Rose Talk Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Watch This Space, more info coming.
by The Lazy Rosarian 21st September 2018, 06:25

» A Rose by any other name ...
by The Lazy Rosarian 17th September 2018, 19:26

» Looking for "St Brigid's Rose"
by The Lazy Rosarian 11th August 2018, 06:50

» And for David while he is away.
by neptune 19th July 2018, 23:57

» Wanting to talk with old roserian friends again, and new roserians friends too !
by rosemeadowtasmania 14th July 2018, 22:54

» Premature Petal dropping- Perth
by rosemeadowtasmania 5th July 2018, 15:27

» Vale: Meryl Constance
by rosemeadowtasmania 5th July 2018, 13:55

» Newbie to roses and forums for that matter!
by Steph 28th June 2018, 09:39

Help! Soil and amendment recipe for planting hole for new standard roses

+4
silkyfizz
neptune
RosyTeesh
betsyw
8 posters

Go down

Help! Soil and amendment recipe for planting hole for new standard roses Empty Help! Soil and amendment recipe for planting hole for new standard roses

Post by betsyw 13th December 2012, 19:08

Look, I know this topic has been discussed in great detail somewhere on this excellent site, and recently, too, but I can't seem to find it with the search engine.

Reason for asking: A very dear friend of mine has just purchased 10 potted Iceberg 90cm standards from Treloars. She has never had a rose in her life, and no, I didn't recommend these. Still, she hasn't bought a dog of a variety, and she might be very happy with them.

She is organising to put them in the ground at her new property(a local tradesman, not a horticulturalist, is doing the work) and wanted my advice on what sort of soil to put in the holes. She was just going to put in potting mix!

I told her to hang on, that I was no expert in these matters, but I knew several. I told her I would get the best recipes from the best experts - that would be you people. No idea what existing soil is like, but if her tradie is doing the hard yakka, I figure he can create planting holes to order, using your best composites..

Can you point me to the thread(s)?
betsyw
betsyw

Number of posts : 1340
Registration date : 2012-05-01

Back to top Go down

Help! Soil and amendment recipe for planting hole for new standard roses Empty Re: Help! Soil and amendment recipe for planting hole for new standard roses

Post by RosyTeesh 13th December 2012, 19:11

I personally don't have much success planting in summer even if I water them daily Sad
RosyTeesh
RosyTeesh

Number of posts : 679
Registration date : 2012-07-11

Back to top Go down

Help! Soil and amendment recipe for planting hole for new standard roses Empty Re: Help! Soil and amendment recipe for planting hole for new standard roses

Post by neptune 13th December 2012, 19:18

Bruce , wrote up a planting advice just recently......
neptune
neptune

Number of posts : 2450
Registration date : 2010-06-26

Back to top Go down

Post by betsyw 13th December 2012, 19:20

Teesh, the roses are ordered and on their way, so not any option. To make things more complicated, they will be renting out their property for a year beginning in January, while they go o/s on sabbatical.

Your point is REALLY important. I will make sure to emphasise the need for regular water and food. Not sure if they will have a gardener tending to the place in their absence, but I doub t it. I am happy to take on teh job of going over to their place to look after things, but I doubt that tenants would welcome the intrusion. It may be wise for the real estate agent handling the place to make it a point in the lease.
Thanks, Teesh, for bringing up that issue xxxxooooo
betsyw
betsyw

Back to top Go down

Post by betsyw 13th December 2012, 19:21

Bruce, do you recall where you posted the info ?
betsyw
betsyw

Back to top Go down

Post by RosyTeesh 13th December 2012, 19:57

The only things I can suggest (having dealt with this very recently) is that you get some 'wetter soil' or those crystals to keep the soil wet. They seem to help. Also a good mulch on top, and they will need to be watered twice a day with Seasol. One of my roses survived but the other I don't think will Sad The longer she can leave them in pots the better in the shade. But if she has to plant them then just get her to try keep them well watered.
RosyTeesh
RosyTeesh

Number of posts : 679
Registration date : 2012-07-11

Back to top Go down

Post by silkyfizz 13th December 2012, 20:12

Betsy, maybe you mean this written by Finbarr:
" new plantings should go into a slurry and be kept wet until 3-5 sets of leaves. from then on slow flow with decreasing frequency is best. improving soil organic levels reduces frequency" in the thread How often do you water your Roses in your garden bed in summer months ?

The Vic Rose Society recommends using Humus Plus (which I haven't tracked down yet) Apparently made from aged mushroom compost. Make a slurry from this (or use bagged compost) in wheelbarrow and plonk rose in on the slurry, cover sides with slurry then backfill with soil. Top with peastraw or lucerne, which retains moisture well.

Hope this helps. Good luck to your friend.
silkyfizz
silkyfizz

Number of posts : 1621
Registration date : 2012-07-21

Back to top Go down

Post by paulh 13th December 2012, 23:16

For me i would do a rose bed with a good garden mix or veg mix soil, I would then dig in some aged organic cow manure, Richgro has a good one.
I would then mulch with about 10cm of the same cow manure.
paulh
paulh

Number of posts : 1065
Registration date : 2012-09-11

http://livingwithroses.weebly.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Carole 13th December 2012, 23:59

Betsy I am sure it was Finbarr.
Your friend should soak her plants in the pots for a day or so in buckets.
With mine David digs me a big hole. make a slurry in the hole. I always have a watering can filled with water and seasol as directed on pack. Some goes into the bottom of hole, add the rose with the soil from the pot as it is used to it,then as the hole is filled I pour more from the can on. When the hole is filled we pour the rest of the seasol mix over. David puts a little mound of earth round the plant to create a little pond for the plant. We then give it a very good watering and if no rain I will water it each day till it is growing well. I feed every couple of weeks with seasol mix plus I add Thrive or one of those. Mulch will help to retain the water in the soil. Fish emulsion I find is good added to feeding mix.
I hope this helps, I will ask David if he can add anything and most probably Finbarr could help.
Carole
Carole

Number of posts : 1034
Registration date : 2009-04-16

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lazy Rosarian 14th December 2012, 05:49

All the above information will help as long as the tradesman adheres to it. The bit I would add is make the hole about half the size again of the pot with all the good soils incorporated with existing soils so the roots from the pot can get into it quickly. I would check each of the pots and make sure they are not pot/root bound. If they are some teasing will be required, I just do it to all pots in case.
The Lazy Rosarian
The Lazy Rosarian

Number of posts : 5191
Registration date : 2009-01-11

Back to top Go down

Post by betsyw 14th December 2012, 06:17

This is great great great stuff. Thank you everyone We're not worthy . Cutting and pasting an info sheet for my friend now.

Also need advice on amendments - how much manure should be incorporated into the soil for each standard? Should it be mixed into the daren soil and placed in the bottom of the hole, or mixed and distrbuted in tgeh back fill soil?

Sorry to be such a pest on this, but I've never dug in standard roses and even then my experience is pretty much limited to the forgiving noisettes.
betsyw
betsyw

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lazy Rosarian 14th December 2012, 06:20

Betsy, if you choose to use 'manure' make sure it is OLD and matured. I would mix it through out all the soils.
The Lazy Rosarian
The Lazy Rosarian

Back to top Go down

Post by betsyw 14th December 2012, 06:42

Roiseman, my friend orders her horsesupplies through the local stock and feed store, and they have plenty of good stuff - huge bags of well-rotted manure. compost, lucerne. I am just wondering how much per rose at planting time. I've never dealt with cow manure, so I'm not sure about quatities.
betsyw
betsyw

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lazy Rosarian 14th December 2012, 06:53

Betsy if it was me I would only be using it to add food for the soils and microbes, not as a food for the roses. If it is well rotted it will hold water. Proportionately amounts to the other added material. If say for each rose hole you have about 20lt of medium and have 5 ingredients. A good 60 percent existing soil and 10 to 15 percent potting mix and so forth. Maybe 5 percent cow, possible 10 to 15 percent compost. The lucerne as the mulch. Hope this helps, amounts are changeable, just depends on the final number of ingredients.
The Lazy Rosarian
The Lazy Rosarian

Back to top Go down

Post by betsyw 14th December 2012, 07:11

Excellent. Thank you, roseman!
betsyw
betsyw

Back to top Go down

Post by maree 14th December 2012, 11:49

A nursery near me has Hummus Plus !!!
maree
maree

Number of posts : 1733
Registration date : 2012-05-25

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lazy Rosarian 14th December 2012, 12:14

Maree, in your opinion, what might be in it Question
The Lazy Rosarian
The Lazy Rosarian

Back to top Go down

Post by maree 14th December 2012, 12:54

Roseman , much to my delight it is raining down here , not heavy rain , just slow drippy rain , sorry , can't send it up , so i'll do a trip to nursery and find out , the nursery is about 30 mins away , i think i have used it before , i'll buy a bag and bring it home ....
maree
maree

Number of posts : 1733
Registration date : 2012-05-25

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down