Rose Talk Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Watch This Space, more info coming.
by The Lazy Rosarian 21st September 2018, 06:25

» A Rose by any other name ...
by The Lazy Rosarian 17th September 2018, 19:26

» Looking for "St Brigid's Rose"
by The Lazy Rosarian 11th August 2018, 06:50

» And for David while he is away.
by neptune 19th July 2018, 23:57

» Wanting to talk with old roserian friends again, and new roserians friends too !
by rosemeadowtasmania 14th July 2018, 22:54

» Premature Petal dropping- Perth
by rosemeadowtasmania 5th July 2018, 15:27

» Vale: Meryl Constance
by rosemeadowtasmania 5th July 2018, 13:55

» Newbie to roses and forums for that matter!
by Steph 28th June 2018, 09:39

Planting two rose plants in one hole

4 posters

Go down

Planting two rose plants in one hole Empty Planting two rose plants in one hole

Post by NEILMRITCHIE 18th October 2015, 14:15

Hi guys, thanks for making me feel welcomed. Today I bought two iceberg plants from the sunday market.......one white and another burgundy. Came up with this idea of planting both together in one hole (as they are the same variety) so that I have a bi-coloured plant when they grow up. The white has a solid strong cane whereas the burgundy has a very very slender cane (propagated from a cutting). Will they do well together? Or will the white one being stronger take over the burgundy one? Or should I plant them side by side in two different holes and later intermingle and train the canes?Would love your advice on this topic please.

NEILMRITCHIE

Number of posts : 22
Registration date : 2015-10-17

Back to top Go down

Planting two rose plants in one hole Empty Re: Planting two rose plants in one hole

Post by The Lazy Rosarian 19th October 2015, 06:29

Neil, they are both 'Icebergs', the white the original, all the other colours are supposed to be bred from the white one by a lady in Tasmania(I am not totally convinced), if any are bred from the original it will be the Burgundy one. The Burgundy one is a weaker of the two so the white will be stronger. I personally think, plant then close, but not in the same hole. If you want two forms on one bush the best way is to learn how to "bud" some roses.
The Lazy Rosarian
The Lazy Rosarian

Number of posts : 5191
Registration date : 2009-01-11

Back to top Go down

Planting two rose plants in one hole Empty Re: Planting two rose plants in one hole

Post by NEILMRITCHIE 19th October 2015, 13:29

The Lazy Rosarian wrote:Neil, they are both 'Icebergs', the white the original, all the other colours are supposed to be bred from the white one by a lady in Tasmania(I am not totally convinced), if any are bred from the original it will be the Burgundy one. The Burgundy one is a weaker of the two so the white will be stronger. I personally think, plant then close, but not in the same hole. If you want two forms on one bush the best way is to learn how to "bud" some roses.

I think I'll go with your advice "The Lazy Rosarian".....planting them side by side. I too have my doubts about planting them in one hole. As for budding, I've never tried. Still a novice with roses! Thanks for your advice.

NEILMRITCHIE

Back to top Go down

Post by SueH 19th October 2015, 13:51

You can buy a bush or standard with both grafted onto the root stock, Look pretty but am not sure how well they grow.

SueH

Number of posts : 737
Registration date : 2013-06-06

Back to top Go down

Post by silkyfizz 19th October 2015, 23:53

Planting them side by side would be my advice too Neil. As the Burgundy Iceberg is a weaker plant anyway, I would be allowing it enough room to bulk up so it doesn't get swamped by the white.
silkyfizz
silkyfizz

Number of posts : 1621
Registration date : 2012-07-21

Back to top Go down

Post by NEILMRITCHIE 21st October 2015, 11:46

SueH wrote:You can buy a bush or standard with both grafted onto the root stock,  Look pretty but am not sure how well they grow.

I know Sue, but since I got them cheap at the sunday market, I couldn't resist buying them.

NEILMRITCHIE

Back to top Go down

Post by NEILMRITCHIE 21st October 2015, 11:49

silkyfizz wrote:Planting them side by side would be my advice too Neil. As the Burgundy Iceberg is a weaker plant anyway, I would be allowing it enough room to bulk up so it doesn't get swamped by the white.

Yes, Silkyfizz, I'm waiting for the time to dig the holes. Two more to my list of roses! I'm a happy man! Laughing

NEILMRITCHIE

Back to top Go down

Post by SueH 21st October 2015, 14:11

NEILMRITCHIE wrote:
SueH wrote:You can buy a bush or standard with both grafted onto the root stock,  Look pretty but am not sure how well they grow.

I know Sue, but since I got them cheap at the Sunday market, I couldn't resist buying them.

OOOH! Which market Neil?!!! I love a Sunday market!!

SueH

Back to top Go down

Post by NEILMRITCHIE 22nd October 2015, 10:54

SueH wrote:
NEILMRITCHIE wrote:

I know Sue, but since I got them cheap at the Sunday market, I couldn't resist buying them.

OOOH! Which market Neil?!!!  I love a Sunday market!!

It's on South Gippsland hwy x Dandenong bypass. Can get some good plants and tools from there. Mostly home propagated plants. My Icebergs I paid only $8 and $10 each.

NEILMRITCHIE

Back to top Go down

Post by SueH 22nd October 2015, 16:28

Thank Neil. Do you mean the one on the old drive in?

SueH

Back to top Go down

Post by NEILMRITCHIE 23rd October 2015, 12:53

SueH wrote:Thank Neil.  Do you mean the one on the old drive in?

That's right Sue. Hope you find it interesting.

NEILMRITCHIE

Back to top Go down

Post by SueH 23rd October 2015, 15:59

Thanks Neil. Will report in!!! LOL

SueH

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down