Rose Talk Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Watch This Space, more info coming.
by The Lazy Rosarian 21st September 2018, 06:25

» A Rose by any other name ...
by The Lazy Rosarian 17th September 2018, 19:26

» Looking for "St Brigid's Rose"
by The Lazy Rosarian 11th August 2018, 06:50

» And for David while he is away.
by neptune 19th July 2018, 23:57

» Wanting to talk with old roserian friends again, and new roserians friends too !
by rosemeadowtasmania 14th July 2018, 22:54

» Premature Petal dropping- Perth
by rosemeadowtasmania 5th July 2018, 15:27

» Vale: Meryl Constance
by rosemeadowtasmania 5th July 2018, 13:55

» Newbie to roses and forums for that matter!
by Steph 28th June 2018, 09:39

Rose Cuttings.

+9
muscovyduckling
paulh
AutumnDamask
Balinbear
rosebud
Ausrose
The Lazy Rosarian
neptune
SueH
13 posters

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Rose Cuttings. - Page 3 Empty Re: Rose Cuttings.

Post by The Lazy Rosarian 7th June 2014, 06:17

On the subject of 'rootstock', has anyone got a "Masters" shop near them and if so could they look next time they go to see what the "bagged" roses have written on them, I would say they would most likely have "The Rose Company" logo on them.
If you look at all the bagged roses in the The W shop and all the others I think you will find the same bags.
The Lazy Rosarian
The Lazy Rosarian

Number of posts : 5191
Registration date : 2009-01-11

Back to top Go down

Post by AutumnDamask 7th June 2014, 07:39

roseman wrote:Darth Vader, "said" we will teach you how to graft/bud raise seedlings. Patience is a virtue, seldom in a woman, always in a man, this is why there is always a woman behind a man. Look at of our leader world wide there has always been a woman behind the "man"
And Darth Vader ended up dead.

Slap 
AutumnDamask
AutumnDamask

Number of posts : 1360
Registration date : 2011-06-08

Back to top Go down

Post by AutumnDamask 7th June 2014, 07:43

SueH wrote:Yes Zoe, I am talking about cuttings, not root stock.  I was just querying about different root stock for different area and wondered if this was taken into consideration when roses are sold in different areas o if you see what I mean!  It was just interest, that's all.  I'm not clever enough to graft roses,  I have trouble getting cuttings to grow!! I feel like this.....!Rose Cuttings. - Page 3 3941068418

I've had a lot of varied results when I take cuttings. First cuttings I ever took I put in sand and I was successful ('Duet'). I've had failures in sand since and successes just by keeping the cutting sitting in a glass of water on the window sill!
Last year I tried some in perlite and, maybe because of the year, but most sprouted too fast and didn't callus enough and grow roots. Only had success with 'Firestar' and 'General Gallieni'.
Luck of the draw sometimes. Sad
Most important thing is: take from a stem that has flowered.
AutumnDamask
AutumnDamask

Number of posts : 1360
Registration date : 2011-06-08

Back to top Go down

Post by SueH 7th June 2014, 13:13

Thank you Autumn.  Good point.  I think I'll give it a go this coming summer - just have to keep trying!   Fingers Crossed

SueH

Number of posts : 737
Registration date : 2013-06-06

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lazy Rosarian 7th June 2014, 13:18

Sue why waste the cuttings from this Winter pruning. good chance to try them, nothing ventured, nothing gained or lost.
The Lazy Rosarian
The Lazy Rosarian

Back to top Go down

Post by SueH 7th June 2014, 13:22

Roseman, just checked the bag which contained my Zephirine Drouhin and the grower is:

Gawler River Roses.

No sign of "The Rose Company".   Dunno

SueH

Back to top Go down

Post by SueH 7th June 2014, 13:24

Good thinking Batman!!  aka Roseman!!  I'll give it a go.  Do I have to cover the cutting with a plastic bag or similar at this time of year?

SueH

Back to top Go down

Post by paulh 7th June 2014, 23:10

roseman wrote:On the subject of 'rootstock', has anyone got a "Masters" shop near them and if so could they look next time they go to see what the "bagged" roses have written on them, I would say they would most likely have "The Rose Company" logo on them.
If you look at all the bagged roses in the The W shop and all the others I think you will find the same bags.

Whilst at Bunnings today te get some Seasol (which has gone up $1.00, $9.50 to $10.48)) so stuff them I bought a product from Masters, Amgro's seaweed for $7.50
Off track there...Bunnings are selling bagged roses from local Landsdale Roses (Nursery)
for $12.50. which is about $3 more than the other bagged roses they have, which I didn't catch who the supplier was. Now, question is why are Landsdales more expensive, they are local and don't have to come from Sth Australia like the others. Now when I say bagged, they have a gereat deal of soil in the bag, almost like being in a long skinny pot, a lot heavier than the ones from the east. Hmmm I will email Landsdale and inquire as to these roses. Rose Cuttings. - Page 3 2254931222 
paulh
paulh

Number of posts : 1065
Registration date : 2012-09-11

http://livingwithroses.weebly.com

Back to top Go down

Post by dannyboy 7th June 2014, 23:33

Roseman from a number of Masters I have been they take all of there roses from Knights 90 percent and I have  seen a small number from the rose company not much tho.As i said before knights have good healthy roses to.In saying that i have picked up some fantastic healthy roses from the rose company to .

dannyboy

Number of posts : 472
Registration date : 2012-06-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Ausrose 8th June 2014, 04:38

Sometimes when you buy a replacement product it is a false saving. Despite all the best advice I do use Roundup(glyphosate) from time to time to kill nut grass in my rose beds. As cost is always a factor to me I did at one stage buy another product made up of glyphosate for about two thirds the price of Roundup however what I found was amount of the replacement product to be used  per litre of water is double that of Roundup so in actual  fact the Roundup was cheaper. Another factor you should consider whether the cheaper replacement product has the same proportion of active ingredients thus maintaining the effectiveness of the product being replaced. There is an old adage " you get what you pay for" and this is more than often the case.

When I use Roundup to kill nut grass In my rose beds I take special precautions and my recommendation is definitely don't glyphosate anywhere near roses as it is playing Russian roulette and you can pay a high price.

Ausrose

Number of posts : 1318
Registration date : 2012-01-26

Back to top Go down

Post by Kinhel 14th June 2014, 19:30

[quote="paulh"]
roseman wrote:On the subject of 'rootstock', has anyone got a "Masters" shop near them and if so could they look next time they go to see what the "bagged" roses have written on them, I would say they would most likely have "The Rose Company" logo on them.

I bought about 7 from BigW all the Rose Company..I couldnt let them go to waste there to be thrown out now could I ..lol ...just have to get rid of the powdery mildew off some Sad ...but you have me off to Masters now out of curiousity to see what they are stocking in their bags in this area ..as per your request David of course .on a Missioni ... just to make sure Wink but Knights roses would be good hmmmm....
Kinhel
Kinhel

Number of posts : 42
Registration date : 2014-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post by paulh 14th June 2014, 21:59

I,very noticed that our bunnings also have bagged roses from Gawler River Roses in SA
paulh
paulh

Number of posts : 1065
Registration date : 2012-09-11

http://livingwithroses.weebly.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Ausrose 14th June 2014, 22:46

I found some Swanes roses at Bunnings North Penrith today and although they were somewhat dearer than other bagged roses they had on sale they were far better quality.

Ausrose

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lazy Rosarian 15th June 2014, 06:26

Yes I agree Doug our B shop does carry some from Swanes and the quality is very good and the price is up a bit.

Helen, our W shop carries the lines from 'The Rose C'. It will be interesting to see what Masters carry in your area/NSW
The Lazy Rosarian
The Lazy Rosarian

Back to top Go down

Post by Kinhel 15th June 2014, 09:32

I went to buy some bagged from a local nursery the other week found out closing down & the boys told me people came in & bought $1000's of dollars worth in one hit they had never seen them before ...I was upset to see the nursery go ..BUT I now know why !! a B shop has just opened same suburb..& theres one in the next suburb too... so I am basically forced to go ..as the other nursery has no roses !! very sad ...& a little off topic ...lol

SO it leaves me no choice but to complete this mission David & if I must visit a new B as well as Masters...I will do it for the research ..heehee ... watch this space .. What a Face 
Kinhel
Kinhel

Number of posts : 42
Registration date : 2014-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Balinbear 15th June 2014, 14:05

A lot of the bagged roses at our nearest Bunning's are from Treloar's. Quite a few Kordes in the mix.

There are also a lot of others with no band names.
Balinbear
Balinbear

Number of posts : 1459
Registration date : 2010-01-30

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lazy Rosarian 15th June 2014, 14:10

Gary are these in bags and if so are they named as Treloars bags
The Lazy Rosarian
The Lazy Rosarian

Back to top Go down

Post by Ausrose 16th June 2014, 20:23

On Monday 1st of June I prepared about twenty cuttings of multiflora by cutting out all but the top 3 bud eyes and heeling them. I then placed them in clear class containers containing boiled water and stood the containers in a sheltered position where they get a full days sun.When they callous I will plant them in a longish pot containing coarse river sand ready to be budded come November.

Last edited by Ausrose on 17th June 2014, 19:03; edited 2 times in total

Ausrose

Back to top Go down

Post by Balinbear 16th June 2014, 22:09

roseman wrote:Gary are these in bags and if so are they named as Treloars bags

Not sure of the bags but they had Treloar Labels on them. I purchased a couple of climbers (Manita and Jasmina) as you can never have too many climbers (LOL).

The also had "newer" Floribundas Home and Garden and Pomponella which I had already received from Treloar's and Peach Profusion was there as well.
Balinbear
Balinbear

Number of posts : 1459
Registration date : 2010-01-30

Back to top Go down

Post by SueH 17th June 2014, 16:44

I'll look forward to hearing how they do Doug.  Yes, I agree Gary, you can't have too many climbers.  I've only just moved in and already have planted 4 in my little garden!

SueH

Back to top Go down

Post by Bruce Sanders 19th June 2014, 05:24

The big blue shed at Rutherford carry a very small selection of bagged and potted toes this year me thinks they got their fingers burnt last year. The big green shed is much the same. The best roses are still at the two dedicated nurseries one has even improved their quality and selection this year in face of the two big sheds
Bruce Sanders
Bruce Sanders

Number of posts : 49
Registration date : 2014-04-23

Back to top Go down

Post by dannyboy 19th June 2014, 05:32

I have seen a few nice bagged roses at Bunnings and Masters this year.Good oldies and some recent new ones.

dannyboy

Number of posts : 472
Registration date : 2012-06-04

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lazy Rosarian 19th June 2014, 06:32

That's good Bruce, especially for the locals(nursery), what sort of price at the blue and green places ?
The Lazy Rosarian
The Lazy Rosarian

Back to top Go down

Post by Bruce Sanders 19th June 2014, 08:57

David they have the cheap range at $19 and I have seen them as high as high as $39 for the charity style roses.
Bruce Sanders
Bruce Sanders

Number of posts : 49
Registration date : 2014-04-23

Back to top Go down

Post by carmel 8th September 2017, 15:31

I have made some cuttings this year to, how long before you know if they have taken? Smile

carmel

Number of posts : 29
Registration date : 2017-07-26

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next