Rose Talk Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Watch This Space, more info coming.
by The Lazy Rosarian 21st September 2018, 06:25

» A Rose by any other name ...
by The Lazy Rosarian 17th September 2018, 19:26

» Looking for "St Brigid's Rose"
by The Lazy Rosarian 11th August 2018, 06:50

» And for David while he is away.
by neptune 19th July 2018, 23:57

» Wanting to talk with old roserian friends again, and new roserians friends too !
by rosemeadowtasmania 14th July 2018, 22:54

» Premature Petal dropping- Perth
by rosemeadowtasmania 5th July 2018, 15:27

» Vale: Meryl Constance
by rosemeadowtasmania 5th July 2018, 13:55

» Newbie to roses and forums for that matter!
by Steph 28th June 2018, 09:39

Sustainable Rose Garden

4 posters

Go down

Sustainable Rose Garden Empty Sustainable Rose Garden

Post by neptune 1st August 2011, 00:26

I got this book because it was mentioned elsewhere and I thought by the title , it might be good for me

Title: The Sustainable Rose Garden

EDIT: Front cover

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Author(s)/Editors: Edited by Pat Shanley, Peter Kukielski, and Gene Waering

ISBN: 978-1-935149-16-3

Summary: I hate to say this and sound negative , but this is not a book I thought it would be. It is a collation of article from different people about their rose growing. It is not that detailed in there explanation. The most explained article would be the one on Double Knockout roses and how they came about it. Apart from articles , it has watercolors, drawings and rose poems.
If I could have seen this on a bookshop shelf and looked at it before handing the money over, I would not have parted with my money. As I have said before...I learn more from this site than this book could ever impart

Strong points: Not sure if there is one

Weaknesses: Not enough information....the most modern thought is the article on Double knockout( just a side note...my Double Knockout has some leaves with black spot on them....not completely B/S resistant)

Star rating: Gold Star Rating

neptune
neptune

Number of posts : 2450
Registration date : 2010-06-26

Back to top Go down

Sustainable Rose Garden Empty Re: Sustainable Rose Garden

Post by Admin 1st August 2011, 17:26

I know of Gene Waering.... he's a very knowledgeable and well respected rosarian and the person after which Viru's 'Evergreen Gene' was named. It's unfortunate the book didn't work well for you. What were the contents chapters about? Why do you say the ideas weren't modern?

My ordinary 'Knockout' also gets some blackspot but it is a whole lot healthier than most roses. When roses like the 'Knockouts' and 'Babylove' are good they are really really good. When they fail they often do so 'with style'. Personally I don't believe there will ever be a universally immune rose to the range of fungal issues that affect them. Nor do I think it is wise for breeders to pursue this as a goal... I think it's akin to chasing rainbows. I think the most we can ever hope for is a rose that does well where we live and at that particular time. Different strains of fungus and the constant arms race between an organism and its ever evolving and adapting pathogens means that sooner or later disease resistance is likely to break down in most things adn it's up to breeders to continually shift the finishing line to try and keep one step ahead of them. If we happen to breed a rose that does well in a range of different climates that's a bonus in my opinion.

Admin

Number of posts : 3750
Registration date : 2008-02-08

http://www.rosetalkaustralia.com

Back to top Go down

Post by neptune 1st August 2011, 18:16

There are no subjects by the three editors......all they have done is gone to various articles on different subjects and edit them to fit into this book....most of the articles are from people in America and they give history from the 20's and 30's till nearly present day.....

if you want to pm me a address...I will send, ...
neptune
neptune

Number of posts : 2450
Registration date : 2010-06-26

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lazy Rosarian 2nd August 2011, 06:16

Is this not the book Dave C was/did review scratch
The Lazy Rosarian
The Lazy Rosarian

Number of posts : 5191
Registration date : 2009-01-11