Rose Talk Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Watch This Space, more info coming.
by The Lazy Rosarian 21st September 2018, 06:25

» A Rose by any other name ...
by The Lazy Rosarian 17th September 2018, 19:26

» Looking for "St Brigid's Rose"
by The Lazy Rosarian 11th August 2018, 06:50

» And for David while he is away.
by neptune 19th July 2018, 23:57

» Wanting to talk with old roserian friends again, and new roserians friends too !
by rosemeadowtasmania 14th July 2018, 22:54

» Premature Petal dropping- Perth
by rosemeadowtasmania 5th July 2018, 15:27

» Vale: Meryl Constance
by rosemeadowtasmania 5th July 2018, 13:55

» Newbie to roses and forums for that matter!
by Steph 28th June 2018, 09:39

Your most bloomiforous roses

+2
silkyfizz
betsyw
6 posters

Go down

Your most bloomiforous roses Empty Your most bloomiforous roses

Post by betsyw 18th October 2013, 19:26

Do you have roses that are rapid repeaters, or even better, are non-stop bloom machines? For once I'll set aside the criterion of perfume, and only define the question by asking for moderns - HTs, Floris or Grandis, preferably but not exclusively doubles and preferably shortish to medium height.
betsyw
betsyw

Number of posts : 1340
Registration date : 2012-05-01

Back to top Go down

Your most bloomiforous roses Empty Re: Your most bloomiforous roses

Post by silkyfizz 18th October 2013, 21:38

Ha, Betsy, short, fat and overdressed? Well my Victoria Gold always seems to have flowers, great health, bright green shiny foliage, nice shaped bush. It works hard all season and doesn't ask for much in attention. No perfume though. Another is Margaret Merrill, quick repeater, lots of flowers, healthy, sweetly perfumed white flowers.
silkyfizz
silkyfizz

Number of posts : 1621
Registration date : 2012-07-21

Back to top Go down

Post by neptune 18th October 2013, 22:10

Brigadoon, firefighter , st Patrick and fabulous(flori)
neptune
neptune

Number of posts : 2450
Registration date : 2010-06-26

Back to top Go down

Post by betsyw 19th October 2013, 07:43

Hehe, you have perceived the variation on my old question, silky ;-)). I am drawn to both your suggestion, Margaregt Mrril in particular because she is 1) a known perfume emiotter, and 2) because her name crops up again and agin. I worry only about thrips on those white blooms

John, indeed, we share an enthusiasm for Firefighter. Have the intention to add yet another one to the FF herd. IMO teh best all-around red out there.

Brigadoon - now on the list if i can find one. How does it go with no spray? Its place in the J&P timeline suggests it might be susceptible. The early '90s was not the greatest time in the history of resistant roses. Might be the very thing to replace Daybreaker as a specimen rose while DB recovers (note the pollyanna optimism).
betsyw
betsyw

Back to top Go down

Post by silkyfizz 19th October 2013, 18:04

Ever the optimist Betsy hey? Poor DB, hope she makes it. Yeah thrips are a bugger on Margaret Merrill. That is the only white I have, but future will include Jardins de Bagatelle and PJPII. Do they also get thrips?
silkyfizz
silkyfizz

Back to top Go down

Post by betsyw 19th October 2013, 18:21

Thrips are the main reason I've stered clear of whites, silky.(Having said that, for reasons beyond my own comprehension, I now have Ice Girl and Summer Memories. Must have been a trick of the light when I ticked the boxes online) Already the thrips are playing hide n' seek in IG. Also - I am sad to say - the thrippies just lurvvv Sightsaver.

Funny thing about JdB - it doesn't seem to be a thrip magnet, and that's another big plus for this scrummy creature. I can make no guarantees on this score, but it's ever been my great joy and surprise that Jardins seems invisible to the critters.
betsyw
betsyw

Back to top Go down

Post by silkyfizz 19th October 2013, 18:31

That's great news Betsy, another reason for Jardins to figure in my endless imaginary design perambulations!
silkyfizz
silkyfizz

Back to top Go down

Post by Balinbear 19th October 2013, 19:33

Why restricted to moderns?
Balinbear
Balinbear

Number of posts : 1459
Registration date : 2010-01-30

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lazy Rosarian 19th October 2013, 19:41

Well said Gary
The Lazy Rosarian
The Lazy Rosarian

Number of posts : 5191
Registration date : 2009-01-11

Back to top Go down

Post by betsyw 19th October 2013, 20:08

Okay Gary, do you have in mind a shortish-medium-sized antique rose that will bloom and rebloom like crazy all season, and will be happy in a large pot?
betsyw
betsyw

Back to top Go down

Post by Balinbear 20th October 2013, 00:01

You did not mention pots but my sister in law used to have a Commtesse de Larbathe in a pot. It flowered its head off. It's in our garden now as she moved house.

We have a large old railway bridge transom (like a sleeper except nearly twice as thick) that we are going to stand up as a post. I want to put a Boarderer in a basket and hang it off the post. They flower continuously and can be covered in flowers.

Balinbear
Balinbear

Back to top Go down

Post by betsyw 20th October 2013, 06:36

Well, I really, really, really like the Comtesse. A quick look tells me it's Duchesse de Brabant, a name more familiar to me. This one could be my first tea! If I can source it this season, I'll get it now. If not, then Magic Gardens is at least one place that I can order it next year.

Borderer I find less appealing - looks a bit Carpet Rose to me, and it has only faint if any scent.

But the Comtesse/Duchesse - very nice. Seems to tolerate a bit of shade - is that correct? Thank you Gary/Balinbear
betsyw
betsyw

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lazy Rosarian 20th October 2013, 07:09

Betsy, if you join HMF or have joined HMF use it's advanced search and place your criteria in it and this will give you endless plants as possibles to choose from.
The Lazy Rosarian
The Lazy Rosarian

Back to top Go down

Post by betsyw 20th October 2013, 07:23

I'm an HMF junkie, David, and I never buy anything without first consulting  that esteemed site.

BUT - and as head of this forum I think you might agree - with 3000+ roses to choose from, of which hundreds might fit the criteria of any search, there is no substitute for personal recommendations. RoseTalk and Gardenweb are my go-to guides in that respect. Not the last word, but when I see a rose mentioned again and again and again , by a variety of gardeners, then it gets my attention.

It is not a foolproof system ;-)) A long time ago I bought Double Delight on the strength of its incredible and widespread popularity, and never have I loathed a rose so much, so thoroughly, so viciously.

And then there is Baronne de Rothschild, which I would never had considered had I not read so much about it here. I woudl never have picked it out from HMF. Personally, I think it photographs rather dully. The praise for it here pushed me, though, and as you know, I rejoice in that rose ;-)
betsyw
betsyw

Back to top Go down

Post by Balinbear 20th October 2013, 08:32

betsyw wrote:Well, I really, really, really like the Comtesse. A quick look tells me it's Duchesse de Brabant, a name more familiar to me. This one could be my first tea! If I can source it this season, I'll get it now. If not, then Magic Gardens is at least one place that I can order it next year.

Borderer I find less appealing - looks a bit Carpet Rose to me, and it has only faint if any scent.

But the Comtesse/Duchesse - very nice. Seems to tolerate a bit of shade - is that correct? Thank you Gary/Balinbear
Our Boarderer's grow up to about 600mm high but yes not a lot of scent.

The Comtesse has a delicious citrus scent. It can be kept under control with pruning and can grow in a bit of shade but as with most roses they enjoy the sun. Most of ours only get on average about 4 hours sun.
Balinbear
Balinbear

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lazy Rosarian 20th October 2013, 16:15

Betsy are you a'premium member' by chance ? if not, give me some basic things to go on, lets start with colour, we will not go to Ht's/flori to start with. It might take a couple of days with my other commitments at present, below is what can be sourced as a premium member.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
The Lazy Rosarian
The Lazy Rosarian

Back to top Go down

Post by betsyw 20th October 2013, 17:24

David,  that's so kind and sweet of you to help play the HMF  find-a-rose  game. It's fun, isn't it?

I tell you, though, time is so short to get a rose up and going by the deck entrance for Christmas, so I'm going to try the Summer Memories I already have started . Here's an HMF member's pic - very densely clothed,a  nice Yuletide white/cream, is said to be bloomiforous and compact.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

If things don't pan out, SM can go out the back with the other battery hens, and I'll move in a blooming gardenia or something showy.

betsyw
betsyw

Back to top Go down

Post by silkyfizz 20th October 2013, 18:50

Gardenias a good choice for outdoors entertaining Betsy, fresh and cool and wafting fragrance especially in the evening when guests often roll up. Also no thorns if someone gets tipsy and rolls out merrily onto the the deck and straight into a prickly rose! That summer Memories looks nice though. Touch of tinsel might look OK for Christmas.
silkyfizz
silkyfizz

Back to top Go down

Post by maree 21st October 2013, 09:17

Mmmmnn i'm thinking Henri Matisse Betsy , only has a slight fragrance , but is such a good rose which has been its saviour in my garden , interestingly it was advertised as highly fragrant when i planted it ....
maree
maree

Number of posts : 1733
Registration date : 2012-05-25

Back to top Go down

Post by betsyw 21st October 2013, 09:34

Armed with all your thoughts, I'm going to have a look around the various nurseries to see what's fat and overdressed right now. The Chosen One for the entrance was meant to be Daybreaker, but she's not going to be suitable in time, even if she does recover.

Tinsel, eh? Okay! My thought here, silky, was white solar fairy lights, which I use all over the deck (it's  approx 26' x 16') during Christmas/New Years, to also be strung over the rose bush (the little bulbs are quite cool to the touch, so won't burn the plant).

Stop pushing Henri at me, maree. You know I'll just buy one when I see it, even if it's tiny and totally unsuitable. These things are like popcorn - just mention it and I want it Spectator
betsyw
betsyw

Back to top Go down

Post by maree 21st October 2013, 12:48

Lol ha ha Betsy , i've got space limitations , so when thats filled up , i'm done until something dies or something unpleasant happens to it ....
maree
maree

Back to top Go down

Post by silkyfizz 21st October 2013, 21:50

I've had a yen for Henri Matisse myself. Love the colours, especially that shade of red in its swirls. I've already got 2 stripeys, Red Intuition and Grimaldi, (live them both) but I would dearly love Henri too. I'm hopeless! Happy to find it's a good one Maree. Trouble is where can I put it? I've dug so many new beds in the last few months, the garden began to resemble an excavation site. Lol.
Betsy your Christmas decorations sound magical.
silkyfizz
silkyfizz

Back to top Go down

Post by maree 21st October 2013, 22:48

Just remember Silky , that Henri only has a mild fragrance , performance wise in my garden though , i can't fault it ...
maree
maree

Back to top Go down

Post by silkyfizz 21st October 2013, 23:04

Yes Maree, it's not one for a fragrance hit but my solution is to mix up those with little/no scent with the power perfumes, so you still get the wafting affect. That's the theory anyway. Of course you can't beat a fantastic fragrance but visual delight is part of the joy of growing roses I reckon.
silkyfizz
silkyfizz

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down