Rose Talk Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Watch This Space, more info coming.
by The Lazy Rosarian 21st September 2018, 06:25

» A Rose by any other name ...
by The Lazy Rosarian 17th September 2018, 19:26

» Looking for "St Brigid's Rose"
by The Lazy Rosarian 11th August 2018, 06:50

» And for David while he is away.
by neptune 19th July 2018, 23:57

» Wanting to talk with old roserian friends again, and new roserians friends too !
by rosemeadowtasmania 14th July 2018, 22:54

» Premature Petal dropping- Perth
by rosemeadowtasmania 5th July 2018, 15:27

» Vale: Meryl Constance
by rosemeadowtasmania 5th July 2018, 13:55

» Newbie to roses and forums for that matter!
by Steph 28th June 2018, 09:39

Planting, Caring & Pruning of Roses using the Influence of the Moon Phases

5 posters

Go down

Planting, Caring & Pruning of Roses using the Influence of the Moon Phases Empty Planting, Caring & Pruning of Roses using the Influence of the Moon Phases

Post by Dimity Cottage 16th September 2013, 15:09

Well I do it, Farmers have done it since time in memorial, do you do it? The Use of the Moon & its Phases is a fascinating subject. If you are interested we can talk about it and perhaps if you follow the subject you might like to add your experiences. People thought I was crazing at first now they don't think I am so mad.
I plant & prune Roses everything else when I know the phases of the Moon for the year. I put my bulbs & other onion type plants in at the right time. Leafy vegies go in another time. We weed, rest, prune, plant annuals, plant perennials & shrubs at the appropriate time.
Please let me know what you guys think out there in Rose land. Witch Doctor
Dimity Cottage
Dimity Cottage

Number of posts : 333
Registration date : 2013-09-01

Back to top Go down

Planting, Caring & Pruning of Roses using the Influence of the Moon Phases Empty Re: Planting, Caring & Pruning of Roses using the Influence of the Moon Phases

Post by SueH 16th September 2013, 15:54

Encore!!! Planting, Caring & Pruning of Roses using the Influence of the Moon Phases 3318427985  Planting, Caring & Pruning of Roses using the Influence of the Moon Phases 3406359304 

SueH

Number of posts : 737
Registration date : 2013-06-06

Back to top Go down

Planting, Caring & Pruning of Roses using the Influence of the Moon Phases Empty Re: Planting, Caring & Pruning of Roses using the Influence of the Moon Phases

Post by Dimity Cottage 16th September 2013, 16:56

One of the first principles to know is that Planting or Sowing should not take place 12 hours before or after the exact changes of the Moon as germination & settling in is poor at this time. I have found 1 hour before or after may not matter much in the scheme of things.
You can get the Moon changes on the Internet but make sure you get them for your area.
During the NEW MOON phase you plant your Leafy Annuals
During the 1st QUARTER phase you plant Fruiting Annuals
This period is called the Waxing Moon when the Moon is becoming visibly bigger in size. At this time due to increased Sap Flow it is a good time to Prune, Graft & Liquid Fertilize.
During the FULL MOON phase you plant your Roses, Perennials, Fruit Trees, Take Cuttings & plant Root Crops. Plant energy is more concentrated in the root area during this time. This is also a good time to use Granulated Fertilizer.
During the LAST QUARTER it is not a good idea to plant or sow as the Earth's Gravitational Pull is at its weakest. This is a good time to, Mulch. Do Garden Maintenance, Prune if you are wanting to limit growth, Weeding & Digging up the Garden.
Then you have Barren & Fertile Days we will talk about those later. Now there is a lot more to this &each year I draw up a calendar so I know when I am doing what, if nothing else it helps me keep everything under control in the garden, a Great Maintenance Planner. Abracadabra
Dimity Cottage
Dimity Cottage

Back to top Go down

Post by SueH 16th September 2013, 18:05

Thanks Dianne. This sounds very interesting. Will now go and get my moon phases from the Net! Also the idea of a Maintenance Planner is great.
No Neptune ... we wont all be "mooning"!! LOL

SueH

Back to top Go down

Post by silkyfizz 16th September 2013, 19:08

Dianne, thank you - fascinating stuff. Can you explain how the gravitational pull of the moon affects the sap flow?
silkyfizz
silkyfizz

Number of posts : 1621
Registration date : 2012-07-21

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lazy Rosarian 17th September 2013, 05:50

Makes good sense Dianne, a friend of mine works on the moon principle with rain, a very old farmer.
The Lazy Rosarian
The Lazy Rosarian

Number of posts : 5191
Registration date : 2009-01-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Dimity Cottage 17th September 2013, 07:47

Gravitational Pull of Moon - Gardener’s know the importance of the soil's water content when planting. Consider when planting your garden, the pull of the moon and the moon's position in order to give seeds and plants the best chance to germinate, grow and develop.The Moon has a gravitational effect on the Earth. It has recently been confirmed by scientists that variations in sap flow, biological functions in plants, and subtle changes in Earth’s electro-magnetic fields, correspond to the Moon’s gravitational pull. The Moon has a roughly elliptical orbit so the gravitational pull varies throughout approx. 29.5 days. Root growth is improved when the Moon moves further away causing a decreased pull on the Earth and vice versa this force also causes the ocean tides. There will be many Sceptics and there always have been but don’t knock it before you try it.
Roseman good to know you know an old farmer using this, here's hoping new farmers might as well. Planting, Caring & Pruning of Roses using the Influence of the Moon Phases 3028820582
Dimity Cottage
Dimity Cottage

Back to top Go down

Post by Dimity Cottage 2nd October 2013, 17:27

Now for Moon Gardeners, October is the time to Prune Climbers, Ramblers & Species Roses when they have finished Flowering. Planting, Caring & Pruning of Roses using the Influence of the Moon Phases 294053457
Dimity Cottage
Dimity Cottage

Back to top Go down

Post by neptune 2nd October 2013, 17:57

most people prune July and August, now the moon wants us to prune again.......hmmmm.... maybe we should talk to the moon to get with our programme....
neptune
neptune

Number of posts : 2450
Registration date : 2010-06-26

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lazy Rosarian 2nd October 2013, 20:37

I think Dianne is saying prune(tip prune), but not a winter prune, she will correct me I am sure.
The Lazy Rosarian
The Lazy Rosarian

Number of posts : 5191
Registration date : 2009-01-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Dimity Cottage 3rd October 2013, 08:01

Yes you are correct David, I don't want to make a complete ass of myself...  Planting, Caring & Pruning of Roses using the Influence of the Moon Phases 4157704578
Dimity Cottage
Dimity Cottage

Back to top Go down

Post by SueH 3rd October 2013, 19:08

Just ignore Neptune Dianne, he's just being naughty! LOL Slap 

SueH

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down