Rose Talk Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Watch This Space, more info coming.
by The Lazy Rosarian 21st September 2018, 06:25

» A Rose by any other name ...
by The Lazy Rosarian 17th September 2018, 19:26

» Looking for "St Brigid's Rose"
by The Lazy Rosarian 11th August 2018, 06:50

» And for David while he is away.
by neptune 19th July 2018, 23:57

» Wanting to talk with old roserian friends again, and new roserians friends too !
by rosemeadowtasmania 14th July 2018, 22:54

» Premature Petal dropping- Perth
by rosemeadowtasmania 5th July 2018, 15:27

» Vale: Meryl Constance
by rosemeadowtasmania 5th July 2018, 13:55

» Newbie to roses and forums for that matter!
by Steph 28th June 2018, 09:39

Why do roses die young?

3 posters

Go down

Why do roses die young? Empty Why do roses die young?

Post by Dave 31st October 2010, 08:23

With all the rosy glory now spreading across Australia I hate to touch on the inevitable - death. I do have some roses that are over 30 years old - Apricot nectar, for example. But my Alister Clarks are relatively short-lived - about 10 years. Kitty K died over winter, and before that Cicely Lascelles a year ago. They just got weaker each year, with lots of die back. They were on pillars in the vegie garden so got lots of TLC.
Any ideas?

Dave

Number of posts : 336
Registration date : 2009-04-18

Back to top Go down

Why do roses die young? Empty Re: Why do roses die young?

Post by Guest 31st October 2010, 11:03

My instinct would be to try them again on their own roots.

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozeboy 31st October 2010, 12:33

Dave, wish I could throw light on this problem. I have had HT's on Dr Huey last 25 years though they became progressivly less vigorous after about 10 years. Two years ago I regrafted these on Multiflora and these new plants are very vigorous.No doubt they will decline and become worthless over time. When these declining plants are moved to new plots they pick up but are never the same as new plants. The Cecile Brunner on Multiflora over 30 years old shows no sign of declining so it would appear the sion or grafted rose has a long or short life.

I do visit an old nursery set up in the 1970's, some own root and others grafted. They are all suffering from cane rot and borers seem to like them all. When the plants go through a period of hard times through neglect or drought there is no new growth and the existing canes become old and unproductive. This is the danger period as canes rot and the new growth from the roots does not appear despite every effort to revive them.
There is short new growth from the ends of almost dead canes which can result in a new bloom. Seems the roots can't support growth except for the thin tip growth. This is where I have taken buds just prior to the plant dying. These buds have gone on to produce vigourous plants.

I do believe most modern roses need replacing every now and again to grow them at their best. This season I have decided to use some complete fertilised like hydroponic solution once the roots are fully developed . Have seen some great gardens where hydroponics are used. Some of the best shiny leaf camelias I have ever seen were grown in this manner.

The fact that some of your plants die despite having a lot of TLC suggests that is the genetical life of these plants. Could be environmental or lack of nutrients, PH or a combination of both, Who knows except that I do know HT's have an attractive look up to 10 years then they need replacing. How many of those poor looking old woody Queen Elizabeths are still growing in gardens that should be replaced.

Haven't helped much to solve your problem but an old expert like you might get something from my notes.

Bruce

Ozeboy

Number of posts : 1673
Registration date : 2008-12-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 31st October 2010, 16:36

dave

i prune some roses for freinds of mine which are around 80years old, they were extremely woody. the first pruning was pretty severe , stimulating rejuvination of young canes from the base, over 4/5 years these rose now have wood of a 2 year , mind you before such a hard prune , they must be fertilized and very healthy.

says a lot for the old roses, i was discussing the loss of vigour in some moderns to doug haynes a few weeks ago. i bought some roses from a well known rose grower, i think about 5 in all , have one left which is about to be shoveled, all came down with canker. as OZEBOY was saying , the importance of feeding them is quite important, they can be hungry buggers, and the rewards will be given back.

Back to top Go down

Post by Barbara B 31st October 2010, 18:01

Hi,
I must say that I'm probably going to lose a fair few modern roses this year.
They were hard pruned just before the drought summer and didn't recover very well after that. Then the bad summer...... This last pruning has been a very gentle prune but I have a good dozen in the front bed with dieback and just not thriving. They've all been treated the same. Some are being targetted by rabbits!!!! Pesky varmints. I think I'm going to replace them later with older (perhaps Tea) roses.
Barbara B

Barbara B

Number of posts : 429
Registration date : 2009-05-14

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 31st October 2010, 18:39

with all the rain about theses days, depending on how many needing treatment , i would give them a feed of liquid fertilizer( aquasol/ thrive) two of the measure spoons they provide in a 9lt watering can, the advantage of this is its taken up very quickly by the plant, give them a go , if they dont pick up then replace them, about the rabbits send them up my way i have a good recipe for them.

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave 31st October 2010, 19:20

Thanks for all the interesting comments. Now that I plant roses very deeply I'm hoping their own roots will ensure a long life! Both these defunct roses had the bud union well above ground. Now they go 10-30 cm deep and seem to be happy. Time will tell. But it's always sad to see roses die before their time - whatever that is pale

Dave

Number of posts : 336
Registration date : 2009-04-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Barbara B 31st October 2010, 19:23

Hi,
if I could catch them, I'd eat them too. I have seven dogs who think they're lovely little creatures. Chase??? They follow them, wagging their tails. They've already had a long-lasting Osmocate and some blood and bone. I'll try the fertilizer but they don't look good.
Barbara B

Barbara B

Number of posts : 429
Registration date : 2009-05-14

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down