Rose Talk Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Watch This Space, more info coming.
by The Lazy Rosarian 21st September 2018, 06:25

» A Rose by any other name ...
by The Lazy Rosarian 17th September 2018, 19:26

» Looking for "St Brigid's Rose"
by The Lazy Rosarian 11th August 2018, 06:50

» And for David while he is away.
by neptune 19th July 2018, 23:57

» Wanting to talk with old roserian friends again, and new roserians friends too !
by rosemeadowtasmania 14th July 2018, 22:54

» Premature Petal dropping- Perth
by rosemeadowtasmania 5th July 2018, 15:27

» Vale: Meryl Constance
by rosemeadowtasmania 5th July 2018, 13:55

» Newbie to roses and forums for that matter!
by Steph 28th June 2018, 09:39

thoughts on these few roses.

+4
dannyboy
Ausrose
neptune
martino
8 posters

Go down

thoughts on these few roses. Empty thoughts on these few roses.

Post by martino 28th August 2013, 01:34

hi all just wanted few thoughts on these hybrid tea roses thanks.....happy anniversary, vienna charm, red devil, whisky, barbara streisand, isn't she lovely.

martino

Number of posts : 65
Registration date : 2013-05-03

Back to top Go down

thoughts on these few roses. Empty Re: thoughts on these few roses.

Post by neptune 28th August 2013, 01:46

Barbara Streisland....was good in the beginning and then it started not to bloom for two years.....shoveled into a pot and gave it away
neptune
neptune

Number of posts : 2450
Registration date : 2010-06-26

Back to top Go down

Post by Ausrose 28th August 2013, 01:48

Roses are viewed by different people in different ways. I look at a rose purely from the point of view as a exhibitor as that along with the populization of Australian bred roses is my principal interest in being a rosarian. None of the roses listed are Australia bred roses however Happy Anniversary is Australian raised that is it is sport (mutation) of an exotic rose that being Kardinal that sported in Australia. Disease resistance isn't a great consideration for an exhibitor as we have to spray our roses to such a degree diseases rarely get a chance to take hold. There are many aspects about what makes a rose a good rose for the show bench and those rosarians who would like to find out more about exhibiting should purchase the National Judges Handbook. Of the roses mentioned Happy Anniversary is by far the best rose for the bench being an outstanding exhibition bloom and an outstanding bunch rose. Red Devil with 70 petals is good exhibition bloom however it does suffer with bleaching if left on the bush in the hot sun. Isn't She Lovely is a magnificent full bloom and has great potential as an exhibition bloom however it is very difficult to keep the bloom clean. When Barbara Streisand was released many exhibitors saw it as a potential exhibition rose however it never quite made it on the show bench. The informal shape of Vienna Charm although becoming popular it doesn't make it on the show bench.

Last edited by Ausrose on 6th September 2013, 05:33; edited 1 time in total

Ausrose

Number of posts : 1318
Registration date : 2012-01-26

Back to top Go down

Post by dannyboy 28th August 2013, 10:50

Happy Anniversary is a very nice rose.Ozrose not much info on it on the web at all even on helpmefind.Dont know its parentage or who bred it etc.I know Thomas and Treloars sell it.

dannyboy

Number of posts : 472
Registration date : 2012-06-04

Back to top Go down

Post by silkyfizz 28th August 2013, 11:54

My Barbra Striesand is only a year old, and so far I'm very happy with it. Strong growth, beautiful flowers and wonderful perfume. Had a bit of BS initially but didn't seem to phase it. Flowers last well on bush and in vase.
silkyfizz
silkyfizz

Number of posts : 1621
Registration date : 2012-07-21

Back to top Go down

Post by Ausrose 28th August 2013, 16:08

As a sport of Kardinal the characteristics of Happy Anniversary are the same as Kardinal except Happy Anniversary is orange while Kardinal is red.

Ausrose

Back to top Go down

Post by SueH 28th August 2013, 17:55

Happy Anniversary has grown well for me. Lovely blooms and good foliage. I didn't know it was a sport of Kardinal - no wonder I like it!

SueH

Number of posts : 737
Registration date : 2013-06-06

Back to top Go down

Post by Ausrose 28th August 2013, 19:36

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
A sport of ‘Kardinal’ discovered by Graeme Catt and released in 2000 this lovely rose is the most appropriate gift on the occasion of a wedding anniversary and will continue to remind the recipient of their special day by producing the most amazing number of blooms that are neither red nor orange but a blend of both with some apricot thrown in just to give a subtle loveliness to what might otherwise be a harsh colour.
Happy Anniversary, like the parent sport, ‘Kardinal’ produces the most perfect Hybrid Tea shaped blooms with such enormous consistency and continuity – every bloom is perfect for the vase and once in the vase, will last and last.
The bush is very healthy with strong leathery, dark green foliage and the bush will grow to around 1.2 metres – you cannot resist picking the flowers for a vase!

• Delightfully named rose for anniversary gift
  • Stunning colour of red/orange – not harsh
  • Blooms of magnificent HT form
  • Prolific, healthy and free flowering

CULTURAL NOTES:
The generally sunny, dry and hot conditions of the Australian garden are particularly well suited to planting roses and roses flourish in our gardens when you take measures to provide the following:
WATER – Roses are very deep rooted plants and require one good, deep soaking at least every 10 days in hot and dry conditions.
FEED – Because roses flower throughout all but the Winter season, they should be regularly fertilized with quality (preferably organic) fertilizer which contains a balance of major nutrients (NPK) and trace elements. The fertilizer should be applied at least once a month – small amount often – with fortnightly applications of liquid seaweed over the foliage.
PRUNE – During Winter, 70% of the rose plant should be pruned and all old wood removed back to the crown and the bush pruned to shape.
During the flowering seasons, 25% of all flowering stems should be cut back after flowering to encourage strong re-growth.
MULCH – Particular attention to application of lucerne or pea straw directly around the root-zone of each rose will enhance the overall health of the rose and then the whole bed should be mulched to 75mm with any other mulch medium available.

Ausrose

Back to top Go down

Post by dannyboy 28th August 2013, 19:51

Goodwork guys on the info !.Has anyone grown Grand Amore ?.

dannyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by SueH 29th August 2013, 16:23

Hank you for that info Ausrose. As usual, very informative! Have taken particular notice about mulching. I have never thought to put another type of mulch over lucerne or pea straw, great idea and deters the blackbirds, God bless 'em!

SueH

Number of posts : 737
Registration date : 2013-06-06

Back to top Go down

Post by martino 30th August 2013, 00:33

thanks for all the info guys.

martino

Number of posts : 65
Registration date : 2013-05-03

Back to top Go down

Post by dannyboy 30th August 2013, 01:48

Has it got a sweet perfume happy anniversary.

dannyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Ausrose 30th August 2013, 03:16

Personally I am not able to detect Happy Anniversary having fragrance or Kardinal for that matter however the African Queen assures me they both have degree of fragrance as do other rosarians I have questioned on the subject. While on the subject of a sport of Kardinal there is a second sport of  Kardinal commercially available which goes by the name of Pink Kardinal.

Ausrose

Back to top Go down

Post by maree 30th August 2013, 17:54

Silky , i'm planning to plant either Babs or Charles De next year , so i'm keeping a close eye on how your Babs performs cause i don't know which one to plant !!!!
maree
maree

Number of posts : 1733
Registration date : 2012-05-25

Back to top Go down

Post by silkyfizz 30th August 2013, 18:42

Maree, for me Babs would easily win between those two. Charles is a bit slower in growth flower production. The flowers are a bit Blue Moonish, a bit dull and insipid,(if you know what I mean) but its blooms at the end of the season were much better so maybe I'm being too harsh. Babs however is strong and sturdy with gorgeous blooms that last. They are side by side and I find myself drawn to the diva. Both strongly perfumed and even in the health stakes, both got some BS but not defoliated. It's still early days yet though but I would go for Babs. Good luck with your choice!
silkyfizz
silkyfizz

Back to top Go down

Post by maree 31st August 2013, 00:16

Thanks Silky i'll be asking you the same question next year , how good though that you have room for both , gees i wish !!!!
maree
maree

Back to top Go down

Post by silkyfizz 31st August 2013, 17:49

No worries Marie.Yep, my collection of roses is growing. I just keep digging new beds, mostly for roses but other things too. Quite a few natives to feed the birds, and perennials. Trouble is I don't know when to stop, keep thinking of colour combinations, varying foliage colour and texture. Today I'm on the lookout for a good small lavender to hedge some roses, also want some dahlias to pick up pinky apricot colour. A great time of year watching things come together.
silkyfizz
silkyfizz

Back to top Go down

Post by maree 31st August 2013, 23:04

Silky sounds wonderful , better put up some pics when its finished , same here i'm always trying to find extra space in the garden , cause like you i like all plants , do you go to bed with colour combinations swirling around your head as well lol !!!
maree
maree

Back to top Go down

Post by silkyfizz 1st September 2013, 13:17

How did you know? Lol
silkyfizz
silkyfizz

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lazy Rosarian 1st September 2013, 15:16

She must have been eaves dropping Silky
The Lazy Rosarian
The Lazy Rosarian

Number of posts : 5191
Registration date : 2009-01-11

Back to top Go down

Post by maree 1st September 2013, 22:53

yep , my husband keeps saying , you've created a monster with this garden , but then he does smile when the little birds come and flit about ....
maree
maree

Back to top Go down

Post by silkyfizz 2nd September 2013, 13:15

My husband just rolls his eyes and shakes his head when I describe another project I have planned.
There are some birds making frequent visits that I'd rather didn't! The hawks, owls and currawongs come to check the aviary and create havoc. Still I'd rather a bird rich garden than none!
silkyfizz
silkyfizz

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down