Rose Talk Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Watch This Space, more info coming.
by The Lazy Rosarian 21st September 2018, 06:25

» A Rose by any other name ...
by The Lazy Rosarian 17th September 2018, 19:26

» Looking for "St Brigid's Rose"
by The Lazy Rosarian 11th August 2018, 06:50

» And for David while he is away.
by neptune 19th July 2018, 23:57

» Wanting to talk with old roserian friends again, and new roserians friends too !
by rosemeadowtasmania 14th July 2018, 22:54

» Premature Petal dropping- Perth
by rosemeadowtasmania 5th July 2018, 15:27

» Vale: Meryl Constance
by rosemeadowtasmania 5th July 2018, 13:55

» Newbie to roses and forums for that matter!
by Steph 28th June 2018, 09:39

Aoteroa rose

+6
Ozeboy
The Lazy Rosarian
paulh
Jac2
silkyfizz
maree
10 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Aoteroa rose  Empty Aoteroa rose

Post by maree 3rd November 2012, 19:11

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

maree
maree

Number of posts : 1733
Registration date : 2012-05-25

Back to top Go down

Aoteroa rose  Empty Re: Aoteroa rose

Post by silkyfizz 3rd November 2012, 19:43

Just beautiful Maree. Look at all those buds and such healthy foliage.
silkyfizz
silkyfizz

Number of posts : 1621
Registration date : 2012-07-21

Back to top Go down

Post by maree 3rd November 2012, 19:51

Thanks Silky , had such a awful time posting them , i wanted to post three photos and it kept posting the same photo three times , had to resort to getting Patrick to do it again , oh dear , computers ...... Funny thing with Aoteroa , when i pruned this year , i didn't get any new basal shoots , have you had this happen ?
maree
maree

Back to top Go down

Post by silkyfizz 3rd November 2012, 19:56

Yes I have, but it doesn't bother me much. Especially with such healthy growth as yours has.
silkyfizz
silkyfizz

Number of posts : 1621
Registration date : 2012-07-21

Back to top Go down

Post by maree 3rd November 2012, 19:59

Thanks Silky ......
maree
maree

Back to top Go down

Post by Jac2 3rd November 2012, 23:40

Just by looking at the pictures next to your avatar, I can see what your favorite colour might be. And what a beautiful colour it is, also on HMF, a bit icy – very fresh. Sometimes the basal shoot will come later, with the rain, here in QLD anyway.
I made a folder on my desktop and when I drag the photos into it from my library, I just rename them 1, 2, 3, etc., so that I don’t get them mixed up.
Jac2
Jac2

Number of posts : 524
Registration date : 2012-06-29

Back to top Go down

Post by paulh 3rd November 2012, 23:57

wow, how healthy is this plant Aoteroa rose  1303145595 maree you must be doing something right
paulh
paulh

Number of posts : 1065
Registration date : 2012-09-11

http://livingwithroses.weebly.com

Back to top Go down

Post by maree 4th November 2012, 08:10

Thanks Paul , Jac , i think its all the rain we have had this year , you should see my mums roses , they are huge , and they face north , they are in the perfect position , mine are not in the perfect position but do okay . Jac i think the host was playing up again , cause Patrick had a go and the same thing happened , he used a different host and got them up okay ..... Jac i have always been a pink , red , white , mauve person but after seeing the beautiful yellows and oranges on this page i'm going to have a go next year . I have spent hours looking for a good ones , but as i need standards , most don't come in standards. I have a standard rose garden and bush ones at the front of the house . Have come up with Fragrant Cloud , Valencia and Happy Child , two of Betsys favourites , they have to be fragrant and a standard not easy . Love Summmer Song but it doesn't come in a standard ......
maree
maree

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lazy Rosarian 4th November 2012, 08:49

Maree, some nurseries will custom bud if asked. There was a nursery over in W.A. that only grew standards, I think they might be de-funked now, Neptune might know.
The Lazy Rosarian
The Lazy Rosarian

Number of posts : 5191
Registration date : 2009-01-11

Back to top Go down

Post by maree 4th November 2012, 09:09

Oh Okay , thanks Roseman , will give some local nurserys a ring , thats a good idea .....
maree
maree

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozeboy 4th November 2012, 12:10

It's nearly out of patent but I wouldn't propagate it in fairness to the breeder (McGredy) I'm still on the breeder side when it comes to reward for all their work and staying within the law.

Don't know how having it propagated by someone else is acceptable but the law is you can propagate it for your own use having bought one.
I understand the law is that no one can distribute or sell patented rose material so the person doing the budding has to do it for free or can be fined.

Ozeboy

Number of posts : 1673
Registration date : 2008-12-28

Back to top Go down

Post by betsyw 4th November 2012, 16:35

Aoteroa rose  2265117438 Those Aos are drop-dead gorgeous. One of my all-time favourite A-List fragrances, too. May I come sleep in your front yard? Thx.

Re the standards: I think that Fragrant Cloud has the right shape and habit for a standard graft - bewdiful! Valencia, on the other hand, grows tall and upright. I think she would be as awkward as Olive Oyl on a graft. Those blooms can come off of four ft stems, too. Super for cutting, not so great as sticks perched on top of a stick.
betsyw
betsyw

Number of posts : 1340
Registration date : 2012-05-01

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lazy Rosarian 4th November 2012, 17:29

At present there are different heidhts for standards
The Lazy Rosarian
The Lazy Rosarian

Back to top Go down

Post by maree 4th November 2012, 17:34

Okay Betsy , thanks , what about Freisia and Jardin de Bagatelle as standards . Thanks Ozeboy, i'll just keep looking .... What sort of roses do you have Ozeboy , apart from the ones you are breeding ? I tried looking up Glenorie Roses but it just gives you a address , Thanks .....
maree
maree

Back to top Go down

Post by betsyw 4th November 2012, 17:42

Fresia is a perfect rose for a standard, IMO. Actually, it's not too hard to find it as a standard, as I recall, because it does lend itself to that treatment so well. Constantly blooming, great bright yellow, fragrant (ish), rounded and compact.

Jardins de Bagatelle would also conform to a standard beautiful - again IMO. She's compact, too, and blooms beautifully(nice progression from bud toi full bloom, too, every stage is lovely) and the fragrance is just wonderous.
betsyw
betsyw

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lazy Rosarian 4th November 2012, 17:55

Maree, below is the link to Bruce's(Ozeboy's) nursery. It is under "Mail Order Nurseries" for later reference.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
The Lazy Rosarian
The Lazy Rosarian

Back to top Go down

Post by neptune 4th November 2012, 18:01

roseman wrote:Maree, some nurseries will custom bud if asked. There was a nursery over in W.A. that only grew standards, I think they might be de-funked now, Neptune might know.

that would have been alot of years ago Dave.....I , personally do not know of a nursey that does that, unless it is a very small one.....
neptune
neptune

Number of posts : 2450
Registration date : 2010-06-26

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lazy Rosarian 4th November 2012, 18:11

Might have been when you were in nappies
The Lazy Rosarian
The Lazy Rosarian

Back to top Go down

Post by neptune 4th November 2012, 18:19

hmmmmm...I will check........you could be right...... Wink
neptune
neptune

Number of posts : 2450
Registration date : 2010-06-26

Back to top Go down

Post by maree 4th November 2012, 18:22

Thanks guys , thanks Betsy , oh dear got to find more room for roses on this little suburban block lol !!!!
maree
maree

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozeboy 4th November 2012, 19:21

'AOTEAROA' IS DEFINATELY ONE OF THE TOP FRAGRANCE ROSES. When it runs out of patent then I will grow it knowing full well the breeder has recovered costs and hopefully profit during the 20 years it has been protected.

It's not a rose that will grow in the middle of the road for it needs good maintainencs, deep water twice weekly and feeding with plenty of cow manure etc. I just love this one.

Ozeboy

Back to top Go down

Post by maree 4th November 2012, 20:18

Ozeboy , as i mentioned , i was a bit concerned when after i pruned , there were no new canes coming through and still haven't , is that normal ?, i even gave it a scrape with the secatures like the guru from Swanes does , to no avail , just never seen that before . Have you seen Full Sail , the white version ? it is a smallish rose too which i like , as i don't have a lot of room ..... I do really like this rose too , really like it ...... Have you also seen Amazing Grace a white rose with White Spray and Aoteroa as parents , it sounds good , Ross Roses have it ....
maree
maree

Back to top Go down

Post by Jac2 4th November 2012, 20:51

Maree, I have Valencia and FC and enjoy their fragrance and HC has been on my list; they all sound great, and I’d agree with Betsy, re Valencia: I repotted her from a medium into a large pot about a month ago, and decided only today that this rose must go into the ground a.s.a.p. It immediately put out a very thick long cane with lots of buds at the top, and I want more like that. It’s quite a large, tall bush.
Why not give grafting and budding a go yourself? Sounds like you’ve got lots of spare standard stock available with all the roses you remove regularly. There’re many books on the subject, I just got one from the library. Then you can turn any rose you like into a standard and if you don’t like it, try another one.
Just hours ago I was thinking only Honey Dijon would do to match the little bed I designed around my new birdbath, but looking at Aoteroa again, it would probably be even nicer, especially with all the nice comments I’m reading about it. It must blend with light terracotta, white and brown, and I’m dying to plant Julia’s Rose there, but the spot is in full sunlight …
Jac2
Jac2

Number of posts : 524
Registration date : 2012-06-29

Back to top Go down

Post by betsyw 4th November 2012, 20:55

I'm interested in Amazing Grace too, for next year (I'm bored and disappointed with my new selections this year already). Looks and sounds as if it could be really lovely, fragrant vase fodder.

Full Sail :sigh: Never was the star for me that its parthenogenic parent was. Ao is just a better rose, IMO, but Full Sail is the most beautiful wedding cake white. (when it blooms, and doesn't ball or fry or sulk)
betsyw
betsyw

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozeboy 4th November 2012, 21:49

Maree, as mentioned 'Aotearoa' will send out water shoots when it is being well looked after. I use deep litter poultry manure sparingly which usually doesn't burn.This together with Seaweed, Sudden Impact and fortnightly spraying with "Thrive" or alternatively "Harvest" works well. Ph is kept at around 6.5 to 7. I'm always looking for more humus so am trialing bedding straw which is very weed free except for the grains still in the straw. Up come the seeds and when 6" long I pull them out with ease and dig the lot in.
I have been asked to do a trial for Dutch Bio-Power Pty Ltd which has been bought out by an Australian Company. PH is to be maintained at 6 where the best uptake of nutrients is known. The only very uniform plants I had were 30 odd potted Hibiscus. It is now 45 days into the trial and the treated ones are a pretty even 25% larger than the untreated ones. Colour is also very noticeable. These products have not been released into retail as yet but is showing great results in Hydroponic vegetable growing. One of the best rose and Dahlia growers in Sydney had 4 or 5 half grown heifers in the back paddock. People would ask what are your secrets being blind to the back paddock. I would think fresh cow manure spread very thinly with water was the answer.

Ozeboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next