Rose Talk Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Watch This Space, more info coming.
by The Lazy Rosarian 21st September 2018, 06:25

» A Rose by any other name ...
by The Lazy Rosarian 17th September 2018, 19:26

» Looking for "St Brigid's Rose"
by The Lazy Rosarian 11th August 2018, 06:50

» And for David while he is away.
by neptune 19th July 2018, 23:57

» Wanting to talk with old roserian friends again, and new roserians friends too !
by rosemeadowtasmania 14th July 2018, 22:54

» Premature Petal dropping- Perth
by rosemeadowtasmania 5th July 2018, 15:27

» Vale: Meryl Constance
by rosemeadowtasmania 5th July 2018, 13:55

» Newbie to roses and forums for that matter!
by Steph 28th June 2018, 09:39

First Rose In Old Parliament House Rose Gardens

+4
silkyfizz
SueH
Dimity Cottage
dennisd
8 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

First Rose In Old Parliament House Rose Gardens Empty First Rose In Old Parliament House Rose Gardens

Post by dennisd 18th September 2013, 17:54

Well blow me down we now have our first rose in the OPH Rose Gardens Canberra. The last rose was pruned off mid August and now one month later we have our first a beautiful white rose. I will take my camera tomorrow. Many other pics to follow.
Dennis:
cheers cheers

dennisd

Number of posts : 73
Registration date : 2013-08-20

Back to top Go down

First Rose In Old Parliament House Rose Gardens Empty Re: First Rose In Old Parliament House Rose Gardens

Post by Dimity Cottage 18th September 2013, 19:02

Oh Dennis, You are so lucky to be working there, can't wait to see your photos. Photographer
Dimity Cottage
Dimity Cottage

Number of posts : 333
Registration date : 2013-09-01

Back to top Go down

First Rose In Old Parliament House Rose Gardens Empty Re: First Rose In Old Parliament House Rose Gardens

Post by SueH 18th September 2013, 19:09

Ah, the first rose is always so welcome and exciting! Gold Star Rating 

SueH

Number of posts : 737
Registration date : 2013-06-06

Back to top Go down

Post by silkyfizz 18th September 2013, 21:09

Looking forward to seeing your photos Dennis and looking forward to seeing my first roses of the season in my garden too. I'm always impatient at this time of the year. Buds are there but waiting....
silkyfizz
silkyfizz

Number of posts : 1621
Registration date : 2012-07-21

Back to top Go down

Post by Balinbear 18th September 2013, 23:20

New Government new rose I guess.
Balinbear
Balinbear

Number of posts : 1459
Registration date : 2010-01-30

Back to top Go down

Post by Ausrose 19th September 2013, 03:54

Normaly my first rose of the year is Kardinal but this year it was the new Rose Society of NSW centennial celebration rose 100 Not Out.

Ausrose

Number of posts : 1318
Registration date : 2012-01-26

Back to top Go down

Post by dennisd 20th September 2013, 22:14

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]Climbing rose Jessie Clark
Dennis

dennisd

Back to top Go down

Post by dennisd 20th September 2013, 22:22

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] Gold Bunny Dennis

dennisd

Back to top Go down

Post by dennisd 20th September 2013, 22:31

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] 80 plus year old roses in front of Old Parliament House Canberra, showing Gold Bunny with first flower on 19 9 13 Dennis

dennisd

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lazy Rosarian 21st September 2013, 05:51

Great shots Dennis, what style of roses are on the standards in this shot please
The Lazy Rosarian
The Lazy Rosarian

Number of posts : 5191
Registration date : 2009-01-11

Back to top Go down

Post by dennisd 21st September 2013, 11:45

Without checking I think all the Standards are hybrid tea's. But I will check and get back to you. There are buds on lots of roses so within two to three weeks we will have a huge range of roses flowering.
Dennis

dennisd

Back to top Go down

Post by Dimity Cottage 21st September 2013, 12:08

Lovely to see your first Roses for the season Dennis, you must feel so proud. Hope to get down there some time to look around your garden.
Have a great Week End... First Rose In Old Parliament House Rose Gardens 3028820582
Dimity Cottage
Dimity Cottage

Back to top Go down

Post by dennisd 21st September 2013, 12:17

Dimity, Thanks, it is exciting at the moment but we are very busy mulching at the moment. It is a painfully slow process doing thousands of roses and we have had lots of rain. I checked yesterday and saw the first aphids so within a fortnight I will have to spray through and then do the roses at least each six weeks to prevent attack. Black spot and powdery mildew will be a problem as well due the wet spring. The roses are so clean at the moment it keeping them so will take the time.
Cheers
Dennis

dennisd

Back to top Go down

Post by dennisd 21st September 2013, 12:19

Dimity, Forgot to add you are most welcome in Canberra or to call into Braidwood at any time. Would love to show you over our beautiful gardens.
Cheers
Dennis

dennisd

Back to top Go down

Post by Dimity Cottage 21st September 2013, 12:30

Thanks Dennis will let you know when coming down that way. You certainly have a job ahead of you, I don't envoy you. And oh, how I hate Aphids, but if you can get a good spraying program going I am sure you can get on top of them & the Black Spot. Here you are getting to much rain & we need more, funny world, this world of gardening.
Happy Gardening. Digger
Dimity Cottage
Dimity Cottage

Back to top Go down

Post by dennisd 21st September 2013, 12:36

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] Volunteers working in Rex Hazlewood Garden OPH Canbeera. Foreground Alister clark roses, along path hybrid tea's left of path Rugosa's, Center Hybrid Damask's.
Dennis

dennisd

Back to top Go down

Post by Dimity Cottage 23rd September 2013, 19:02

This garden must be very pretty when in flower, and the perfume lovely. I wish we had smellerinternet.
I would love to be a Volunteer in such a lovely garden, I must enquire here if there is somewhere I can be of help in a garden.
First Rose In Old Parliament House Rose Gardens 3528955085
Dimity Cottage
Dimity Cottage

Back to top Go down

Post by dennisd 23rd September 2013, 19:29

Dimity, I spent a couple of hours in this garden today. It is starting to look amazing. A lot of the roses are in full bud so lots of flowers very soon. I tied most of the climbers back to the trellises today and did a light trim on the straggling branches. We have had some storm damage recently. Cheers.
Dennis

dennisd

Back to top Go down

Post by dennisd 24th September 2013, 18:22

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]Photo of Floriade 2013 Canberra's floral Festival in Commonwealth Park which is directly across Lake Burley Griffin fro Old Parliament House where I work. Our depot is in Commonwealth Park and it is difficult during Floiade to get in and out of the depot. Hope you all enjoy the photo.
Dennis

dennisd

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lazy Rosarian 24th September 2013, 18:30

We/ I do Dennis as it is not something I have seen before or even thought of where rose might be found, thank you.
The Lazy Rosarian
The Lazy Rosarian

Back to top Go down

Post by jordan71 24th September 2013, 18:41

lovely . yet to see the rose garden in canberra
jordan71
jordan71

Number of posts : 1699
Registration date : 2012-03-02

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lazy Rosarian 24th September 2013, 18:51

Dan if you could go, which "style/variety of rose" would make you go to Canberra ?
The Lazy Rosarian
The Lazy Rosarian

Back to top Go down

Post by jordan71 25th September 2013, 07:14

roseman wrote:Dan if you could go, which "style/variety of rose" would make you go to Canberra ?
lol David

no style or variety would keep me away , I always love looking at roses regardless what types they are , of course if I had to choose would have to be heritage roses
jordan71
jordan71

Number of posts : 1699
Registration date : 2012-03-02

Back to top Go down

Post by dennisd 25th September 2013, 08:07

In the Macarthur Garden we have some of the first roses brought with the Macarthur Family to Australia when they came and set up near Camden NSW. I sprayed them Monday with worm juice. Dennis

dennisd

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lazy Rosarian 25th September 2013, 12:21

Dennis, I have just looked at the list of roses in the Macarthur Garden, there are some exceptional roses amongst them, Thumbsup 
The Lazy Rosarian
The Lazy Rosarian

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next