Rose Talk Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Watch This Space, more info coming.
by The Lazy Rosarian 21st September 2018, 06:25

» A Rose by any other name ...
by The Lazy Rosarian 17th September 2018, 19:26

» Looking for "St Brigid's Rose"
by The Lazy Rosarian 11th August 2018, 06:50

» And for David while he is away.
by neptune 19th July 2018, 23:57

» Wanting to talk with old roserian friends again, and new roserians friends too !
by rosemeadowtasmania 14th July 2018, 22:54

» Premature Petal dropping- Perth
by rosemeadowtasmania 5th July 2018, 15:27

» Vale: Meryl Constance
by rosemeadowtasmania 5th July 2018, 13:55

» Newbie to roses and forums for that matter!
by Steph 28th June 2018, 09:39

Tea rose choice

3 posters

Go down

Tea rose choice Empty Tea rose choice

Post by Billndee 15th April 2009, 21:01

I have been trying to decide on a selection of Tea roses to order for this winter.
My reqirements are big double flowers, strong perfume, and quick repeat of flowering. I also want the bushes to look like shrubs, not a bundle of thorny sticks.
I have come up with this list:
Marie Ven Houtte
Devoniensis
Hugo Roller
Maman Cochet
Mme Lombard
Mrs. B. R. Cant
Souvenier de Elise Vardon
I would also like one to grow up through a pittosporum bush.
What do you think? Have I got a good list? I would really appreciate some info on the best ones to buy.

Billndee

Number of posts : 403
Registration date : 2008-02-23

Back to top Go down

Tea rose choice Empty Re: Tea rose choice

Post by Ozeboy 16th April 2009, 16:43

Billndee, Suggest you buy the Tea Book, has a page on recomended varieties and another Teas suitable for particular situations.
It's a great wealth of information and a must for anyone wishing to grow them. I am new to Tea roses but have seen enough to make me realise they are great evergreen shrubs that have flushes all year in my climate.
They are not to be pruned but just deadheaded and any dead wood removed. There is very little dead wood as unlike HT's they do not have continuous fungus infected canes to cut away.
Deb Kelly has a magnificent display of Teas and has become very knowledgeable in choosing and growing them.
I notice you do budding so try Rustons this coming season.

Marie Van Houtte, Marman Cochet and Mrs BR Cant are on the recomended list but you will have to buy the book to get the best ones mentioned.

Ozeboy

Number of posts : 1673
Registration date : 2008-12-28

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lazy Rosarian 16th April 2009, 18:46

Ozeboy, you might need to go back a bit on the forum somewhere. Dee has got better advice than the book, she is in contact with one of the authors and has been given the one's that she should try first.
The Lazy Rosarian
The Lazy Rosarian

Number of posts : 5191
Registration date : 2009-01-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Billndee 16th April 2009, 22:27

Thank you friends. yes, i did get some useful advice and I am going to get General Shablikine. M. Tillier was also recommended but I saw an example of it at New Norfolk Tas and that bush seemed to be struggling. M. Tillier also had no perfume that I could detect.
Also, I want to get a few more varieties, so that is why I posed the question again to the forum.
The Tea book is definitely on my list to buy. I hope to read a librlary copy in the meantime.

Billndee

Number of posts : 403
Registration date : 2008-02-23

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozeboy 18th April 2009, 20:59

Roseman, if Dee has better advice than the book then I want to get my money back. Your post suggests those naughty Tea Bags have held back a lot of information. It's a wonderful book as is but with all that extra information would be even better. Perhaps we will see a reprint in the future. JUST JOKING.
REALISTICALY I am sure there would have been new developements and extra information to hand even before the book was released by the publisher.

Ozeboy

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lazy Rosarian 19th April 2009, 06:53

Bruce, No, my post only says that with a bit of diligent homework from me I found how to contact them and one replied. If we all asked Question the book would not be released as it would be to large. The Question that was put to them was in their opinion which teas would be suitable for Tasmania and her location. As Dee said, she got the advice and is going to try some others, If you ask them, they might advise you on the one's that they thing would suit you.
The Lazy Rosarian
The Lazy Rosarian

Number of posts : 5191
Registration date : 2009-01-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozeboy 20th May 2009, 11:28

Roseman, I have the book, page 64 and 65 shows recommended varieties.
China is hot and very humid so is the whole east coast of Oz. These roses grow well in China from which they originated. Their climate is similar to mine so climate is not a worry when choosing. Dee did well to contact them as one day she might see an iceberg floating by. Tassie is the last land point to the bottom of the world perhaps with the exception of South America.
I wouldn't contact the "Tea Bags" as probably everyone in the world with Email access would be doing that. If they are like me time and privacy is most valuable.

This brings up our old favourite topic, poor plant labeling and plants sold that will not grow in the area which they are sold. Some of the English and European roses will grow well from Greenland to Panima if one is to believe the deliberate lack of information on the labels.

Ozeboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down