Rose Talk Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Watch This Space, more info coming.
by The Lazy Rosarian 21st September 2018, 06:25

» A Rose by any other name ...
by The Lazy Rosarian 17th September 2018, 19:26

» Looking for "St Brigid's Rose"
by The Lazy Rosarian 11th August 2018, 06:50

» And for David while he is away.
by neptune 19th July 2018, 23:57

» Wanting to talk with old roserian friends again, and new roserians friends too !
by rosemeadowtasmania 14th July 2018, 22:54

» Premature Petal dropping- Perth
by rosemeadowtasmania 5th July 2018, 15:27

» Vale: Meryl Constance
by rosemeadowtasmania 5th July 2018, 13:55

» Newbie to roses and forums for that matter!
by Steph 28th June 2018, 09:39

First Rose In Old Parliament House Rose Gardens

+4
silkyfizz
SueH
Dimity Cottage
dennisd
8 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

First Rose In Old Parliament House Rose Gardens - Page 2 Empty Re: First Rose In Old Parliament House Rose Gardens

Post by Dimity Cottage 26th September 2013, 22:11

Oh, Dennis you must feel so privileged to be working with such roses as those at Macarthur Garden. And such old Bushes. How do they compare with Modern Roses in Perfume, Growth & Disease Resistant etc? How thick would there stems be now? Probably silly questions I know.
Happy Rose Gardening. First Rose In Old Parliament House Rose Gardens - Page 2 3028820582
Dimity Cottage
Dimity Cottage

Number of posts : 333
Registration date : 2013-09-01

Back to top Go down

First Rose In Old Parliament House Rose Gardens - Page 2 Empty Re: First Rose In Old Parliament House Rose Gardens

Post by The Lazy Rosarian 27th September 2013, 05:30

Dianne, I am not going to take your question away from Dennis. These questions are not silly, that is how we all learn, modern roses are derived from old roses, so the perfume originally came from them. Growth varies dependant on variety. Disease resistance is an open book IMO, hope this helps till Dennis tells his story about the bushes under his care.
The Lazy Rosarian
The Lazy Rosarian

Number of posts : 5191
Registration date : 2009-01-11

Back to top Go down

Post by dennisd 29th September 2013, 08:04

The roses in the Macarthur Garden are roses derived from the roses brought with the Macarthur Family rather than relocated centuries old plants. Nevertheless the roses have heritage dating back two centuries which is amazing. I consider I am the luckiest person to be working where I am. I was working with twenty volunteers and a National Capital Authority Co_Ordinator plus serveral of our own staff on Friday to renew all the companion plantings in The Ladies, Brionowski, and Rex Hazlewood Gardens. It was a wonderful morning where we replanted 160 French lavenders.
Getting back to the Macarthur roses I do not have much trouble at all with them, I keep all the roses healthy with manure, worm juice and the winter spray then this coming week I will start my eco spray for black spot and aphids. In the location we are in we just can't leave nature to take it's course, we are paid to control bugs and diseases and we do this in the most eco friendly way. This is done because we are always working amongst school groups, and the public. These people do not like chemicals.
Dennis

dennisd

Number of posts : 73
Registration date : 2013-08-20

Back to top Go down

Post by Dimity Cottage 29th September 2013, 12:09

Dennis, Thanks for the info I appreciate you taking the time to answer questions. Can't wait to get down there and check out your gardens. Hope all your Lavenders like their new home.
Working with so many volunteers I am sure they see you as a
National Treasure down there. First Rose In Old Parliament House Rose Gardens - Page 2 3224731277
Dimity Cottage
Dimity Cottage

Number of posts : 333
Registration date : 2013-09-01

Back to top Go down

Post by dennisd 29th September 2013, 18:16

Dimity, I do value all our volunteers very much. They are truly dedicated to their tasks and have a huge knowledge base on their own gardens. I am slowly trying to introduce them to to the other gardens in the estate and to all the techniques used in rose culture such as budding and grafting. We do have fun as well as doing the hard work each week. It was a highly organised and fun job to plant the lavenders.
Cheers
Dennis

dennisd

Number of posts : 73
Registration date : 2013-08-20

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2