Rose Talk Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Watch This Space, more info coming.
by The Lazy Rosarian 21st September 2018, 06:25

» A Rose by any other name ...
by The Lazy Rosarian 17th September 2018, 19:26

» Looking for "St Brigid's Rose"
by The Lazy Rosarian 11th August 2018, 06:50

» And for David while he is away.
by neptune 19th July 2018, 23:57

» Wanting to talk with old roserian friends again, and new roserians friends too !
by rosemeadowtasmania 14th July 2018, 22:54

» Premature Petal dropping- Perth
by rosemeadowtasmania 5th July 2018, 15:27

» Vale: Meryl Constance
by rosemeadowtasmania 5th July 2018, 13:55

» Newbie to roses and forums for that matter!
by Steph 28th June 2018, 09:39

Si the micro - miniature rose by Dot

3 posters

Go down

Si the micro - miniature rose by Dot  Empty Si the micro - miniature rose by Dot

Post by Bonita18 15th September 2011, 21:40

Does anyone grow this rose? I have tried for quite a few years to obtain it from the Minirose nursery at Box Hill but without succeeding in hearing from them in reply to my calls and letters. Do they still operate or perhaps they hae closed?
I understand that the bloom of Si is the size of a grain of wheat.

Bonita18

Number of posts : 264
Registration date : 2010-12-28

Back to top Go down

Si the micro - miniature rose by Dot  Empty Re: Si the micro - miniature rose by Dot

Post by Admin 15th September 2011, 22:15

Bonita.. this was the very first rose I grew at the ripe old age of ten! I struck them from cuttings given to me by my Grandmother's neighbour and for many years I called it 'Biddy' after her until I learned its real name. I carried that plant around with me for 15 years and then lost it in a move and have been looking for it ever since (15 years)!

I thought I had it recently as Ross Roses sent me cuttings of a rose they assured me was 'Si'. It wasn't. It's a nice little rose but it isn't 'Si'.

However, I am onto a lead! A good friend of mine visited a rose nursery in Melbourne called The Rose Paradise. They have it in their stock plants that they progagte from but had none available at the time. They told my friend that they would propagate a few and send them to him and he will, in turn send me cuttings as it establishes. So if the Rose God's are smiling on us we should have cuttings within the year Smile I will, of course, make available any spare plants I manage to strike to interested people to ensure this little gem doesn't disappear altogether in Australia!

Admin

Number of posts : 3750
Registration date : 2008-02-08

http://www.rosetalkaustralia.com

Back to top Go down

Si the micro - miniature rose by Dot  Empty Re: Si the micro - miniature rose by Dot

Post by Bonita18 16th September 2011, 15:41

Thanks Simon - I understand that Rose Paradise is the other name for that nursery I mentioned. I really, really hope you and your friend are successful. It is most important that this little one rmains available in OZ. I so much want to see it and grow it.

Bonita18

Number of posts : 264
Registration date : 2010-12-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin 16th September 2011, 19:20

Bonita, all the new posts made here are automatically published to our Facebook account and if we were able to receive cuttings easily from the U.S. we could have had this sorted last night as we had offers of material from their. If only it was that easy! I'm a firm supporter of quarantine but sometimes, just sometimes, I'd like things to be a little easier than they are!

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by IanM 13th October 2011, 23:49

Simon, It's a pity the 'Si' rose is proving to be so elusive. I notice on HelpMeFind that Paul Barden bred a rose in 2010 that he is calling 'Si Plus Plus' and classes it as a "Micro-miniature". The breeding is recorded as 'Magic Wand' x 'Magic Wand'. Anyway I just thought I'd throw this bit of trivia out there. I know it will never replace the original 'Si'. Good luck in your search. I've also been keeping an ear to the ground.
IanM
IanM

Number of posts : 238
Registration date : 2010-11-14

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin 13th October 2011, 23:53

'Si Plus Plus' is a name for the computer people out there. Can you work out how Wink ?

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by IanM 14th October 2011, 00:15

Good one. Laughing

Another nice mini one is 'Tiny Tears'. Not sure if it's available here though.
IanM
IanM

Number of posts : 238
Registration date : 2010-11-14

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down