Rose Talk Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Watch This Space, more info coming.
by The Lazy Rosarian 21st September 2018, 06:25

» A Rose by any other name ...
by The Lazy Rosarian 17th September 2018, 19:26

» Looking for "St Brigid's Rose"
by The Lazy Rosarian 11th August 2018, 06:50

» And for David while he is away.
by neptune 19th July 2018, 23:57

» Wanting to talk with old roserian friends again, and new roserians friends too !
by rosemeadowtasmania 14th July 2018, 22:54

» Premature Petal dropping- Perth
by rosemeadowtasmania 5th July 2018, 15:27

» Vale: Meryl Constance
by rosemeadowtasmania 5th July 2018, 13:55

» Newbie to roses and forums for that matter!
by Steph 28th June 2018, 09:39

Year two here... Marie Van Houte is starting to creep...

3 posters

Go down

Year two here... Marie Van Houte is starting to creep... Empty Year two here... Marie Van Houte is starting to creep...

Post by Admin 18th October 2011, 21:16

'Marie Van Houte' is just beginning to move a little bit. She's not the first Tea to flower this season, that crown went to what looks like 'MME Joseph Schwartz', but this is her first flower for the season. She never has amy hint of pink like I've seen on others. Here's hoping for a really hot summer to see if her colours warm up too Smile

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

This is her 2nd year in the ground here and I expect she will make a bit of growth this season but next season will 'be her year' to fire!

Admin

Number of posts : 3750
Registration date : 2008-02-08

http://www.rosetalkaustralia.com

Back to top Go down

Year two here... Marie Van Houte is starting to creep... Empty Re: Year two here... Marie Van Houte is starting to creep...

Post by newforold 19th October 2011, 18:54

'Duchesse de Brabant' is the largest non-climber in my garden, but 'Marie Van Houtte' comes a close second. They were both planted about 16 years ago. My 'Marie' grows wider than she is high. I am about 5 foot 8 and she is taller than me. She blooms very prolifically and always has a lot of pink - I think this is due to the warm weather in our neck of the woods. At the moment, there are plenty of pink and white blooms on the bush - but some blooms are all white and some blooms are all pink! Usually, they are a blend of both. ( I promise that I will read the tutorial on posting photos as soon as I have time!)
My 'Marie' doesn't have any scent. I read a comment years ago (I think by Susan Irvine) that there seem to be two 'Marie Van Houttes' in Australia. I would be very interested to hear more about this topic.
We had an open garden last year as part of a local fundraiser, and one of the visitors to the garden thought 'Marie Van Houtte' might be the mystery rose growing at the site of an old house in one of his paddocks. We went out to have a look, and I think he was right. What a sight - the old rose flowering away in the middle of stubble and Paterson's Curse. I know, I know - photos!
Maree

newforold

Number of posts : 56
Registration date : 2011-10-06

Back to top Go down

Year two here... Marie Van Houte is starting to creep... Empty Re: Year two here... Marie Van Houte is starting to creep...

Post by Balinbear 19th October 2011, 21:57

Simon

Its a bit hard to work out which rose is in the photo. I suspect it is MJS.

Balinbear
Balinbear

Number of posts : 1459
Registration date : 2010-01-30

Back to top Go down

Post by Balinbear 19th October 2011, 22:25

Maree

Before a storm last year our MVH was about 3 metres high and 7 metres diameter. We had to cut it back a bit but is still about 5 metres diameter and 2 metres tall.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Our flowers are creamy yellow and pink.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
the monster with General Galleni on the right. We have tp keep cutting MVH bacl or she will bury the General.
Balinbear
Balinbear

Number of posts : 1459
Registration date : 2010-01-30

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin 20th October 2011, 07:34

The rose above was bought labelled from Ladybird Roses... I don't doubt the identification... it's just a climatic variation after settling into Tassie and they almost all end up looking this way with little or no colour. I'm hoping mine will take off and grow large like the ones above... I just don't think they, or any of the other Teas I have, will do so here.

I think the next Tea to flower will be 'Papa Gontier' Smile If I can get a good photo of MAYBE 'MME Joseph Schwartz' past all the black spot I'll post her too. Down here a lot of the TEAs like MJS MVH don't open fully either. 'Lorraine Lee' might flower before PG.... it's a slow race atm Wink

Admin

Number of posts : 3750
Registration date : 2008-02-08

http://www.rosetalkaustralia.com

Back to top Go down

Post by newforold 20th October 2011, 18:17

My goodness, Balinbear, I hope my MVH stays about the size she is!
She's planted in a bed against the front verandah!
'Octavus Weld' was the first of the teas to flower for me this year. Climbing 'Devoniensis' was the first to come gloriously into full bloom. We have had a couple of hot days following 2.5 inches of rain and they are all flowering their hearts out now - although Monsieur Tillier is dragging the chain a bit.
Maree

newforold

Number of posts : 56
Registration date : 2011-10-06

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down