Rose Talk Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Watch This Space, more info coming.
by The Lazy Rosarian 21st September 2018, 06:25

» A Rose by any other name ...
by The Lazy Rosarian 17th September 2018, 19:26

» Looking for "St Brigid's Rose"
by The Lazy Rosarian 11th August 2018, 06:50

» And for David while he is away.
by neptune 19th July 2018, 23:57

» Wanting to talk with old roserian friends again, and new roserians friends too !
by rosemeadowtasmania 14th July 2018, 22:54

» Premature Petal dropping- Perth
by rosemeadowtasmania 5th July 2018, 15:27

» Vale: Meryl Constance
by rosemeadowtasmania 5th July 2018, 13:55

» Newbie to roses and forums for that matter!
by Steph 28th June 2018, 09:39

Broken David Austin Falstaff

+2
AutumnDamask
Ozrosarian
6 posters

Go down

Broken David Austin Falstaff Empty Broken David Austin Falstaff

Post by Guest 10th November 2011, 17:23

Hi Everyone,

I'm still very new at this rose growing thing .. And .. I forgot to put a stake in the ground for my David Austin when the new 'stem' (stem?) came out. And it broke off.

Can I try and grow this? Please be gentle with me, I'm still learning all this.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Back to top Go down

Broken David Austin Falstaff Empty Re: Broken David Austin Falstaff

Post by Ozrosarian 10th November 2011, 19:36

Tish wrote:Hi Everyone,

I'm still very new at this rose growing thing .. And .. I forgot to put a stake in the ground for my David Austin when the new 'stem' (stem?) came out. And it broke off.
Can I try and grow this? Please be gentle with me, I'm still learning all this.

It's not a bad thing that happened. Many English roses become better in later years if you keep them shorter in the first few years. Because they are such heavy feeders and many love to shoot their big canes, cut them off to force the plant to put its energies in developing of its roots first.
Although it's hard to resist, try not to encourage them to flower too much in the beginning; prune excessive buds and leave just two or three per stem, for same those reasons.
Water them smart, feed them with manure and Dynamic Lifter (avoid mineral fertilisers because they'll spoil the soil), spray the foliage with seaweed liquid tonic once every two weeks, and just be patient Smile
Ozrosarian
Ozrosarian

Number of posts : 90
Registration date : 2010-05-31

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 10th November 2011, 22:09

Can I try and grow the cane that fell off? Or is it the hard wooden bits that you can grow from?

It was a slow starter, and some rose growers who I have asked were surprised. It has gone crazy after I pruned it back after the bees taking parts of the leaves). And you are so right, it very much liked that! So I'll keep on going.

Thank you for all the info, it's so very much appreciated Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 10th November 2011, 22:15

One more thing, mineral fertilizers, as in don't use anything not organic? Osmose etc? Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by AutumnDamask 10th November 2011, 22:18

I've seen a lot of water shoots break off this year. Sad I had 2 beautiful new canes come up on my Papa Meilland that snapped off and down at Samaria Farm I thought a roo or cow had been in - there were snapped shoots everywhere.
I presume it's related to the amazing growing weather we've had and they just aren't strong enough when a big wind comes. And nearly everything affected had been pruned back reasonably strongly in winter....
AutumnDamask
AutumnDamask

Number of posts : 1360
Registration date : 2011-06-08

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 10th November 2011, 22:19

I think the wind is what happened to mine, I could barely take photos it was so windy today. I was so disappointed Sad But it turns out that it's good for it so I'm not too bad now. It must be really frustrating, it's my first broken one.

Back to top Go down

Post by tambralyngar 10th November 2011, 22:58

[quote="AutumnDamask"]I've seen a lot of water shoots break off this year. Sad I had 2 beautiful new canes come up on my Papa Meilland that snapped off and down at Samaria Farm I thought a roo or cow had been in - there were snapped shoots everywhere.
I am new to growing roses....what are "water shoots" Question
tambralyngar
tambralyngar

Number of posts : 231
Registration date : 2011-10-16

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin 10th November 2011, 23:37

Note: Water shoots invariably do not strike well. They are too soft. It's best to throw this broken branch away and if you want to try your hand at propagating them by cutting wait till winter and try to strike some of the prunings. Water shoots are those thick strong new branches that seem to shoot up from down near the graft. They don't always flower this season but should be left alone because they form the structure for the coming season's growth.

Last edited by Simon on 10th November 2011, 23:49; edited 1 time in total

Admin

Number of posts : 3750
Registration date : 2008-02-08

http://www.rosetalkaustralia.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 10th November 2011, 23:45

Thanks Simon Smile You're a world of knowledge! Much appreciated

Back to top Go down

Post by tambralyngar 11th November 2011, 18:54

Thanks, Simon always good to know which ones are the best to leave, haven't got to the "difficult" job of pruning yet.....
tambralyngar
tambralyngar

Number of posts : 231
Registration date : 2011-10-16

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin 11th November 2011, 20:10

Me either... I've been doing this 30 years and still haven't worried about pruning... it's over-rated Wink

Admin

Number of posts : 3750
Registration date : 2008-02-08

http://www.rosetalkaustralia.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozrosarian 11th November 2011, 21:17

Tish wrote:One more thing, mineral fertilizers, as in don't use anything not organic? Osmose etc? Smile

Mineral fertilisers tend to pollute the soil if you're not careful, or, they more readily introduce chemical imbalance. People trow more mineral fertilisers to keep the roses going, say once every six months, and then forget about them. If you want to kill your plants in the long run, that's the royal way to go.

An analogy would be to suff yourself with big Xmas-like lunches for a few days, and they thrive on that for a month. It doesn't work, it will make you sick immediately. Same with roses.

So I'm not saying you should stay away from mineral fertilisers, but, just a suggestion to be careful because you possibly don't know what the soil composition is right now, or what it was during the planting, what's really needed (N? P? K? some metals? minerals?) and what's not.

Therefore it's safer to feed the rose with easier, organic fertilisers, away from the stem too, and after a while after planting. In reality, what most us learn in time is that roses can grow well — they are lovely, sturdy plants — but we don't quite understand the soil beneath their feet, so we overfeed them, or create imbalances of all sorts and form their growth and behaviour to follow a certain bad attitude. We make them gnarled, wooden, sickly plants instead of beautiful, vigorous, flexible beauties. Same analogy is with us humans.

It's not easy to understand what's really needed when feeding roses, because plants show that through their poor growth, different symptoms in foliage, etc. But because they also exhaust themselves, we often come too late to the rescue.

My strongest advice would be to focus your efforts on foliar feeding. Roses LOVE it. In that same go you water them too, and minerals from liquid organic fertilisers go back into ground to be absorbed by the root system. There's nothing better than that to keep the roses beautiful and fit, but it takes your dedication and care. And many are not prepared for it.

Last edited by Ozrosarian on 11th November 2011, 21:28; edited 1 time in total
Ozrosarian
Ozrosarian

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 11th November 2011, 21:27

Thank you Smile That is certainly some great information!
I have bought some organic cow manure that a lady at the rose farm sold to me, so I hope that does the trick, and I don't have to use anything else. The only issue I am having now is that some of the roses are burning in the sun. But with QLD is there much I can do?

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozrosarian 11th November 2011, 21:32

Tish wrote:Thank you Smile That is certainly some great information!
I have bought some organic cow manure that a lady at the rose farm sold to me, so I hope that does the trick, and I don't have to use anything else. The only issue I am having now is that some of the roses are burning in the sun. But with QLD is there much I can do?

Yes. Please see my info above on foliar feeding — it will keep the leaves healthier, juicier and more resistant to heat.

Also, plant white and pale coloured roses towards the sunlight (front) and keep the darker coloured roses in the shade (back). Darker petals absorb more heat (same as you black shirt compared to your white shirt) and strong sun will turn them into pulp in no time.

Last edited by Ozrosarian on 11th November 2011, 21:35; edited 1 time in total
Ozrosarian
Ozrosarian

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 11th November 2011, 21:35

Ok great thanks Smile So can I use the seaweed feed on the leaves? And then water?

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozrosarian 11th November 2011, 21:39

Tish wrote:Ok great thanks Smile So can I use the seaweed feed on the leaves? And then water?

Dilute the seaweed with water as suggested on the package. Foliar feeding is best done early in the morning of a sunny day. Or after sunset. I don't suggest foliar feeding during humid, rainy days.
Ozrosarian
Ozrosarian

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 11th November 2011, 21:42

It should be a cloudy day tomorrow, so I'll do it in the morning. The only one I have is seasol, unless you can recommend anything else?

Again, thank you for all of your help. My roses will be looking great in no time!

Back to top Go down

Post by RitaG 11th November 2011, 23:36

Tish, very sound advise we are getting here regarding foliar feeding. I use Seasol but have now discovered another seaweed extract called Eco-Cweed, a high quality, concentrated soluble powder. Its also quite economical, 'Google' the product for more info.

I have only been using this product for the past two weeks, so time will tell if it does the same job as the other, but I suspect that any good quality sea weed or fish emulsion will do the trick. The only issue with fish emulsion is that it tends to leave an oily type residue on the leaves which could burn them on a hot day, so only spray in the cool of the evening with fish based stuff.

Falstaff is a robust rose, he will recover and grow in no time at all for you. I have two (one was meant to be Ann Boleyn).
RitaG
RitaG

Number of posts : 278
Registration date : 2009-05-24

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 11th November 2011, 23:47

Thanks RitaG I'll have a look and see if I can find it Smile
Definitely better here in QLD to do it in the afternoon or cloudy day.

Back to top Go down

Post by RitaG 12th November 2011, 08:24

You can buy it on line at various outlets, but most good nurseries should stock it.

Just to clarify, its only the fish based solutions that are likely to contain oil in them and not sea weed solutions.
RitaG
RitaG

Number of posts : 278
Registration date : 2009-05-24

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lazy Rosarian 12th November 2011, 08:36

Side track here for minute, fish contain "Omega 3" so it should be good for the rose as they say 'humans' should have a supply of it.
The Lazy Rosarian
The Lazy Rosarian

Number of posts : 5191
Registration date : 2009-01-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozrosarian 12th November 2011, 08:51

roseman wrote:Side track here for minute, fish contain "Omega 3" so it should be good for the rose as they say 'humans' should have a supply of it.

That's why Tish should include blooms of her 'Falstaff' with caramel topping as a desert for Sunday lunches, ahaha Very Happy
Ozrosarian
Ozrosarian

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 12th November 2011, 20:50

Hahahaha! Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content