Rose Talk Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Watch This Space, more info coming.
by The Lazy Rosarian 21st September 2018, 06:25

» A Rose by any other name ...
by The Lazy Rosarian 17th September 2018, 19:26

» Looking for "St Brigid's Rose"
by The Lazy Rosarian 11th August 2018, 06:50

» And for David while he is away.
by neptune 19th July 2018, 23:57

» Wanting to talk with old roserian friends again, and new roserians friends too !
by rosemeadowtasmania 14th July 2018, 22:54

» Premature Petal dropping- Perth
by rosemeadowtasmania 5th July 2018, 15:27

» Vale: Meryl Constance
by rosemeadowtasmania 5th July 2018, 13:55

» Newbie to roses and forums for that matter!
by Steph 28th June 2018, 09:39

Ozeboy and Rosemeadow.... Rosa gigantea

4 posters

Go down

Ozeboy and Rosemeadow.... Rosa gigantea Empty Ozeboy and Rosemeadow.... Rosa gigantea

Post by Admin 25th February 2009, 22:21

My Rosa gigantea cuttings all failed Crying or Very sad (the grafted buds are still green but are refusing to sprout) so I have just placed an order for one from 'Reliable Roses' as well as a Rosa bracteata. If you don't mind waiting a while I'll still do some once they arrive and establish next year (probably bud them and send them because I've been advised that gigantea can take several years to produce flowers after planting and budding tends to speed it up).

Don't spose anyone has seen another species rose around called Rosa clinophylla?

Last edited by TasV on 25th February 2009, 22:53; edited 1 time in total

Admin

Number of posts : 3750
Registration date : 2008-02-08

http://www.rosetalkaustralia.com

Back to top Go down

Ozeboy and Rosemeadow.... Rosa gigantea Empty Re: Ozeboy and Rosemeadow.... Rosa gigantea

Post by rosemeadow 25th February 2009, 22:49

Hi Simon, I am sorry to Gigantea cuttings didn't do any good. I think I can maybe get some gigantea cuttings or budwood myself in Winter. Thankyou for trying for us.
No, I haven't heard of the other rose you mentioned.

rosemeadow

Number of posts : 902
Registration date : 2009-01-11

Back to top Go down

Ozeboy and Rosemeadow.... Rosa gigantea Empty Re: Ozeboy and Rosemeadow.... Rosa gigantea

Post by The Lazy Rosarian 26th February 2009, 06:51

Simon, where do you pluck some of these roses from, scratch my head ,only joking, I can only guess it is the breeding program.
The Lazy Rosarian
The Lazy Rosarian

Number of posts : 5191

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin 26th February 2009, 17:11

Which ones David? R. clinopylla? Not really expecting this one to be here yet. It's not been grown for long but it's an interesting rose because it grows in boggy conditions and even submerged for part of the year so I'm guessing it's disease resistance would be pretty good. I know there are some people already working with it and gigantea and was hoping it had found its way here Smile

Last edited by Simon on 18th April 2009, 22:33; edited 1 time in total

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lazy Rosarian 26th February 2009, 17:18

Simon, that's it R. clinopylla, you must do your "homework" before or after school.
The Lazy Rosarian
The Lazy Rosarian

Number of posts : 5191

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin 26th February 2009, 17:27

Only in the holidays...

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozeboy 24th March 2009, 11:05

Thanks TasV for letting me know, based on that will get some buds in the next couple of weeks.

Our warm seasons are about one month longer in spring and last a month longer in autumn. It's fairly warm here today, 27 to 28C during the day and down to 15 to 17C at night. From the 10th to the 15th of April its quite noticeable that all the hot days are gone.

Ozeboy

Number of posts : 1673
Registration date : 2008-12-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin 24th March 2009, 12:52

Bruce... I noticed a single bud on one of the grafted gigantea has started to grow... so I did manage to get one plant going. It won't be big enough to do this year, however. I've also ordered an established grafted plant from Reliable Roses along with bracteata so I don't know how much of a hurry you are in but there is more material arriving soon.

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozeboy 25th March 2009, 10:17

TasV, thanks, I did organise some buds just last monday and if for some reason they don't arrive or the dog jumps all over them will get back to you.

Ozeboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozeboy 18th April 2009, 21:24

Simon, have budded 12 Gigantea, all buds green and healthy three weeks on, will activate them next September.

I have had a couple of hundred buds from Rustons this season and found them fresh and healthy. They obviously look after their roses very well.

Get back to me if all yours fail.

Ozeboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin 18th April 2009, 21:35

Thanks Bruce. My gigantea cuttings completely failed but one of the buds I did from the cuttings burst and started growing madly and is now about 5cm long. The multiflora section has been removed about a week ago now and with any luck it will strike successfully. The other bud is still green so fngers crossed when spring comes around it will decide to grow as well. I've ordered an advanced cutting grown plant of Rosa bracteata from Reliable this year too. They said they've found it difficult to bud for some reason so all their plants are cutting grown. I think this is another plant along the same lines as gigantea that might offer some good genes for warm climate roses so if you PM me your address I'll keep some cuttings for you as well. In addition to this... Viru has advised me that Rosa clinophylla IS in the country at the Mt Lofty Botanical Gardens in Adelaide . He's given me a contact name and I've shot off an email asking if there is any possibility of getting some seeds so if the answer comes back positive I'll split the seeds up and send them around. This rose grows in swampy warm conditions so I am hoping there is some significant humidity resistant genes in there that might prove useful as well.

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down