maree

Back to top Go down

Post by jordan71 28th November 2012, 07:14

not looking at this stage maree, cant afford it lol
i like aloha .. david austin has used it to breed with

jordan71
jordan71

Back to top Go down

Post by maree 28th November 2012, 08:46

Oh , okay Jordan , good, add that to the list lol !!!
maree
maree

Back to top Go down

Post by jordan71 28th November 2012, 13:17

lol i bet ur list is huge maree roflmao
jordan71
jordan71

Back to top Go down

Post by maree 28th November 2012, 14:26

Lol, yep , i'm going to have to make some hard decisions here Jordan lol !!!!
maree
maree

Back to top Go down

Post by jordan71 28th November 2012, 15:24

lol i'm sure you will pick the right ones maree
jordan71
jordan71

Back to top Go down

Post by silkyfizz 28th November 2012, 22:56

maree have you considered crepescule? I love mine and it doesn't get too big, takes well to shaping and pruning. Flowers in apricot tones.
silkyfizz
silkyfizz

Number of posts : 1621
Registration date : 2012-07-21

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next