Rose Talk Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Watch This Space, more info coming.
by The Lazy Rosarian 21st September 2018, 06:25

» A Rose by any other name ...
by The Lazy Rosarian 17th September 2018, 19:26

» Looking for "St Brigid's Rose"
by The Lazy Rosarian 11th August 2018, 06:50

» And for David while he is away.
by neptune 19th July 2018, 23:57

» Wanting to talk with old roserian friends again, and new roserians friends too !
by rosemeadowtasmania 14th July 2018, 22:54

» Premature Petal dropping- Perth
by rosemeadowtasmania 5th July 2018, 15:27

» Vale: Meryl Constance
by rosemeadowtasmania 5th July 2018, 13:55

» Newbie to roses and forums for that matter!
by Steph 28th June 2018, 09:39

Bitter Teas

+2
wphvet
Billndee
6 posters

Go down

Bitter Teas Empty Bitter Teas

Post by Billndee 1st December 2010, 14:54

Hi Simon and everyone. I haven't had anything to say for a long time but I have a few things to say now. Right here I will talk about how my new tea roses are going in my southern Tasmanian garden.
Not good.
I bought Maman Cochet, Duchesse de Brabant, Rosette Delizy and General Shablakine. They are in their second summer now but are not looking too good. Maman nd the Duchesse especially are dropping leaves and looking yellow and unthrifty. I have given them lots of humus and fertilizer.
So I wonder what the problem may be. Other roses near them are growing well so I don't question the soil. All that is left is the climate I think, but we have been having lovely warm days interspersed with soft soaking rains, with the result that the rest of the garden generally is looking the best ever.
Another possibility is thay may have exhausted themselves producing masses of flowers out of proportion to the size if the bushes.
So, is this a general problem with Tea roses?

Billndee

Number of posts : 403
Registration date : 2008-02-23

Back to top Go down

Bitter Teas Empty Re: Bitter Teas

Post by wphvet 1st December 2010, 17:46

Hi,
I often find first season plants look good,with lots of flowers and then next season look exhausted.I suspect they were flowering on in built reserves rather than nutrition from undeveloped root systems.
Then they stabilise their roots and move along sometime in that second year,especially in the autumn,
My suggestion is hang in there,Teas love Autumn.

wphvet

Number of posts : 50
Registration date : 2009-08-26

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin 1st December 2010, 20:32

Dee!!!! Hug

It's great to hear from you again Smile

You know that the good Duchesse (aka 'Comtesse de Labarthe'), has drooping leaves normally, coloured a kind of limey green at the best of times. My Teas are a mixed bunch too.. I also think depends on the clone you get and where it comes from Wink

Admin

Number of posts : 3750
Registration date : 2008-02-08

http://www.rosetalkaustralia.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Balinbear 1st December 2010, 21:29

Obviously, your soil is too good and your climate suits roses plus any number of reasons why your location should suit.

Teas appear to like rotten weather (for roses) poor soil (PH low 4s to 5)plus other conditions that make it near impossible to grow DAs or hybrd teas.

I love the Huon Valley (we were there for an hour once when driving down to be amazed with the DAs at the Perfumed Garden ) but I have read in the HRA Journal that teas do reasonably well in northern Tasmania but not so the southern half. You may be pushing their limit.
Balinbear
Balinbear

Number of posts : 1459
Registration date : 2010-01-30

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin 1st December 2010, 22:48

There is a stand of Monsieur Tillier at Port Arthur.. pictured in teh Tea book... some Teas do well here.. just a matter of finding which ones.My M. Tillier is great as is Lorraine Lee and I think Lady Hillingdon wold be happy... One other is doing well, whose names escapes me at the moment...

Admin

Number of posts : 3750
Registration date : 2008-02-08

http://www.rosetalkaustralia.com

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lazy Rosarian 2nd December 2010, 03:54

Dee as mentioned by Warren M in another thread, he cuts all the flowers off his seedling roses and some of the older ones to promote the bush and not to use all the energy into the flower, this should also be advantagous for the root system, could give this a thought.
The Lazy Rosarian
The Lazy Rosarian

Number of posts : 5191
Registration date : 2009-01-11

Back to top Go down

Post by tearose49 18th January 2011, 16:53

I found with teas here, that they tend to go dormant in hot weather until they are fully mature. For at least 5 years, Rubens only bloomed during our rainy winters.

tearose49

Number of posts : 21
Registration date : 2010-12-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down