Rose Talk Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Watch This Space, more info coming.
by The Lazy Rosarian 21st September 2018, 06:25

» A Rose by any other name ...
by The Lazy Rosarian 17th September 2018, 19:26

» Looking for "St Brigid's Rose"
by The Lazy Rosarian 11th August 2018, 06:50

» And for David while he is away.
by neptune 19th July 2018, 23:57

» Wanting to talk with old roserian friends again, and new roserians friends too !
by rosemeadowtasmania 14th July 2018, 22:54

» Premature Petal dropping- Perth
by rosemeadowtasmania 5th July 2018, 15:27

» Vale: Meryl Constance
by rosemeadowtasmania 5th July 2018, 13:55

» Newbie to roses and forums for that matter!
by Steph 28th June 2018, 09:39

Roses & Geums...

4 posters

Go down

Roses & Geums... Empty Roses & Geums...

Post by Guest 30th January 2010, 00:59

As well as roses, I collect & grow geums & I plant these under & around my potted roses. Both grow very well together & I think the geums help the roses by keeping their roots cool, they use any excess moisture (rare thing these days LOL) & they let me know when the roses require water (by wilting slightly) well before the roses become stressed. The smaller growers don't take over & they add interest to the pots when the roses are dormant. The roses help keep the geums happy by shading them during summer.

Back to top Go down

Roses & Geums... Empty Re: Roses & Geums...

Post by Admin 30th January 2010, 01:23

photos!

Admin

Number of posts : 3750
Registration date : 2008-02-08

http://www.rosetalkaustralia.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 30th January 2010, 02:01

Cannot sleep so I will try & find some photos! LOL

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 30th January 2010, 02:28

I went outside & took some pics of the roses & geums (and got a slug between my toes for my effort haha) but I still cannot get the pics from my camera to my computer for some reason!

I will look through my existing photos & see if I can find some suitable pics until better ones are possible!

For starters, the pic below is of Geum "Flames of Passion" growing under "Just Joey" & a rose that is supposed to be "Bernina" (you can just see the geum foliage above the bloom of "Bernina" bottom left...I hope):

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

I hope it shows clearly what I am talking about because I can't see the photo large enough to see if it does & it is not showing fully in the preview! Dunno

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 30th January 2010, 02:56

I grow lots of things - both small and large - amongst & through my potted roses. The group of plants pictured below grows with "Just Joey", "Bernina", "Scouts Honor", "Julia's Rose", "Peppermint Twist", "Nozomi", "Blackberry Blossom", "Tivoli" (underplanted with Geum "Cooky"), "Nicola", "Nearly Wild", "Starlight Rose", "Marjorie Atherton", "Green Ice", "Snow Carpet", "Crepuscule" (underplanted with Geum rivale älbum [water avens]), 3 of my own seedlings & a few others. At night there are lots of little frogs amongst it all:

Back to top Go down

Post by orchid40 30th January 2010, 17:10

Very nice Damo. Are the under[plantings actually in the pots with the roses?
I have numerous self- seeded Four o' clocks in my rose pots. They do look nice but they are too much competition for the roses. Their roots go so deep I can't get them out at the moment. When I repot the roses I'll get them out.

orchid40

Number of posts : 622
Registration date : 2008-02-10

http://orchid40-valsobsession-orchid40.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 30th January 2010, 19:33

Thanks orchid40! Smile

I have plants growing in the same pots as the roses & I have pots of just mixed plants (with no roses) in amongst them as well.

For some reason I grow better roses in pots than in the open garden but the climate here is pretty harsh & the wildlife is brutal. Neighbours animals (ponies & 20+ geese also take their toll when they visit grrrr). I have just spent the arvo putting up a wire fence because my "Cecile Brunner" & "Perfume Delight" got mauled last night. My rugosas copped a trimming too...

I am very fond of Four o'clocks but they do go deep hey & yes, once they get a hold they do take over & are hard to remove without a great deal of effort & disturbance!

Back to top Go down

Post by orchid40 30th January 2010, 22:07

A lot of my roses are in pots because the soil here is just awful - sand and limestone. I've replaced the soil in 2 big beds with garden mixture and half my roses are in there, but the other half are in big pots. I'd love to get them into the ground but it just isn't possible.

orchid40

Number of posts : 622
Registration date : 2008-02-10

http://orchid40-valsobsession-orchid40.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 30th January 2010, 23:42

Sounds familiar as well...I think the soil on my property changes every few metres though! I never know what I am going to get when I sink a spade in! LOL

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin 31st January 2010, 00:40

I can't grow roses in pots... it's a certain death sentence... just too much to do around here to have to worry about trying to keep pots properly watered Rolling Eyes Everything here goes into the ground eventually.

Admin

Number of posts : 3750
Registration date : 2008-02-08

http://www.rosetalkaustralia.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 31st January 2010, 01:13

My potted roses are right at the back door under lights & near the tap & if they weren't I think things would be very different. I enjoy tending them at night (when it is cool & the frogs are out). I would much prefer to plant a lot of them in the ground (and I will again in time) but I need to sort a lot of things out first.

Back to top Go down

Post by Ripley 2nd February 2010, 09:26

Your pots look so healthy Damo. Youve encouraged me to get out and rescue mine today as its a bit cooler and Im not running around like a headless chook. I love geums and only recently found out there is more to them than just Mrs Bradshaw (although i do love her) My fav atm is pink frills with the lovely antiquey (yes its a word!...now) pink flowers.
Ripley
Ripley

Number of posts : 184
Registration date : 2009-06-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2nd February 2010, 17:35

Hi Ripley,

I love "Pink Frills" too...a real stunner! I have about a dozen different geum & lots of seedlings I am watching (hoping for something different LOL).

Due to wildlife I have had to save some of my roses in the heat of summer & all have done very well. I just trim them back, soak them in a bucket of water overnight, plant them in large enough pots in 1/2 potting mix & 1/2 garden soil, keep them shaded & moist for a couple of weeks then I gradually move them out into the sunlight. All have done very well. Too easy...

Happy gardening! Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Carole 2nd February 2010, 21:49

Simon, I am glad that I am not the only one that can't grow Roses or much else for that matter in pots. I have a nasty idea that it is because I forget to water them Dunno
Carole
Carole

Number of posts : 1034
Registration date : 2009-04-16

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 5th February 2010, 05:05

More mixing & matching:

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down