Rose Talk Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Watch This Space, more info coming.
by The Lazy Rosarian 21st September 2018, 06:25

» A Rose by any other name ...
by The Lazy Rosarian 17th September 2018, 19:26

» Looking for "St Brigid's Rose"
by The Lazy Rosarian 11th August 2018, 06:50

» And for David while he is away.
by neptune 19th July 2018, 23:57

» Wanting to talk with old roserian friends again, and new roserians friends too !
by rosemeadowtasmania 14th July 2018, 22:54

» Premature Petal dropping- Perth
by rosemeadowtasmania 5th July 2018, 15:27

» Vale: Meryl Constance
by rosemeadowtasmania 5th July 2018, 13:55

» Newbie to roses and forums for that matter!
by Steph 28th June 2018, 09:39

Hello from Brisbane

+6
jordan71
maree
neptune
Balinbear
The Lazy Rosarian
Jac2
10 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Hello from Brisbane Empty Hello from Brisbane

Post by Jac2 29th June 2012, 19:03

Hello, I just joined from Brisbane. My Old Garden-, Austin- and HT roses went in on June 1 and are really taking off now with all the rain here, perfect. This is my second rose garden; I started the first in 2008, when I had a health scare that knocked me off my feet, and suddenly had loads of time to spent in the garden … and very quickly caught rose fever.
I’m in a new house now, and can’t wait to see my new blooms. Meanwhile, I’ve been googling antique and wild roses; I think that’s where I’m headed with the backyard, which is still a blank slate. I’m very curious about Moss Roses, because of their interesting texture and fragrance. Another group that intrigues me are the Sweet Brier Hybrids/Penzance Roses (1800s), which have fragrant foliage as well as blooms. If that’s true, I want to try.
I grow my roses mainly to smell them, i.e., to “snort” them, according to my other half. My partner is very supportive of my love for roses in as far as he never said a word when I quadrupled the budget for this order (my birthday present), however, I’m not allowed to discuss them anymore; he’ll see them when they come out. My friends are pretty over them, too. They manage to feign interest only for so long, then their eyes suddenly roll a bit before glazing over and I know they’re gone; they all do it, and I’ve gotten the message. So here I am, nice to meet you all.
Jac2
Jac2

Number of posts : 524
Registration date : 2012-06-29

Back to top Go down

Hello from Brisbane Empty Re: Hello from Brisbane

Post by The Lazy Rosarian 29th June 2012, 20:12

Ok Jac2, as that is is your username, how do you wish to be called, IE Jac/jackie or whatever.
As to your other half, what are they into, same goes for your friends. When you have excess blooms they will want some.
Welcome form me, throw some questions and answer some, this is how it works. You might have some expertise we might not have.
The Lazy Rosarian
The Lazy Rosarian

Number of posts : 5191
Registration date : 2009-01-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Balinbear 29th June 2012, 20:15

Jac
Welcome.

We are up on the Sunshine Coast. You know where it rains all the time.

Not sure how Moss roses will go in our weather. We tried a couple a few years ago but the blackspot was fierce on them and they did not flower all that well in the humidity. We ended up throughing them out.

Not sure about the sweet briar hybrids. We have never tried them. It would be interesting to see how they go.
Balinbear
Balinbear

Number of posts : 1459
Registration date : 2010-01-30

Back to top Go down

Post by neptune 29th June 2012, 21:13

Welcome to the forum Jackie.....please enjoy your stay and don't hesitate to ask questions......there are many people on here from Qld, who might be able to help you one way or another.....
neptune
neptune

Number of posts : 2450
Registration date : 2010-06-26

Back to top Go down

Post by Jac2 29th June 2012, 22:20

Roseman, Jackie is fine. I use Jac b/c it’s fast to log in and 2 b/c there was already another Jac out there.
Excess blooms? Sounds great, touch wood.
I haven’t grown roses for very long, and can’t speak of any expertise, but I had 26 in my first garden, and 30 coming along now, and would be happy to share how any of them stand our very hot and humid summers. The only rose I had in my first garden and ordered again is Jude the Obscure. Not b/c I was unhappy with any of the others, but b/c I’m curious and want to try all of them. However, I couldn’t do without Jude, if you know anything else that smells like it, please let me know. Thanks for your welcome.

Balinbear, my partner’s mother lives in Palmwoods on the Sunshine Coast. I hear there is a nice rose farm out there somewhere. I’ve been looking for it on the net, but the closest farms I can find in our area are in Toowoomba and west of Brisbane. Do you know where this illusive little farm is hiding or why they don’t have a webpage?
Pity about the moss roses, I really wanted one a lot, but if they don’t like our climate, planting one is probably pointless.
Speaking of climate, do you know what equivalent zone to the American system we’re in? I’m on HMF a lot and I would like to interpret the user comments meaningfully. I used to think we were in Zone 9, but now I think it’s more like Zone 10. Having certainty here would really help. Cheers

neptune, thanks for your welcome.
Jac2
Jac2

Back to top Go down

Post by maree 29th June 2012, 23:21

Hi Jackie , welcome from Melbourne !!!
maree
maree

Number of posts : 1733
Registration date : 2012-05-25

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lazy Rosarian 30th June 2012, 06:02

Jackie, try this link below for your zone,
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
The Lazy Rosarian
The Lazy Rosarian

Back to top Go down

Post by Balinbear 30th June 2012, 14:09

Jackie
I think the farm you are talking about is at Eudlo. It is a flower farm and do not sell plants. If you are up this way please fell free to drop in. Just Let me know in advance so that I can be sure that I will not be working.
Balinbear
Balinbear

Back to top Go down

Post by jordan71 30th June 2012, 16:45

welcome to the forum jackie.. if you like a nice rose that smells great .. try Mme. isaac pereire..
i also keep lots of old roses and love the scent .. if u have any questions let me know

Dan
jordan71
jordan71

Number of posts : 1699
Registration date : 2012-03-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Jac2 30th June 2012, 23:47

Maree, Thank you ! ! !

Roseman, Thanks for your trouble, but I was looking for the equivalent American zones, so that I could interpret comments on HMF and other American sources. Today I finally tracked down a map that shows Australian climate zones using the American system, yippee!
I tried to post the link here, but learned that as a new member, was not allowed to do that. I will follow up next week, when I will be allowed.

Balinbear, Eudlo sounds familiar, but I’m sure James’ mum said rose farm, because roses were the topic of our conversation. I have to ask her again.
Loved getting your invitation! Will drop in for sure, say hello in person and see and smell some roses. Sounds great … once the weather picks up a bit.

Dan, I was looking at Mme. Isaac Pereire for a very long time, but let it go at the last moment, to take Souvenir de la Malmaison for my Burbon (I’m going for one of each in the groups, to keep myself in check and from running wild, buying everything that comes my way – easy to do). Ordered Classic Roses: An Illustrated Encyclopaedia and Grower's Manual of Old Roses, Shrub Roses and Climbers yesterday, any good? I’ll keep an eye open for MIP, there are lots of old garden roses available locally this year, maybe I’m lucky. Thanks for the welcome!
Jac2
Jac2

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lazy Rosarian 1st July 2012, 05:50

Jackie this is the latest one from the USDA(home page)

The link in my previous post is one made to suit OZ conditions but also has the USA equalient with it. The new USDA plant hardiness map also has the sunset ratings if your interested.

Here is another link that might be helpful in finding books,
The Lazy Rosarian
The Lazy Rosarian

Back to top Go down

Post by sallybcs 1st July 2012, 08:24

Hi Jackie, Welcome to the forum. I'm also from Brisbane, in the outer northern suburbs. I'd love to know where you are getting your ogr's from in Brissy. I've been fiddling around and will probably miss out getting anything from Mistydowns now.

I hear you about the friends. Hubby helps with digging holes, but unfortunately he's not too keen on weeding.
I find SDLM does pretty well here. I did have Mme Isaac Pierre, but it had to some down when we go a pool. I haven't replaced it. I think it would do better with pegging and I think it will be one that will take awhile to settle in.

I have never tried a Moss rose, but I did have a Centifolia, Fantin Latour. It didn't like it here, no leaves and tiny flowers and only 1 or 2 of those a year. I find the teas are much more successful.

Good luck with your selection and keep us posted.

sallybcs

Number of posts : 62
Registration date : 2010-12-19

Back to top Go down

Post by jordan71 1st July 2012, 15:52

Jac2 wrote:Maree, Thank you ! ! !

Roseman, Thanks for your trouble, but I was looking for the equivalent American zones, so that I could interpret comments on HMF and other American sources. Today I finally tracked down a map that shows Australian climate zones using the American system, yippee!
I tried to post the link here, but learned that as a new member, was not allowed to do that. I will follow up next week, when I will be allowed.

Balinbear, Eudlo sounds familiar, but I’m sure James’ mum said rose farm, because roses were the topic of our conversation. I have to ask her again.
Loved getting your invitation! Will drop in for sure, say hello in person and see and smell some roses. Sounds great … once the weather picks up a bit.

Dan, I was looking at Mme. Isaac Pereire for a very long time, but let it go at the last moment, to take Souvenir de la Malmaison for my Burbon (I’m going for one of each in the groups, to keep myself in check and from running wild, buying everything that comes my way – easy to do). Ordered Classic Roses: An Illustrated Encyclopaedia and Grower's Manual of Old Roses, Shrub Roses and Climbers yesterday, any good? I’ll keep an eye open for MIP, there are lots of old garden roses available locally this year, maybe I’m lucky. Thanks for the welcome!

okay souvenir its a nice choice but she doesnt like to get wett... its a beautiful rose tho

enjoy it
jordan71
jordan71

Back to top Go down

Post by jordan71 1st July 2012, 15:55

Jac2 wrote:Maree, Thank you ! ! !

yeah and the classic roses encycolpaedia is very good and lots info there .. have got the book infact its brilliant
jordan71
jordan71

Back to top Go down

Post by maree 1st July 2012, 18:01

Jackie , i too had MIP , loved it , unfortunately it had to make way for a vegie patch , got to find a spot for another one ....
maree
maree

Number of posts : 1733
Registration date : 2012-05-25

Back to top Go down

Post by Balinbear 1st July 2012, 19:12

Jackie

The place I was thinking about is called Eudlo Ridge Roses. It is a wholesale florist and only sells flowers to florists.

I know there is a lady up at Huchy (between Palmwoods and Monville) who grows heritage roses from cuttings but just does it for fundraising for the Huchy Progress Association (or some organisation like that).

She was selling roses at the Wilson's open garden at Montville at Easter.

I did have her number written down but cannot find it.
Balinbear
Balinbear

Back to top Go down

Post by Balinbear 1st July 2012, 19:14

Jackie

A gallery of what we grow.

Balinbear
Balinbear

Back to top Go down

Post by jordan71 1st July 2012, 21:33

Wow what a collection
jordan71
jordan71

Back to top Go down

Post by Jac2 2nd July 2012, 22:26

Balinbear, GEORGES, GEORGES, GEORGES, WOW ! ! ! You’ve got them all: Mrs. Graham Hart, wow; Mme Issac Pierrie, double wow; Mrs B R Cant, triple wow! And if there were such a thing as a perfect shape for a rosebush, it would have to be your Mme Alice Garnier. I’m sure that’s the one that grew in Sleeping Beauty’s yard – the quintessential rosebush.
What an interesting pink on Pink Mamon Cochet; warm, creamy; very smooth, and Teasing Georgia is teasing: “you could have had me, ne ne nene ne”.

I see you’ve got a Parkes Yellow Not ? ? ? Interesting

Boy, am I looking forward to my Monsieur Tiller now. I really looked around for a long time before I settled for a rose, and collected every bit of information I could find. I have to say, had I seen your pictures, it would have taken half the time to make the decision on MT – and I nearly didn’t take it; I wonder why they didn’t come up when I googled.

And yes, I’d like to meet that little old lady with heritage rose cuttings. I’m not at all opposed to donating for charity. No hurry with the number, we’re not planning a trip up there in the near future, James’ mum is busy organising and packing for a trip to Chile and Peru. Meanwhile I’ll ask her to keep an eye open for that angel at the local markets on weekends; maybe she’s out there somewhere.

Roseman, So sorry, of course that map shows the US equivalents – I didn’t see them because they weren’t in colour, and I’m as blind as a bat; it’s a good map. I don’t know whether finally knowing what zone I’m is good news though.

Sally, how exciting, I didn’t know there was another Brisbane member out there. We must go rose-hunting together. My girlfriends always end up sitting on a big plant pot somewhere looking bored.
I’m also on the north side, but my garden is nothing to show yet; I started with a blank slate, literally.
My other half can see the value in having a nice garden, and is only prepared to mow; but that was the deal right from the start, and I think it’s a good one. Thanks for telling me a Centifolia is also not suited for our climate; maybe having one of each in the main groups is an unrealistic goal. Yes, that my Tee, Monsieur Tiller, will do well here is clearly seen in Balinbears pictures. What Tees are you growing?
I would love to tell you where I’m getting my ogr's from in Brissy, as soon as I know what you mean by that, excuse my ignorance.
Jac2
Jac2

Back to top Go down

Post by sallybcs 4th July 2012, 08:58

Hi Jackie, I grow a few varieties. Duchesse De Brabant is my favourite, she's called something else now, Comtesse De Laberthe or something, I'm sure I've spelt it wrong. Nevermind you get the idea. Anna Olivier, Mons Tillier, Baronne Henriette De Snoy, Triomphe de Luxembourg, Rozette Delizy, Mamon Cochet White are the established teas. Mrs Dudley Cross and Jean Ducher are still young and I'm waiting to see how they perform. DdB and TdL are the best size wise, the others can get large so if your space is limited it can be a challenge to fit them in. Ohh, nearly forgot Mrs BR Cant, another big girl, but magnificent flowers. In Chinas I've got Mutablis and Cramoisi Superior, but the neighbours gum trees are impacting on the light, so Mutablis particularly is not flowering like it normally would. I also have L'ouche, but at the moment I couldn't recomment it.
I have Lamarque, it's a Noisette, which Balinbear suggested as a good variety. I'm determined to conquer them one day but they are a variety that doesn't do too well for me for some reason.
By OGR's I mean Old Garden Roses or Old Fashioned roses, I'd love to go on a nursery tour. Enjoy your garden.

sallybcs

Number of posts : 62
Registration date : 2010-12-19

Back to top Go down

Post by tambralyngar 6th July 2012, 20:26

Hi Jackie,
Welcome, I am in Nambour on the sunshine coast, so you are welcome to pop in any time you are up this way as well. Gary's place and roses are amazing!!! worth the visit.
The rose farm you are talking about at Palmwoods is Jabula Roses, they only supply to florists , but the public are welcome to drop in and purchase some cut roses.
My Heritage rose that I love and does well in my garden is Buff Beauty, I had Boule de Neige that was going well until someone stole the whole bush.
Cheers Tamara
tambralyngar
tambralyngar

Number of posts : 231
Registration date : 2011-10-16

Back to top Go down

Post by Jac2 7th July 2012, 13:24

Sally
Yes, let’s hit the nurseries together. I will private contact you with my number, please feel free to contact me, if you don’t get anything, because I’m not sure how that works, and have to have a look.
I checked out your Duchesse De Brabant; whenever I hear ‘favorite’, I know it’ll be special, and this one certainly is. My list of roses to get for the backyard is taking on a different shape. You’re right about the other name, Comtesse de Labarathe, and there is also Comtesse de Labarthe, Countess Bertha, Shell, and The Shell Rose (tea, Bernede 1857). Why can’t they just stick with Shell?
One rose that keeps on coming up as an excellent candidate is Mrs BR Cant, and I would have definitely taken that, but it wasn’t available where I ordered. Its really good to hear that it’s doing well in Brisbane, and wow what a beautiful photo in Balinbear’s/Garry’s gallery, because now I will make an effort to hunt it down.
I read somewhere else that Lamarque was not all that happy in hot humid climates, but got it anyway, because I’ve really wanted it for a long time, ever since my old garden, where I didn’t have the space for it (or pretty much anything in the end, and started planting them outside my front gate and fence). In my new garden, I like to hear big, because thankfully I’ve got some good space, in the front and back.

My other Old Garden Roses include: Blanc Double de Coubert, Hybrid Rugosa; Souvenir de la Malmaison, Bourbon; Felicia, Hybrid Musk; Monsieur Tillier, Tea;
Perle d'Or, China/Bengale/Polyantha (recommended by the QLD Rose Society); Reine des Violettes, Hybrid Perpetual; Mme Hardy, Damask; and Charles de Mills, Gallica/Provins; and I really hope you’ll come and have a look at them, once they start blooming.

Tamara,
Thank you for your welcome and your generous invitation, how wonderful to get the opportunity to meet so many people who love roses. I’m absolutely dying to see Garry’s rose garden, and have been plotting a visit with James’s mum, when she comes back from her trip. We will turn that into a rose tour and drop in if convenient for you (can’t say when at the moment). Please come and visit me in Brisbane to have a look at the varieties I grow, but there’s not much to see yet. James reckons we got ripped off, they’re only sticks. But they’ve all taken very well, and I’m out there every morning, getting excited about every new leave; and spotted the first buds on Souvenir DLaM, and Tamora a couple of days ago.
Yes, the rose farm James’ mother thought of was Jalumba; pity they don’t sell to the public, that would have been perfect, everything else is a bit too far out for me.

I will enjoy seeing a real life Buff Beauty, another one that keeps one coming up when I look for possible new editions.
My Good, somebody stole a whole rose bush, you have my sympathy. Boule de Neige must be something very special for some devil to take a risk like that. It escaped my order at the last moment. I had written to the grower, asking which of my possible whites (BdeN, Glamis Castle, Windemere and Claire Austin) had the strongest fragrance, and they came back with CA, so I settled with that; but it was a hard decision. BdeN, like Lamarque had been one my list since my first garden, and like Lamarque, some people said it wasn’t all that happy in hotter more humid climates. It’s little comments like that, which sometimes influence the final decision. But now you’re telling me it was doing very well here; so there you go, something else to definitely keep in mind. What other roses are doing well in your garden?
Jac2
Jac2

Back to top Go down

Post by Balinbear 7th July 2012, 21:02

Jackie

Don't buy a Comtesse de Labarathe. We have a few in pots that were grew from cuttings (they strike like wharfies). You can one or two of these when you drop by. We have about 60 or so of them in the garden and I think we have purchased two or three of them. The rest are from cuttings.

Don't have any BR Cants at present (I don't think so but I will have a look).
Balinbear
Balinbear

Back to top Go down

Post by tambralyngar 8th July 2012, 18:17

Hi Jackie,

My roses are very young, they are only 12mths old as I am quite new to the rose growing addiction. I have just planted my new ones this week. I only have a very small garden but you are welcome to visit, it will not be anything special like Gary's place is.

My other roses doing well are
Just Joey
Queen Elizabeth
Black Beauty
Reines de Violette
I also have an unknown white rose that is powering along it was miss labelled when I bought it so I have no idea which rose it is. I think it is either Lamarque or Milkmaid, but these are just my guesses.

But let me know, PM me, when you are headed this way & I will see what I am up to. Smile

Cheers Tamara
tambralyngar
tambralyngar

Number of posts : 231
Registration date : 2011-10-16

Back to top Go down

Post by Jac2 13th July 2012, 19:11

Garry, wow yes, please, what a generous offer. If there is anything at all that I can bring you in return for a Comtesse de Labarathe, let me know. Maybe a cutting of something I grow or something else you can think of. I must call James’ mum and see if she can accommodate me before she goes overseas. That wasn’t the plan, I don’t want to put her out when she’s got so much to organise, but I have a sudden urge to come immediately. She is also an avid gardener, but is getting along and finds much of the work too hard now, but I know she would enjoy seeing some beautiful roses. I’ve been reading Peter Beales’ Classic Roses over the last couple of days, and suffer from information overload, what a great reference. I will bring the book along.

Tamara, I know exactly how you feel. A nice garden is a long-term project, and it takes a while to really shine. I keep saying I haven’t much to show at the moment, but there will still be some blooms to see and smell very soon. I counted 10 buds on SDLM this morning, that rose just keeps on amazing me. The thing is to see something new in real life vs. the catalogue pictures.
I had a Just Joey with large loose ruffled petals, and am very curious if you’ll get that marvelous fragrance so many people love about it, because mine point blank refused to give me anything. But I had that with a couple of roses that are celebrated for their fragrance everywhere else: Blue Moon and Fresia/Sunsprite come to mind immediately, so maybe there are some fragrances that I just can’t pick up. I found Just Joey’s leaves didn’t cope all that well with direct sunlight on hot days and even burned sometimes, but that was during the year we had that big dust storm (08?), when it was quite hot.
My Reines de Violette is very slow to take, and together with Mme Hardy and Charles de Mills is far behind all other roses, but I expected that from many comments people made about some OGRs. So don’t worry if you don’t see as many leaves for some time, apparently it’ll soon catch up, and become something very spectacular, and with an excellent fragrance. When I wrote to the grower with some Qs re covering a wall, they suggested my RdV was very well suited for that, and other sources suggest it will reach between 120 to 245 cm x 90 to 185 cm, and I think in our climate the larger estimates are more likely; so I’m ready for something big (or prune hard).
Why don’t you take some photos of your unknown white, leaves, buds and blooms, and start a new link “what’s that rose?” here on RTA. I’m sure there will be many replies.
Cheers Jackie
Jac2
Jac2

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next