Rose Talk Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Watch This Space, more info coming.
by The Lazy Rosarian 21st September 2018, 06:25

» A Rose by any other name ...
by The Lazy Rosarian 17th September 2018, 19:26

» Looking for "St Brigid's Rose"
by The Lazy Rosarian 11th August 2018, 06:50

» And for David while he is away.
by neptune 19th July 2018, 23:57

» Wanting to talk with old roserian friends again, and new roserians friends too !
by rosemeadowtasmania 14th July 2018, 22:54

» Premature Petal dropping- Perth
by rosemeadowtasmania 5th July 2018, 15:27

» Vale: Meryl Constance
by rosemeadowtasmania 5th July 2018, 13:55

» Newbie to roses and forums for that matter!
by Steph 28th June 2018, 09:39

A Tasmanian Rosemeadow

+4
The Lazy Rosarian
maree
dannyboy
rosemeadow
8 posters

Go down

A Tasmanian Rosemeadow Empty A Tasmanian Rosemeadow

Post by rosemeadow 19th June 2012, 00:24

Hi everyone here at Rosetalk !
Well I have successfully brought 230 roses to Tasmania and they are getting closer to being nearly all planted. Almost time to go dig the next lot.
The soil is perfect to dig and luckily the second spade I bought was sold to me by a Bunnings employer who knew what he was talking about. The first spade which has a wooden handle I thought was going to break the first time, the second one has a long steel handle and a point on the spade and it is invincible. For digging into very thick grass and heavy soil, anyway. It cost under $40. I will tell you its name soon.
We only just got the power on today. The internet reception is fantastic here and it is so good to have a proper house inside for keeping warm and living in.
The view surrounding my new garden is very pretty and I am happy the way my garden plan is starting to take shape. The weather was really lovely for quite some days but I was too busy buying furniture in Launceston and the roses had to wait. Luckily there was some baths in the paddock for past stock and I eventually put the roses in them, before that I just left them under the thick black plastic under a few trees. Threw some water over them once.
Then it showered rain on and off for two days but I had to keep planting to catch up. Some roses I had to replant because I changed my mind about where I had put them. It was good to see where the paddock got the most water logged. It is lovely dark soil here, some clay undernealth sometimes.
It will be a little while before I can post some photos of my new garden. It is a very pretty drive to Launceston, up high beside the Tamar River. I will get some photos of that too.

rosemeadow

Number of posts : 902
Registration date : 2009-01-11

Back to top Go down

A Tasmanian Rosemeadow Empty Re: A Tasmanian Rosemeadow

Post by dannyboy 19th June 2012, 03:38

rosemeadow wrote:Hi everyone here at Rosetalk !
Well I have successfully brought 230 roses to Tasmania and they are getting closer to being nearly all planted. Almost time to go dig the next lot.
The soil is perfect to dig and luckily the second spade I bought was sold to me by a Bunnings employer who knew what he was talking about. The first spade which has a wooden handle I thought was going to break the first time, the second one has a long steel handle and a point on the spade and it is invincible. For digging into very thick grass and heavy soil, anyway. It cost under $40. I will tell you its name soon.
We only just got the power on today. The internet reception is fantastic here and it is so good to have a proper house inside for keeping warm and living in.
The view surrounding my new garden is very pretty and I am happy the way my garden plan is starting to take shape. The weather was really lovely for quite some days but I was too busy buying furniture in Launceston and the roses had to wait. Luckily there was some baths in the paddock for past stock and I eventually put the roses in them, before that I just left them under the thick black plastic under a few trees. Threw some water over them once.
Then it showered rain on and off for two days but I had to keep planting to catch up. Some roses I had to replant because I changed my mind about where I had put them. It was good to see where the paddock got the most water logged. It is lovely dark soil here, some clay undernealth sometimes.
It will be a little while before I can post some photos of my new garden. It is a very pretty drive to Launceston, up high beside the Tamar River. I will get some photos of that too.

Best of luck with all things.That's alot of roses to plant will keep you busy,but they will be a joy and delight in summer flowering.What breeds are you planting ? Did you get them all local.Cheers.

dannyboy

Number of posts : 472
Registration date : 2012-06-04

Back to top Go down

Post by maree 19th June 2012, 10:48

Hi Rosemeadow , lucky you , i have always wanted to more to Tasmania , hate the Melbourne summers here , but no one will come with me ,i'm afraid , looking forward to seeing pics of the 230 roses . WOW !!!!
maree
maree

Number of posts : 1733
Registration date : 2012-05-25

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lazy Rosarian 19th June 2012, 12:30

Maree, Karen has about 700 hundred more to dig and move to Tasmania. I will find a link to some of Karens roses tonight and place it here for everyone to see
Daniel, all these roses are coming from Karens at Gulgong, a small town the other side of Mudgee, 4hours/ 400klm's from Sydney and along way from Tasmania.
Karen is doing all the digging of these on her own, B****Y good worker.
The Lazy Rosarian
The Lazy Rosarian

Number of posts : 5191

Back to top Go down

Post by jordan71 19th June 2012, 14:58

well done
jordan71
jordan71

Number of posts : 1699
Registration date : 2012-03-02

Back to top Go down

Post by dannyboy 20th June 2012, 03:19

That's a great effort.

dannyboy

Number of posts : 472
Registration date : 2012-06-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozeboy 24th June 2012, 14:07

Rosemeadow's a great girl so look after her David (Roseman) That's a massive job moveing all those roses.

Ozeboy

Number of posts : 1673
Registration date : 2008-12-28

Back to top Go down

Post by betsyw 24th June 2012, 17:29

I bow down before you, rosemeadow. Can't even begin to imagine moving ten roses across my garden, much less 700 across the Tasman. Really, REALLY look forward to pix.
betsyw
betsyw

Number of posts : 1340
Registration date : 2012-05-01

Back to top Go down

Post by Bonita18 25th June 2012, 19:04

One hundred and five is my limit. We movedthem from Brisbane to Toowoomba wrapped in very wet blankets at dawn and placed in the back of the trailer for the two hour trip. Only 4 failed to transplant well. They gained a lot of brothers and sisters on the bigger block. There is always room for one more!

Bonita18

Number of posts : 264
Registration date : 2010-12-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozeboy 26th June 2012, 14:00

Karen, there was a good program on Landline re Kelpies. All dogs for auction were fully trained and were trialed the day before. The best dog was from Tasmania and sold because the owner didn't have enough work for him. Would have been a good dog for your girls when settled in down there.
Oh! by the way, he went for $12,000 and the second best dog went for $10,700. I'll try and get the names of the two breeders for you.

The dogs look expensive but two dogs mustered 400 hard to handle lambs in an hour. The owner mentioned he couldn't have mustered the sheep with a football team. Makes those dogs very cheap.

Ozeboy

Back to top Go down

Post by rosemeadow 2nd July 2012, 00:53

Hi everyone ! Thanks for your comments.
Actually it is proving to be easy now. I am back in Tasmania now with all my daughters for a week of the shcool holidays. I brought 110 younger roses with me this time that were easy to dig out. Also my 9 Cameilias. Washing them and getting them dipped by a official (n in Dubbo this time ) is not hard so I am just going along with out any worry now.
Bruce, David insisted on digging out every rose he had cuttings from and it was great to watch someone else digging them for a while but I really want to dig them up myself so I can say I did it all myself.
Also about the Kelpies - I need to go to bed, I will trll you next time.

rosemeadow

Back to top Go down

Post by maree 2nd July 2012, 09:46

Good on you Rosemeadow !!!
maree
maree

Number of posts : 1733
Registration date : 2012-05-25

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozeboy 2nd July 2012, 09:54

Karen, you need all the help you can get. Pleased all is going smoothly during the move.

David, hope you can save all Karens roses via the cuttings you are taking. As my previous supplier changes policy as regular as changing clothes and charges 100 to 150% more than a realistic price for budwood, you might become a cutting supplier. I can buy buds local at a realistic price and the odd 10 or 20 varietiess needed can be bought as individual mature plants. Just put a RMV eradication plan in place and replace all your understocks.
David, thanks for helping Karen I've just scratched out your name in the black book and made a new entry in the green book, well done.

Ozeboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Bonita18 3rd July 2012, 21:24

I am curious as to how much would be a realistic price for budwood. Does it depend on how rare the rose is as to what price you pay?
Would you pay by the dozen and how much for a dozedn? Thanks Bruce

Bonita18

Number of posts : 264
Registration date : 2010-12-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozeboy 3rd July 2012, 23:20

Bonita, 50c per bud for 100 or more buds is reasonable. Larger quantities would have to be negotiated.
Anything above 50C would be for less than 100.
This is based on a success rate of 90%. If under this then it's not echonomical.

Ozeboy

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lazy Rosarian 4th July 2012, 05:59

Bonita, Rustons sold the nursery lots of buds where I worked 20 years ago for 20c, so as Bruce says 50c now is not bad.
The Lazy Rosarian
The Lazy Rosarian

Number of posts : 5191

Back to top Go down

Post by rosemeadow 7th July 2012, 12:44

I wrote another post the other day and then lost it when the internet dropped out for a minute. I never got back to retype it and have been busy with our first attempts at painting some bedrooms. We are very happy with the results. But I only got to plant my Camelias and the roses have stayed in the bath of water. The Camelias seemed to have transplanted very well and that had been out of the ground for atleast five days, wrapped up in wet paper in plastic bags. I wonder if i get to heel them in before I leave. The ground was very water logged when we got here as there had been alot of rain here. The weather has been beautiful since then and until today, which is overcast and misty, almost rain. It has been lovely to seen the view of the Tamar River and the mountains on the horison behind Launceston. You can see snow on the highest ones.
We went to George Town for a drive which was nice and we look forward to going back in Summer.
Its time to go back and dig some more roses. My previous house has now been pulled down by my sister inlaw so I will be camping in my van under the carport van near the electricity box while I get get my next lot of roses. I have a laptop now but just have to get it hooked up to the internet.
Bruce, my lost post had been about the Kelpies but I tell you one day when I see you, I have to get back to some work now.

rosemeadow

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down