Rose Talk Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Watch This Space, more info coming.
by The Lazy Rosarian 21st September 2018, 06:25

» A Rose by any other name ...
by The Lazy Rosarian 17th September 2018, 19:26

» Looking for "St Brigid's Rose"
by The Lazy Rosarian 11th August 2018, 06:50

» And for David while he is away.
by neptune 19th July 2018, 23:57

» Wanting to talk with old roserian friends again, and new roserians friends too !
by rosemeadowtasmania 14th July 2018, 22:54

» Premature Petal dropping- Perth
by rosemeadowtasmania 5th July 2018, 15:27

» Vale: Meryl Constance
by rosemeadowtasmania 5th July 2018, 13:55

» Newbie to roses and forums for that matter!
by Steph 28th June 2018, 09:39

miniature roses

+3
betsyw
Ozeboy
The Lazy Rosarian
7 posters

Go down

miniature roses Empty miniature roses

Post by The Lazy Rosarian 12th July 2012, 06:39

Question, does anyone grow mini roses ? It just that we collectively do not mention them. If you do could they be listed out of interest. If so, are any of them Yellow in colour.
Thanks in advance.
The Lazy Rosarian
The Lazy Rosarian

Number of posts : 5191
Registration date : 2009-01-11

Back to top Go down

miniature roses Empty Re: miniature roses

Post by Ozeboy 12th July 2012, 18:57

Golden Angel and KO's Yellow. Both on order to arrive shortly.

Others:- Gold Coin, Golden Doll, Lemon Delight, Long Life,
Rise and Shine, Sun Baby.

Ozeboy

Number of posts : 1673
Registration date : 2008-12-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozeboy 12th July 2012, 20:22

I have Softee, Delicious, Sweet Chariot. Sweet Chariot arrived recently but the others have been here for years.
There are possibly others I can't remember just now.
I have just aquired Little Darling, a Floribunda Ralph Moore used to breed a lot of his minatures from.
They are very interesting and look forward to growing these and some small Polyantha Tub Roses this season. A nice change from all those latest overseas HT's all the nurseries are flogging this season.

Ozeboy

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lazy Rosarian 13th July 2012, 05:59

Thanks Bruce, the 4 from Mr. Moore, which I believe is the father of miniature roses.
Softee
Golden Angel
Gold Coin
Lemon Delight
I think these ones might come to Mudgee(I will PM you) as they are going to be very close friends with the 2 'Buccaneer' coming.
Bruce I have not been able to find much/any info on 3 others, 'Sun Baby', Golden Doll'. Long Life'.
The Lazy Rosarian
The Lazy Rosarian

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozeboy 13th July 2012, 07:56

Ralph Moore is the most famous Minis breeder but there are a few others that appear in his pedigrees. McGredy in New Zealand and Pedro Dot have bred some good ones.
That 'Avendal' is considered to be one of the most popular in USA.
There seems to be a trend towards making Minis with exhibition type high centered HT blooms. I do prefer these myself rather than messy looking semi flat blooms.
'Sun Baby', 'Golden Doll' and 'Long Life" are not on HMF so can't help you with pedigrees. Think they were left overs from the Minis boom here in the 1980's.

Ozeboy

Back to top Go down

Post by betsyw 14th July 2012, 14:28

Ozeboy, can you tell me from where you sourced Sweet Chariot? Thomas or elsewhere? I lovelovelove this cultivar, always thought of it as a polyantha rather than a real mini. In any case, I mostly think of it as a lovely fragrant container plant, pretty and profusely cascading , not so much a rosey-rose. Need to have it again, preferably two.
betsyw
betsyw

Number of posts : 1340
Registration date : 2012-05-01

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozeboy 14th July 2012, 18:17

Betsyw, I picked it up from a rose friend, not a commercial nursery.
It's very young and on it's own roots so will be slow maturing compared to a grafted rose. Another person wants one and had very glowing praise for it. Could do ownroot but initially will graft for the first season to satisfy a few might be orders.
I'm interested to breed from it being a blue/mauve.

Ozeboy

Back to top Go down

Post by betsyw 14th July 2012, 20:00

Ozeboy, if and when you're selling grafted SCs, I'm a definite customer. You can PM me when/if you are ready to sell, with details on how to pay you (BPay?) Of course, all depends on your time and inclination to graft and sell some plants Very Happy
Edit: Greatr choice for a breeding plant, I think. Can't namesome of the offspring without checking, but as I recall SC has been the forebear of some nice roses.
betsyw
betsyw

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozeboy 14th July 2012, 20:30

betsyw, please contact me late Summer or Autumn for an update on it's progress. Will give it some Sudden Impact and Seamungs.

Ozeboy

Back to top Go down

Post by betsyw 15th July 2012, 09:19

Ozeboy wrote:betsyw, please contact me late Summer or Autumn for an update on it's progress. Will give it some Sudden Impact and Seamungs.

Delighted!
betsyw
betsyw

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozeboy 15th July 2012, 14:31

Someone asked me, " What is a minature rose?" I could remember all those minis in Coles and Woolworths back in the 1980's but exactly what they were eluded. After looking it up here is Ralph Moores description.

Miniature roses are descendants of 'Rosa chinensis minima' (Rosa rouletii). They have tiny leaves, are much branched and make thick compact plants. Buds, flowers, leaves, stem, thorns-every part of the plant is much reduced in size as compared to the larger forms of roses, yet in perfect proportion. Minature roses are scaled-down versions of larger roses.

Ruston's catalogue list about 380 minitures so they have been very popular at one time or another. Possibly back in the 1970's when budwood could be imported.

Ozeboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Bonita18 16th July 2012, 22:12

Over the years I have enjoyed reading on the web about Ralph Moore. He was about 101 when he died a couple of years ago and what a legacy of miniatures he has left to the world.
Risé N Shine
Magic Carousel
Easter Morning
I think are just three of his roses.
He was considered a real Christian gentleman - very humble and he gave of his knowledge to others./

Bonita18

Number of posts : 264
Registration date : 2010-12-28

Back to top Go down

Post by rosemeadow 17th July 2012, 21:14

Yes, Bonita, I enjoyed reading about Roger Moore too

rosemeadow

Number of posts : 902

Back to top Go down

Post by Ausrose 20th July 2012, 03:13

Earlier tonight I was reading an article on miniature roses in the 2007 Australian Rose Annual. The article was taken from a talk given by Luis T. Desamero at the WFRS Regional Convention in Auckland 2004. A description of the article as given"A historical journey through the evolution of Miniature and MiniFlora roses.
In the article Desamero lists the USA Miniature Rose Hall of Fame Roses these being:- Starina, Heavenly Secret, Magic Carrousel, Rise 'n' Shine, Party Girl, Mary Marshall, Jeanne Lajoie, Cupcake, Snow Bride, Little Jackie, Minnie Pearl, Green Ice, Red Cascade, Rainbows End, Black Jade, Gene King, Pierrine, Irresistible and Fairhope.. Of these I grow Magic Carrousel, Party Girl, Jeanne Lajoie, Irresistible, Black Jade and Snow Bride all of which have a permanent place in my garden. My favourite of those I grow would have to be Irresistible

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Irresistible

Ausrose

Number of posts : 1318
Registration date : 2012-01-26

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lazy Rosarian 20th July 2012, 06:05

Doug, Irresistible, I would think should be a winner on the show bench. It has good pedigree. How does it and Black Jade handle the heat in Summer at your place Question .
As you get around the shows, which yellow is the one which wins Question
The Lazy Rosarian
The Lazy Rosarian

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozeboy 20th July 2012, 08:05

Doug, you have a nice collection yourself and thanks for the other information. Irresistible is just about perfect. Would like to see a bright scarlet with that form.

The Pink Angel shoots are quite slow due to the frosts but are ready to grow come Spring.

Ozeboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Ausrose 20th July 2012, 17:11

The Bruce Chapman miniature Red Gem (due to be released by Ross Roses in 2013) is as good as red I've seen on the show bench in recent years and has good form.

Irresistible has been winning on the show bench all around the world for a number of years. I first saw it win in Vancouver at the 2009 WFRS Convention Show and again in NZ at the national show at Hamilton the same year.

I live in Emu Plains with a temperature range from -2 to 44 and the Black Jade I have in a pot handles it quite well.

As far as yellow miniatures go the most successful onto the show bench in recent years has been Rise 'n" Shine however it doesn't collect many first prizes if any. I have a lovely bush of Moore's Yellow however it is strictly for show in the garden.

Bruce glad to hear Pink Angel is doing well. I can't wait to get it on the show bench.

Ausrose

Number of posts : 1318
Registration date : 2012-01-26

Back to top Go down

Post by neptune 20th July 2012, 22:20

I just might give growing a miniture or two a go but I can't find anyone over here who sells Irresistable or Black jade.....still looking...
neptune
neptune

Number of posts : 2450
Registration date : 2010-06-26

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down