Rose Talk Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Watch This Space, more info coming.
by The Lazy Rosarian 21st September 2018, 06:25

» A Rose by any other name ...
by The Lazy Rosarian 17th September 2018, 19:26

» Looking for "St Brigid's Rose"
by The Lazy Rosarian 11th August 2018, 06:50

» And for David while he is away.
by neptune 19th July 2018, 23:57

» Wanting to talk with old roserian friends again, and new roserians friends too !
by rosemeadowtasmania 14th July 2018, 22:54

» Premature Petal dropping- Perth
by rosemeadowtasmania 5th July 2018, 15:27

» Vale: Meryl Constance
by rosemeadowtasmania 5th July 2018, 13:55

» Newbie to roses and forums for that matter!
by Steph 28th June 2018, 09:39

Daisies thread... show us your daisies of all kinds :)

5 posters

Go down

Daisies thread... show us your daisies of all kinds :) Empty Daisies thread... show us your daisies of all kinds :)

Post by Admin 6th November 2010, 20:28

Thought I'd start a daisies thread in the hope that it becomes as popular and extensive as the bearded iris thread. Daisies are one of my favourite rose companions. They are easy to grow, look great almost all the time, are easy to maintain and are great hole fillers in the garden as well as doubling as specimen plants or borders... and they photograph really well too...

Here's some to kick it off:

My favourite daisy.. not sure what type it is but it has lovely silvery foliage and creamy flowers and it spreads quickly to form a low mat under my roses that resists weeds. I just love the way it follows the gaps and fills them in.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

My second favourite daisy is Chamomile... I was thinking the first one might be a type of chamomile but can't be sure. This one is the real chamomile... just had some chamomile tea actually Smile

Daisies of all kinds are great in the garden as they attract all the right kinds of bugs... these hoverflies lay eggs on my roses and a green grub hatches that loves to eat aphids... they are voracious actually.

This one is a specimen plant that is going to be cut back hard tomorrow so I can propagate more of it to spread around the garden. That's another thing I love about daisies... you can hack them to pieces and they still grow back with a lovely shape Smile

Got a few more around the place that I'll photograph as time permits. In the mean time show us your daisies flower

Admin

Number of posts : 3750
Registration date : 2008-02-08

http://www.rosetalkaustralia.com

Back to top Go down

Daisies thread... show us your daisies of all kinds :) Empty Re: Daisies thread... show us your daisies of all kinds :)

Post by The Estate 8th November 2010, 12:47

Is this enough, I have more Laughing

The Estate
The Estate

Number of posts : 498
Registration date : 2010-06-03

Back to top Go down

Daisies thread... show us your daisies of all kinds :) Empty Re: Daisies thread... show us your daisies of all kinds :)

Post by orchid40 8th November 2010, 13:13

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Yes, they do make nice companions for roses Smile

orchid40

Number of posts : 622
Registration date : 2008-02-10

http://orchid40-valsobsession-orchid40.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin 8th November 2010, 22:46

Great Photos ladies Thumbsup TheE... you have some lovely ones there.

Admin

Number of posts : 3750
Registration date : 2008-02-08

http://www.rosetalkaustralia.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Abbi 8th November 2010, 23:46

What a lovely thread. Great pics, Simon. Lovely collection of colours,Cheryl.
Good example of underplanting Val.

Must get some more daisies. They might be easier to control than forget me not and alyssum, although I do love them under roses too.

Abbi

Number of posts : 254
Registration date : 2008-02-24

Back to top Go down

Post by The Estate 9th November 2010, 08:14

I find forget me nots a weed Twisted Evil
The Estate
The Estate

Back to top Go down

Post by Abbi 9th November 2010, 14:46

I like the look of them when they are fresh and new, but later they get mildew and look skanky.

I have lost a new rose in them somewhere too....I've searched and searched...I'm sure I put a new Duchess de Brabant in that bed!

Abbi

Number of posts : 254
Registration date : 2008-02-24

Back to top Go down

Post by shamous o'reily 10th November 2010, 08:58

I love the shape and the 2-tone effect of the last two you posted from 'the estate'. They look quite shriking. Would love to know the names of them.

shamous o'reily

Number of posts : 59
Registration date : 2010-09-30

Back to top Go down

Post by The Estate 10th November 2010, 13:28

shamous o'reily wrote:I love the shape and the 2-tone effect of the last two you posted from 'the estate'. They look quite shriking. Would love to know the names of them.

Sorry no idea, the very last is a fairly common one, I dont have it anymore, I ripped it out Embarassed ANd the creamy pin wheel went to god, buy should not be hard to find Suspect
The Estate
The Estate

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down