Rose Talk Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Watch This Space, more info coming.
by The Lazy Rosarian 21st September 2018, 06:25

» A Rose by any other name ...
by The Lazy Rosarian 17th September 2018, 19:26

» Looking for "St Brigid's Rose"
by The Lazy Rosarian 11th August 2018, 06:50

» And for David while he is away.
by neptune 19th July 2018, 23:57

» Wanting to talk with old roserian friends again, and new roserians friends too !
by rosemeadowtasmania 14th July 2018, 22:54

» Premature Petal dropping- Perth
by rosemeadowtasmania 5th July 2018, 15:27

» Vale: Meryl Constance
by rosemeadowtasmania 5th July 2018, 13:55

» Newbie to roses and forums for that matter!
by Steph 28th June 2018, 09:39

Has anyone had a similar problem with a rose......

5 posters

Go down

Has anyone had a similar problem with a rose...... Empty Has anyone had a similar problem with a rose......

Post by crlyn 14th November 2017, 13:40

A rose that I have had for 3 years grows really well 1.5 mts ht, a lovely bush, but for all the flowers that have been on it for that time you could say it doesn’t really flower. After this years pruning it flowered, very small flowers, then grew so well and now just a few so so tiny buds, that will probably come to nothing. Now I always thought that would be too much nitrogen, but other roses in same garden a growing and flowering so well. Anyone with an opinion, or does the shovel need to do its work!!

crlyn

Number of posts : 11
Registration date : 2016-03-11

Back to top Go down

Has anyone had a similar problem with a rose...... Empty Re: Has anyone had a similar problem with a rose......

Post by LouiseJB 14th November 2017, 23:18

Sometimes you can just get a dud. But in saying that I would give it some extra potash to see if that increases bloom size and quantity.
Cheers,
Louise.

LouiseJB

Number of posts : 121
Registration date : 2012-06-01

Back to top Go down

Has anyone had a similar problem with a rose...... Empty Re: Has anyone had a similar problem with a rose......

Post by crlyn 16th November 2017, 08:57

Thank you Louise for answering my post, I have been using liquid potash every 2 weeks, and they did get a good handful of powdered potash when I pruned. It is such a pretty white rose and the perfume is so beautiful .....such a shame......time for it to go I think! The growth is so strong I feel it’s having a detrimental effect on the roses next to it.

crlyn

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lazy Rosarian 17th November 2017, 06:41

Hi crlyn, Is this username short for Carolyn ?, anyway I would not "shovel" this rose, first thing to do is dig it and place in a pot. This is a method that works.
Go the the big green shed/ The B shop and purchase some peat/coir blocks use the directions to make them up.
Check the root system.
Place rose in this mix after pruning it back.
The mix retains water but keep it moist and in a good warm open position.
This develops a lot of initial roots, which a rose needs to feed from, I will try to find a photo of the results.
The other thing that I might suggest is buying a cheap pH kit from the same shop and test that area, it could be that simple, the potash idea is great, Potash/potassium is a flower builder not a plant.   builder. Let us know what you decide.
The Lazy Rosarian
The Lazy Rosarian

Number of posts : 5191
Registration date : 2009-01-11

Back to top Go down

Post by crlyn 18th November 2017, 08:35

To the Lazy Rosarian....yes it’s Carolyn! Thank you for that information, I’m off to the B shop this morning, so we’ll see how I go. That sounds great and always so good to learn something new about our roses. Think I may try it with another rose as well..... but that’s another story you may be interested in at another time.

crlyn

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lazy Rosarian 18th November 2017, 10:40

We are all ears, another time is now
The Lazy Rosarian
The Lazy Rosarian

Back to top Go down

Post by crlyn 18th November 2017, 13:17

Shopping all done at the B/shop. Story a bit later, love to see a photo of the results Lazy Rosarian.
Thanks

crlyn

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lazy Rosarian 18th November 2017, 14:44

Afternoon Carolyn, here it is, had to do some searches,
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Regards David.
The Lazy Rosarian
The Lazy Rosarian

Back to top Go down

Post by Charlieboy 20th November 2017, 10:57

Sorry it's taken so long to reply to thank you David.......I was locked out of the forum, seems to be all sorted now, note change of name.

Thanks again will let you know how I go.

Carolyn

Charlieboy

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2017-10-29

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozeboy 21st November 2017, 09:59

Hello Carolyn, some roses are slow to repeat which is possibly a genetical trait. I bred a nice miniature from
'CHEWfragbabe' and 'Roundalay'. It's a very healthy rose but doesn't repeat quickly. I'm going to keep it for another season and trial it on the new version of Banana Special and poultry manure. This should rule out any nutritional deficiency now it is in a pot.

Ozeboy

Number of posts : 1673
Registration date : 2008-12-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down