Rose Talk Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Watch This Space, more info coming.
by The Lazy Rosarian 21st September 2018, 06:25

» A Rose by any other name ...
by The Lazy Rosarian 17th September 2018, 19:26

» Looking for "St Brigid's Rose"
by The Lazy Rosarian 11th August 2018, 06:50

» And for David while he is away.
by neptune 19th July 2018, 23:57

» Wanting to talk with old roserian friends again, and new roserians friends too !
by rosemeadowtasmania 14th July 2018, 22:54

» Premature Petal dropping- Perth
by rosemeadowtasmania 5th July 2018, 15:27

» Vale: Meryl Constance
by rosemeadowtasmania 5th July 2018, 13:55

» Newbie to roses and forums for that matter!
by Steph 28th June 2018, 09:39

Favourite

+8
paulh
silkyfizz
AutumnDamask
betsyw
The Lazy Rosarian
Barbara B
maree
RosyTeesh
12 posters

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Favourite Empty Favourite

Post by RosyTeesh 14th September 2012, 09:59

Happy Friday everyone !!

I wanted to know what everyone's favourite rose is and why. Name, type, colour and scent etc etc.

Thought it might make an interesting topic (I am sure it has been said before but I haven't been here long Smile)

Mine have to be :

Abracadabra for colour - Terrible plant and always reverts though

Blackberry Nip for scent and colour

Double Delight for size, colour, healthiness and scent

Augusta Luise for shape, colour and scent

Black Velvet for colour and shape - No scent though Sad

If anyone can recommend any of theirs I would love to hear about them Smile
RosyTeesh
RosyTeesh

Number of posts : 679
Registration date : 2012-07-11

Back to top Go down

Favourite Empty Re: Favourite

Post by maree 14th September 2012, 11:26

no worries , RosyTeesh , will go through my memory bank and sort em out ... Just got me thinking probably should star a diary of what i planted , when and why or why not i kept it ...mmmmnnn....
maree
maree

Number of posts : 1733
Registration date : 2012-05-25

Back to top Go down

Post by RosyTeesh 14th September 2012, 13:22

I tried that. I had a list, but because they're not all planted in a straight line I got frustrated and gave up lol
RosyTeesh
RosyTeesh

Back to top Go down

Post by Barbara B 14th September 2012, 15:21

Hi,
best is if you can draw a small map and write the names on it. Then you won't lose them.
I particularly like Charles de Gualle, Blueberry Hill, Brandy, General Gallieni, Crepescule and Mutabilis Chinensis.
Cross them all out - I like all my roses.
Barbara B

Barbara B

Number of posts : 429
Registration date : 2009-05-14

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lazy Rosarian 14th September 2012, 15:42

I think your idea is the best Barbara

Cross them all out - I like all my roses.
Barbara B
The Lazy Rosarian
The Lazy Rosarian

Number of posts : 5191
Registration date : 2009-01-11

Back to top Go down

Post by RosyTeesh 14th September 2012, 15:49

Great idea Barbara! I don't know why I didn't think of that haha!

I sometimes wonder if I should get rid of the ones I really don't like. Is that wasteful?

Very Happy
RosyTeesh
RosyTeesh

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lazy Rosarian 14th September 2012, 15:55

Yes that is wasteful
The Lazy Rosarian
The Lazy Rosarian

Back to top Go down

Post by RosyTeesh 14th September 2012, 16:06

My uncle usually will take ones I replace. He lives on Stradbroke Island and has a beautiful garden, so technically they will not go to waste Smile
RosyTeesh
RosyTeesh

Back to top Go down

Post by maree 15th September 2012, 01:38

Teesh , i always get rid of the ones i don't like , live in the middle of suburbia , i'm using up just about every bit of available soil on our block , so any roses or plants that don't perform get the heave ho . Soo many new roses out there , its fun trying new ones too...
maree
maree

Back to top Go down

Post by betsyw 15th September 2012, 06:44

Call it waste or call it discernment, I'm a despotic shovel pruner myself. pirat Mind you, my tastes often run counter to consensus approval: Jude the Obscure and Double Dislike went to the Great Garden in the Sky in their second year.

My best-loved rose is quite a common creature: Fragrant Cloud. Smells like no other rose I've had. In a class of its own, and to my nose ranks up there with gardenia, honeysuckle, clove pinks, butterfly ginger, orange blossom and jasmine nitidum.

Valencia is my work horse. Beautiful wafting sweet scent, long and strong stems, big well formed blooms and sturdy petals, lasts a long time in a vase, and the colour is rich, not washy yellow/apricot.

Parole is not to everyone's taste, but she is to mine in a big way. That lurid bordello cerise is uncompromising, but the high waft factor of a superb fragrance , strong stems, and excellent vase life trump colour for me. It's a good producer for me, too.

For exquisite porcelain-doll form and beautiful fragrance, Jardins de Bagatelle is my favourite white. Well, she's sort of a Clayton's white, given her little pink tinge at the centre. A mature bush with blooms in their just opened stage looks like it was created in a Dresden workshop.
betsyw
betsyw

Number of posts : 1340
Registration date : 2012-05-01

Back to top Go down

Post by maree 15th September 2012, 13:12

Betsy , i've heard you mention Fragrant Cloud before and had it in the back of my mind as a future rose , how does it go for BS and mildew up in Queensland ? Thanks
maree
maree

Back to top Go down

Post by maree 15th September 2012, 13:22

My favourite roses at the moment would be , Olde Fragrance , dark pink rose, healthy , lovely fragrance . Violina , light pink , great fragrance , healthy , Oklahoma , much better plant than Papa Meilland , a bit BS and dieback prone , but such a beautiful fragrance and nice red flower , Jubilee Celebration , the only DA , i've had thats been any good , fragrant , nodding pink flowers , Henri Matitise , dark pink -red stripey fragrant rose ..
maree
maree

Back to top Go down

Post by betsyw 15th September 2012, 15:27

maree wrote:Betsy , i've heard you mention Fragrant Cloud before and had it in the back of my mind as a future rose , how does it go for BS and mildew up in Queensland ? Thanks

Gee, I can't answer that with any certainty, maree. I don't have the name and phone number of your local strain of blackspot, for starters Wink

Seriously, though, FC (or as we like to call her, Flagrant Crowd) is one of those roses that grows happily all over the planet, from Croatia to California. This one isn't a troublemaker/heartbreaker.

HMF says she is susceptible to bs and pm, but ask around and you'll find that most people who grow FC report that she is no more, and actually a lot less susceptible than most HTs of her vintage and high fragrance. Me, I never had a problem with pm , even in the pm Paradise of Seattle where many of my roses were fuzzed and silvered at least a few months of the year.

As for blackspot, FC doesn't seem to have a really bad time even without spray, no more so surely than Valencia. No bedraggled leafless canes, no Angelface horrors here. And a good specimen of FC is really a good producer. bloombloombloom.

Best advice I can give you from one fragrance hound to another is: get one. If you don't fall in love with it, I will be surprised. And if you hate it, just let me know and I'll come to Brisbane and stand near your wheelie bin bounce
betsyw
betsyw

Back to top Go down

Post by maree 15th September 2012, 16:48

Oh Betsy , silly me , thinking you were from Brisbane ,Lol !! I'm from Victoria , just when you think you've got the names and where everyone is from , all sorted in your head , you go and get em all back the front . Sorry i was asking how it goes for BS for you in NSW . I think you've convinced me to try it , on my list for next year Betsy ....
maree
maree

Back to top Go down

Post by maree 15th September 2012, 17:23

Mmmmnnn Betsy , you got me thinking now , which rose can i pull out to put it in, that pesky Papa Meilland is looking very shaky !!!!
maree
maree

Back to top Go down

Post by betsyw 15th September 2012, 18:02

I wondered why you were asking about Brisane LOLOLOL! And my birdbrain thought that you had moved (overnight, obviously) to QLD. How insane is this ?

If you are short on space, Flagrant Crowd does just DANDY in a 18 inch pot. Will be happy as the proverbial clam for at least 2 years, and bloom like a bandit until you cull to make space for it in the ground, if you like enough to keep it. Betting you will Very Happy (yeah, I don't bother anymore with Papa M.Life is short and that one is Too. Bloody. Slow.)
betsyw
betsyw

Back to top Go down

Post by maree 15th September 2012, 18:10

Sold Betsy ( from NSW ) LOL !! Definately on my list for next year !!!!
Betsy one thing for sure if i was going to move it wouldn't be Queensland , i'd melt , hot flushes and hot weather combined would be the death of me , nah Tasmania for me , next move ...
maree
maree

Back to top Go down

Post by AutumnDamask 15th September 2012, 19:48

maree wrote:Mmmmnnn Betsy , you got me thinking now , which rose can i pull out to put it in, that pesky Papa Meilland is looking very shaky !!!!
If you're ever pulling out a Papa M then toss it my way!!
Strong as an ox up here.... Favourite 2987530908
AutumnDamask
AutumnDamask

Number of posts : 1360
Registration date : 2011-06-08

Back to top Go down

Post by betsyw 15th September 2012, 19:57

Hey, we could all gather in a circle at the summer soltice, chant some gibberish, then toss our unwanted and unloved roses back and forth to other, more loving arms. Heads up, I'm tossing out a Double Delight! Ooo, I just caught an Adolf Hortsmann! Hey, maree, here's a Violina comin' at ya! Oof, thanks for the Parole! etcetcetcetc
betsyw
betsyw

Back to top Go down

Post by silkyfizz 15th September 2012, 21:33

Betsy I think you've convinced me about FC. On my list for next year.
silkyfizz
silkyfizz

Number of posts : 1621
Registration date : 2012-07-21

Back to top Go down

Post by maree 15th September 2012, 21:35

Lol, ha ha Betsy , that is such a funny vision , the mad rose women or men ,flinging roses back and forth , brings to mind Dame Edna flinging her gladiolis at everyone lol !! AutumnDamask that bloody Papa has been the biggest pain in the butt , its a standard , i have looked after it , pampered it , babyied it , and the rotten thing now looks as sick as a dog . Maybe its just a dodgy plant .....
maree
maree

Back to top Go down

Post by RosyTeesh 15th September 2012, 22:31

betsyw wrote:For exquisite porcelain-doll form and beautiful fragrance, Jardins de Bagatelle is my favourite white. Well, she's sort of a Clayton's white, given her little pink tinge at the centre. A mature bush with blooms in their just opened stage looks like it was created in a Dresden workshop.

Betsy - This rose looks gorgeous going to add it to my wanted list!
RosyTeesh
RosyTeesh

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lazy Rosarian 16th September 2012, 05:47

Maree, don't forget standards take longer to grow as the food chain is further afield compared to a bush rose. It is possible that the understock might not be the best.

Last edited by roseman on 16th September 2012, 08:15; edited 1 time in total
The Lazy Rosarian
The Lazy Rosarian

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 16th September 2012, 06:09

Your right Dave, and if the roostock roots are poor so will the graft growth. Ever seen some standards with huge stems and then see those which are less than 1/2 " in diameter . One year one of my old clients bought these standard roses up from Melbourne, after 2 yrs half had been dug out due to poor growth, and when dug they had a root system that would fill a bread and butter plate. The others are still in but growth is pretty average.

Back to top Go down

Post by maree 16th September 2012, 07:48

Roseman / Ozroz . its in its third year now , and doesn't look any different from its first year , it had die back too , so i removed the diseased canes and no new canes have budded . I notice that on Aoteroa too , no new canes after pruning , all the others have new buds for new canes coming through . Ahhh i dunno , so you think , the roots could be the problem ?
maree
maree

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next