Rose Talk Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Watch This Space, more info coming.
by The Lazy Rosarian 21st September 2018, 06:25

» A Rose by any other name ...
by The Lazy Rosarian 17th September 2018, 19:26

» Looking for "St Brigid's Rose"
by The Lazy Rosarian 11th August 2018, 06:50

» And for David while he is away.
by neptune 19th July 2018, 23:57

» Wanting to talk with old roserian friends again, and new roserians friends too !
by rosemeadowtasmania 14th July 2018, 22:54

» Premature Petal dropping- Perth
by rosemeadowtasmania 5th July 2018, 15:27

» Vale: Meryl Constance
by rosemeadowtasmania 5th July 2018, 13:55

» Newbie to roses and forums for that matter!
by Steph 28th June 2018, 09:39

Roses for 2012 season

+3
Balinbear
lildeb
Bonita18
7 posters

Go down

Roses for 2012 season Empty Roses for 2012 season

Post by Bonita18 25th June 2012, 19:40

I will be planting another Rose of Wagga Wagga - I love that yellow rose.
Then there will be another City of Newcastle - both of these roses are US born and bred but that does not worry me overmuch.
I do prefer Delbards, Cants , Kordes, roses.
On the heritage side of things -
I have planted already cutting grown roses
Lorne Doone ROR
Ravenswood (sport of Perle DÓr)
Cecile Brunner ( bush form from a plant that survived the bushfires)
Penelope Tea (taken from a 70 yer old plant that I have seen growing up to the kirchen window of an old Queenslander farmhouse.
280 Mackenzie Street ROR (possibly Comtesse Riza du Parc)
A little single pink and white (a cutting that was struck after David Ruston did a floral art arrangement in July last year in Pittsworth.
Then there is Sweet Caroline bred by a friend from Boonah

Just thought you might like to know what I am adding to my collection.
Pride of Venus a climber will be new to me and I will add another Lamarque to my 3 metre high stump to thicken it up a bit.

Bonita18

Number of posts : 264
Registration date : 2010-12-28

Back to top Go down

Roses for 2012 season Empty Re: Roses for 2012 season

Post by lildeb 25th June 2012, 23:41

Can't wait to see pics in a few months mate!! What plants do you use under/around and with your roses? I believe your winters are a little drier and nippier than ours, tho we have already had a couple of frosts, and now it has been raining for ages... weeks.... okay okay.. 3 days, but it FEELS like weeks... >8@ Shivering Pouring Rain
lildeb
lildeb

Number of posts : 197
Registration date : 2011-06-07

http://tylersgarden.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Balinbear 26th June 2012, 15:05

I am sure its been weeks but then again I know I played golf on Friday and it was not raining then so it could not have been weeks.
Balinbear
Balinbear

Number of posts : 1459
Registration date : 2010-01-30

Back to top Go down

Post by sallybcs 1st July 2012, 08:36

I hear you Deb, 5 days of rain feels like an entire season.

Bonita, they sound like a good selection, I've ordered a couple of the newer Austins from Treloar. I live in hope that some will take off here. Crocus rose is one of my best roses so if he can come up with a pink that does as well here with great fragrance I will be happy. Young Lycidas and Princess A o K, I know, I know. I must be an optimist. I've also ordered a replacement for Sonia Rykiel. She died when I was overseas and I really miss her.
OGR wise I haven't decided, I was thinking of going to Leonie's but then I feel I should support Mistydowns. I've always wanted Mrs Herbert Stevens, but fate always seems to intervene. I've got the climbing version but it is way too thorny for the spot it is in. I'm also keen on Borderer, particularly after Balinbear's pics. I'm a sucker for that salmony pink. Other than that I need to find more room.
Like Deb, I would like to see pics.

sallybcs

Number of posts : 62
Registration date : 2010-12-19

Back to top Go down

Post by Ausrose 3rd July 2012, 02:38

I have grown the Dr Bruce Chapman bred Flemington Racecourse, Red Gem and Joyce Abounding so far this season.

Ausrose

Number of posts : 1318
Registration date : 2012-01-26

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lazy Rosarian 3rd July 2012, 06:19

By chance did you get any photos of them this year. I have seen FR in the flesh, it is stunning if you like bold pink.
The Lazy Rosarian
The Lazy Rosarian

Number of posts : 5191
Registration date : 2009-01-11

Back to top Go down

Post by The Estate 3rd July 2012, 11:42

Ausrose wrote:I have grown the Dr Bruce Chapman bred Flemington Racecourse, Red Gem and Joyce Abounding so far this season.

Joyce after his wife love
The Estate
The Estate

Number of posts : 498
Registration date : 2010-06-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Ausrose 3rd July 2012, 15:00

Attached is the vase of Flemington Racecourse that was champion Australian Bred Rose at the Sydney Royal Easter Show in 2010. Thank you roseman as you can see you advice was a success.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Ausrose

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lazy Rosarian 3rd July 2012, 17:55

We aim to please lol!
The Lazy Rosarian
The Lazy Rosarian

Back to top Go down

Post by Bonita18 3rd July 2012, 21:41

I visited my friend Rob Lassig in Bundy last week and came away with another Penelope Tea Rose 1906 candidate from the town of Gayndah, Qld. He also gave me a seedling of his called Miss Julie. Then there are cuttings from a very beautiful sport of Graham Thomas in a pearly sort of pinky white - just beautiful. I hope these strike. Tonight at Rocky at a friends' place we are in the van but it is too cold to go out to the 4WD and get the camera to upload a picture of this rose! We also had a wonderful visit to Trewallyn Rose Nursery in Bundy where Elaine Horne has taken over the nursery from her brother Allan Trebbin. It was started by their father Allan Trebbin who formerly worked for Langbeckers which was a very respected Qld nursery in its day. It is good to see the Trewallyn Nursery continuing in the Trebinn family and she has great plans to change, improve and build upon their reputation. I have bought many plants over the years by mail order and they have always arrived in greagt packaging, promptly and in good condition, They carry a lot of older roses, tried and true harder to get HTs and Floribundas etc.

Bonita18

Number of posts : 264
Registration date : 2010-12-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Ausrose 15th July 2012, 04:42

Exhibitors and Judges should note the previously classified multi-coloured Chapman miniature rose Joyce Abounding has been reclassified and is now classified as a mini flora.

One of the most successful miniatures on NSW show benches in recent years Joyce Abounding has been considered by many as being on the big side to be classified as a miniature which ultimate led it to being reclassified.

Joyce Abounding is a welcome addition to the small but increasing number of Australian bred mini-floras.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Ausrose

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lazy Rosarian 15th July 2012, 06:07

Doug, the colour does not do anything for me IMO, so what is it that makes it a show winner, colour, shape or what ?
The Lazy Rosarian
The Lazy Rosarian

Back to top Go down

Post by Ausrose 15th July 2012, 10:56

Technically colour doesn't come into judging a rose except to say it should be characteristic of the cultivar. i.e. was is accepted as the normal colour of the cultivar. Dull or faded colouring is considered a fault and would be marked down by a judge.

What you consider when judging roses is very complex and extremely difficult to explain in a few words. It took me just on ten years to get to the stage where I had the knownledge and expertise to become an accredited rose judge.

I do have a copy of the the the 2011 NRSA Judging Roses Handbook although slightly out of date would give you an insight into the judging of roses.

It is large file and you would need to pm me your email address so I can send it to you if your interest goes that far.

Ausrose

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down