Rose Talk Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Watch This Space, more info coming.
by The Lazy Rosarian 21st September 2018, 06:25

» A Rose by any other name ...
by The Lazy Rosarian 17th September 2018, 19:26

» Looking for "St Brigid's Rose"
by The Lazy Rosarian 11th August 2018, 06:50

» And for David while he is away.
by neptune 19th July 2018, 23:57

» Wanting to talk with old roserian friends again, and new roserians friends too !
by rosemeadowtasmania 14th July 2018, 22:54

» Premature Petal dropping- Perth
by rosemeadowtasmania 5th July 2018, 15:27

» Vale: Meryl Constance
by rosemeadowtasmania 5th July 2018, 13:55

» Newbie to roses and forums for that matter!
by Steph 28th June 2018, 09:39

Not really a List, more a desperate want!

+5
Admin
rosemeadow
Balinbear
The Lazy Rosarian
sarah griffin
9 posters

Go down

Not really a List, more a desperate want! Empty Not really a List, more a desperate want!

Post by sarah griffin 19th July 2011, 12:37

Hello, I'm looking for Mme Berard.... just a small twig would be lovely Thumbsup
sarah griffin
sarah griffin

Number of posts : 6
Registration date : 2011-07-16

Back to top Go down

Not really a List, more a desperate want! Empty Re: Not really a List, more a desperate want!

Post by sarah griffin 19th July 2011, 12:47

Just so it doesn't look like a 'one way street', I'm pretty good at striking cuttings. Happy to start of any of mine for people. I have -

Homere
DdB
Rosette de Lizy
SdMLV (climbing)
Carlsruhe Maria Bruhn (ROR)
L`Ouche
Felicia
Susan Louise
Louise Odier
Prolifera de Redoute
SDLM (climbing)
Iceberg
Quatre Saisons.
sarah griffin
sarah griffin

Back to top Go down

Not really a List, more a desperate want! Empty Re: Not really a List, more a desperate want!

Post by The Lazy Rosarian 19th July 2011, 16:24

Sarah, if you go to the rose talk forum and then rose data base, a girl up my way has it, look under 'rosemeadows' list.
The Lazy Rosarian
The Lazy Rosarian

Number of posts : 5191
Registration date : 2009-01-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Balinbear 19th July 2011, 17:34

Sarah

Mme Berard in Oz is not really Mme Berard it is thought to be 'E. Veyrath Hermanos'

Whatever it is it is a nice climber.
Balinbear
Balinbear

Number of posts : 1459
Registration date : 2010-01-30

Back to top Go down

Post by rosemeadow 19th July 2011, 23:49

Yes, I have the one that Balinbear mentioned, also my friend does.
I could send some cuttings through the mail.
What is the rose Carlsruhe Maria Bruhn ?

rosemeadow

Number of posts : 902

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lazy Rosarian 20th July 2011, 06:26

Karen, best I can come up with is it is 'found' rose and is over at Ruston's.
Maybe Sarah come shed some light on this rose, please.
The Lazy Rosarian
The Lazy Rosarian

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin 21st July 2011, 18:52

Sarah... I must say... you have impeccable taste in roses Cool Does your L'Ouche ever set hips?

Admin

Number of posts : 3750
Registration date : 2008-02-08

http://www.rosetalkaustralia.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Bonita18 22nd July 2011, 17:26

Sarah
I grow Madam Berard and like it a lot.
Bonita

Bonita18

Number of posts : 264
Registration date : 2010-12-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Carole 22nd July 2011, 21:49

Gee you have some great roses there Sarah.
Carole
Carole

Number of posts : 1034
Registration date : 2009-04-16

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lazy Rosarian 23rd July 2011, 07:51

Sarah, can I ask why the interest in this rose and how you happened upon it scratch
The Lazy Rosarian
The Lazy Rosarian

Back to top Go down

Post by AutumnDamask 23rd July 2011, 14:06

sarah griffin wrote:Hello, I'm looking for Mme Berard.... just a small twig would be lovely Thumbsup
Mistydowns have it listed in their catalogue too. Smile
AutumnDamask
AutumnDamask

Number of posts : 1360
Registration date : 2011-06-08

Back to top Go down

Post by Balinbear 23rd July 2011, 18:57

I received an email from margaret Furness and she said "Carlsruhe Maria Bruhn" is a found rose suspected of being the true Tea rose Mlle de Sombreuil (not the climber sold as Sombreuil).

I did have a cutting plant of it of it but it did not make it through the wet last year.
Balinbear
Balinbear

Back to top Go down

Post by sarah griffin 23rd July 2011, 22:11

Sorry to 'lurk' not post, in the last couple of days (Wed to Sat, not great for me!). Yes, Carlsrhue Maria Brahn thought to be Mlle de Sombreuil from 1850-1851 - white flushed with red - height 2 metres(crap!). websites lost in time/sloppy paper trail.... My bad! Thank you all for connecting, I will have time to post more tomorrow. The rose originally came from Deb Kelly about two years ago. First spring blooms were disappointing - this rose was so overlooked/neglected, but was a trojen and shot up to goodness knows how many feet (four-five), autumn flowers (late) were, magnificent!!! Healthy growth, 'huge' tea, no black spot coastally. Shocked

sarah griffin
sarah griffin

Back to top Go down

Post by Balinbear 23rd July 2011, 22:27

Sarah

Deb gave me the one I had as well. Have you heard from her at all recently.

Gary
Balinbear
Balinbear

Back to top Go down

Post by rosemeadow 23rd July 2011, 23:06

Sarah, I definitely would like to swap cuttings for a bit of budwood from your Carlsruhe Maria Bruhn. I will try to grow some cuttings of it too for you.
Bruce, I am hoping if Sarah sent you the budwood at the right time you could bud me a plant of Carlsruhe Maria Bruhn and then I would buy the plant off you ? How does this sound Sarah ?

rosemeadow

Number of posts : 902

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozeboy 4th September 2011, 18:34

Sarah, I would be pleased to bud 'Carlsruhe Maria Bruhn' for whoever wants one. Karen no need to buy will gift these on to whoever, just pay postage please.

Sara the budwood to select is on new growth canes. Tea roses have very small buds so it is a great help if the larger new growth buds on new canes are selected. Just send when the growth is vigorous your end for I always have understocks available.

I am in Sydney so would call and pick buds myself if you are happy to have an old (Gentleman ?) rose grower call.
Somberuil is growing here but I have not seen the red splashes on it as mentioned during an execution in the French Revolution. I'd love to see it in bloom.

Deb Kelly is very particular keeping roses and names absolutely correct so I would think her to be 100% correct.

Please PM me if you wish to help.

Ozeboy

Number of posts : 1673
Registration date : 2008-12-28

Back to top Go down

Post by sarah griffin 15th September 2011, 21:52

Good thing I look after animals for a job and can grow plants, cause I'm hopeless with machinery.... this is the fourth time I've tried to reply to you Bruce! (two PM's and a draft I saved that's 'vanished'). Anyway, to summarise my previous replys... I would love a 'gentleman rose caller'. We have bought a new house very suddenly and I have been replanting into pots what I can't bear to leave behind.
The CMB/Mme Sombrueil is already repotted and has about a dozen flowers coming along, first one will be fully open tomorrow. If you want to drive to Bondi, you are more than welcome to babysit for a couple of years and do with it as you will. Must warn you though, it was very neglected early last year, once a bit of TLC was dispensed it turned into a triffid, then I fell on it and really managed to reduce it's size. It's on it's own roots and is very healthy, so if nobody is in a great hurry I'm sure 'Ozeboy' can take it in hand and help everyone out. Please email or PM me and we'll organise a 'date'.
To everyone who offered me cuttings or advice on where to obtain Mme Berard - thankyou! I now have about 65 pots we are taking with us from our current garden.... including many cuttings. I also inherit 11 roses in the new front garden (suspect they may be all Iceberg)... anyone want them? I will happily pay postage (within reason), hate culling. So, I will wait to see how our move goes, see what I have inherited or how I garden in Randwick, and then plan...very excited.
Simon, I'm very sorry I can't tell you about L'Ouche, I've only had for two years and I was religously dead-heading as I was training it up a fence. It has been one of the casualty's that the cuttings did not take and I'm unable to transplant. Oh well!

Last edited by sarah griffin on 15th September 2011, 21:53; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : spelling mistake)
sarah griffin
sarah griffin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin 15th September 2011, 22:06

No worries, Sarah. let me know when you've settled in and I will see if I can strike a cutting or two of my new L'Ouche and I'll send it on up to you Smile

Admin

Number of posts : 3750
Registration date : 2008-02-08

http://www.rosetalkaustralia.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down