Rose Talk Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Watch This Space, more info coming.
by The Lazy Rosarian 21st September 2018, 06:25

» A Rose by any other name ...
by The Lazy Rosarian 17th September 2018, 19:26

» Looking for "St Brigid's Rose"
by The Lazy Rosarian 11th August 2018, 06:50

» And for David while he is away.
by neptune 19th July 2018, 23:57

» Wanting to talk with old roserian friends again, and new roserians friends too !
by rosemeadowtasmania 14th July 2018, 22:54

» Premature Petal dropping- Perth
by rosemeadowtasmania 5th July 2018, 15:27

» Vale: Meryl Constance
by rosemeadowtasmania 5th July 2018, 13:55

» Newbie to roses and forums for that matter!
by Steph 28th June 2018, 09:39

Starting to bloom up slowly

5 posters

Go down

Starting to bloom up slowly Empty Starting to bloom up slowly

Post by paulh 6th October 2012, 00:12

Hi peoples, great to see you are all still here, I've been offline for a while now, trying to downgrade from windows vista to windows XP. Not as easy as i thought it would be on my laptop, thanks to the way toshiba doesn't have any support for XP on this model laptop. Well we got there and I must say it was worth the drama lol

Well the garden and pots are getting more colour even though the weather needs to start doing its thing, and warm up. So a few photos with some brief thoughts.
Abracadabra...typical with its varying colour display
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

My new Karen blixen... knee high to a grasshopper at the moment but put out a nice size bloom...a little dissapointed with its fragrant so far.

Chameleon...never fails to impress me even though its not scented each bloom goes through about 4 colour changes
In just two days this Chameleon has changed some bloom colours significantly, I guess that's why they named it a Chameleon.
Check out the first photo below with the second chameleon photo from above.

Magic Sunset...always gives plenty of blooms

Candy Stripe...I've had this plant for 2 seasons and seemed to always be weedy looking, however it seems to be filling out now.

Fragrant Cloud... is doing it nicely..and wow the scent

Pope John Paul...was in a pot..however this season its got its chance to shine in the garden...I'm expecting this rose to really take off.

Well that's it for now..more to come...

Last edited by paulh on 6th October 2012, 23:16; edited 1 time in total
paulh
paulh

Number of posts : 1065
Registration date : 2012-09-11

http://livingwithroses.weebly.com

Back to top Go down

Starting to bloom up slowly Empty Re: Starting to bloom up slowly

Post by silkyfizz 6th October 2012, 00:24

Lovely blooms Paul. Your garden certainly looks different now that your roses have filled out so nicely. All that hard work has certainly paid off.
I love your Fragrant Cloud and PJP in the way they are well clothed right to the ground. That's what I like....as well as perfume, health, flower form, lasting blooms etc etc LOL.
How are you finding the growth of your roses in the ground compared to pots?
silkyfizz
silkyfizz

Number of posts : 1621
Registration date : 2012-07-21

Back to top Go down

Post by paulh 6th October 2012, 00:57

silkyfizz wrote:Lovely blooms Paul. Your garden certainly looks different now that your roses have filled out so nicely. All that hard work has certainly paid off.
I love your Fragrant Cloud and PJP in the way they are well clothed right to the ground. That's what I like....as well as perfume, health, flower form, lasting blooms etc etc LOL.
How are you finding the growth of your roses in the ground compared to pots?

Ta for that silkyfizz.... I have found that some roses need a couple of seasons to bush up in pots..candy stripe is a prime example for me...so stringy for 2 seasons but this year its filling out...however some take to the pots well and have no problems... I did make an initial mistake by puting some bare rooted roses in the garden (ex south australian) without the fortuniana root stock they just continually struggle to the point that I've put them in pots to try and revive them... hopefully
paulh
paulh

Back to top Go down

Post by Jac2 6th October 2012, 10:04

Ah, finally a plausible explanation as to why some roses seem to do better in pots than in the ground; it’s the fortuniana root stock (why didn’t I thing of that?). I haven’t noticed it with my potted roses, but many members here have commented on this occurrence, and I was puzzled by it, seemed counterintuitive.
Your roses look really healthy Paul, thanks for showing and describing them. My Fragrant Cloud is much lighter in the Brisbane sun, something between a pastel curry- and Hibiscus orange that I haven’t been able to capture in photos. No idea what my camera does to the colour, but it always looks completely different; but I agree with your fragrance assessment.
I used to have a Toshiba and got Windows blues often; but not anymore – all my problems disappeared since I got a MacBook.
Jac2
Jac2

Number of posts : 524
Registration date : 2012-06-29

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lazy Rosarian 6th October 2012, 10:44

Paul sorry to change the subject of roses to operating systems of computers, did you say you went back to XP after vista, why not upto W7
The Lazy Rosarian
The Lazy Rosarian

Number of posts : 5191
Registration date : 2009-01-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Jac2 6th October 2012, 11:05

My bet would be, because he didn’t want to jump from the frying pan into the fire, David.
Jac2
Jac2

Number of posts : 524
Registration date : 2012-06-29

Back to top Go down

Post by Balinbear 6th October 2012, 19:08

Some of our computers at work have been kept on XP as some the software does not work with W7.
Balinbear
Balinbear

Number of posts : 1459
Registration date : 2010-01-30

Back to top Go down

Post by paulh 6th October 2012, 22:04

roseman wrote:Paul sorry to change the subject of roses to operating systems of computers, did you say you went back to XP after vista, why not upto W7

Thanks for your question roseman, I went back to XP for a few reasons, one was a question of $$$, I was given a brand new XP Professional alot cheaper than paying for Windows 7. Since I sold off my desktop and went to a laptop it came preinstalled with Vista, laptops are by nature slower than desktops so you have to throw heaps of Ram (memory) at them, this will help a bit, or you can go back to XP which is a smaller operating system than Vista. It will process things quite a bit faster and isn't as memory hungry as Vista. However when the time comes to upgrade my laptop it will come with Windows 7 or 8 which I've heard has a far better proccessing set up than Vista. So for me my laptop is significantly faster now I recon it was worth the exercise.
paulh
paulh

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down